Really happy with Marshamallow... battery performance, FPS...

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
With all the negativity surrounding the MM update on this phone, I think it should be noted that I have had nothing but positivity to report.

This morning in my dark room I had my screen dimmed down to 7%, and I was www surfing, amazon, and downloading Android Wear apps for my moto 360 watch with the USB cable plugged in. After an hour of use with the screen at 7% brightness, my power consumption is shown below. So basically everything in the background is running really really lean. I never saw this kind of efficiency on lollipop.

Capture_2016-05-08-08-52-18_zpsumhurkos.png

One more thing I just discovered about the FPS... I can touch my finger on the sensor and double-tap the glass to wake the phone. I don't actually need to do a hard-click the FPS button.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Always nice to hear some positive stuff!:) But if I understand correctly, those battery stats are after an hour while plugged in and charging. How's the actual battery life?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Always nice to hear some positive stuff!:) But if I understand correctly, those battery stats are after an hour while plugged in and charging. How's the actual battery life?

Correct those are my process power usage stats with the USB plugged in, and thats mainly what I am trying to illustrate. Just how power-lean my phone has become under typical usage with the MM update. Since you asked, With the screen auto-brightness activated, running off the battery I get a full evening of screen on time (~5+ hours) and still have 35-40% by the time I go to sleep around 11~12. This is after a day of average work usage for voice calls.

Basically as long as I keep my screen brightness in check... I am A-OK.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
My battery life under MM (T-Mobile) is increasing over the last few weeks, with no change in how I use the phone. How can this be? The apps are getting tweaked by developers to be more efficient under MM. That's the only explanation I can think of. But whatever, 40% at the end of some days is excellent considering battery and screen size.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
My battery life under MM (T-Mobile) is increasing over the last few weeks, with no change in how I use the phone. How can this be? The apps are getting tweaked by developers to be more efficient under MM. That's the only explanation I can think of. But whatever, 40% at the end of some days is excellent considering battery and screen size.

Yeah that makes sense... one thing I am much more comfortable with lately is letting my apps run idle in RAM and in the background. I guess there could be some updates happening in that background activity that could be resulting in my efficiency improvements.

Also a BIG part of my phones battery life is my Moto 360, the watch serves as my notification window and my text messaging portal. So my phone and its screen pretty much remain off throughout the day unless I need to take a voice call, which the moto can't do.

Last edited:

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
My phone must be from another planet.... My battery life is crap after the update

Posted via the Android Central App

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
My phone must be from another planet.... My battery life is crap after the update

Maybe you use the phone more than we do? Sorry to hear you're still having the problem. I can only compare the V10 to my most recent phone, the G4. V10 is the same or better than the G4.

mattdamiz85

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you. Mine is crap too. Guess mine is from that same planet as yours.

As is mine.... so much so I used my work phone (iPhone 6s) for a camera on my last beach vacation. My V10 was draining like crazy. Not to mention the iPhone is in a lifeproof.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Here's some screen caps that show my typical data usage for this billing period (4/25 - 5/25). As you can see I hardly use any cellular data, and I am forced to use wifi for almost everything. Heavy hitters are youtube and veetle for movie/TV show streaming. Verizon cellular coverage is pathetically weak in my neighborhood, and its not exactly cheap either. Verizon cellular strength 2/4-3G is typical.

Sometimes (but not always) I will plug my phone into a 5V USB cigarette lighter plug when I use driving GPS.

Capture_2016-05-09-15-49-10_zpsalhbluqq.png

Capture_2016-05-09-15-49-35_zps1z3mfn94.png

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Took it off the charger around 10pm last night and at 5:30 this morning was still at 100 % when I checked..it has dropped down to 92% with me on it for a hour and a half,but that is what it is supposed to do.