Boot loop problem and my factory repair story

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I almost wish mine would bootloop so I could send it in and get this overheating/battery drain fixed. Sad that I am forced to carry an extra battery if I leave my house for more than a couple hours. Factory reset helps with the heat a little for awhile but it always ends up back to overheating. Oh well...upgrade due next month. No idea what phone I want next.
I know, I've said same thing. It's funny but I can't get my V10 to bootloop.
Gave up. Heat, brightness up, etc. But just won't bootloop. I want it to so I can get it repaired for good before October 2017. I think after that 2 year point the extended free repair will not be an option.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if they actually check them before repair to verify the bootloop or do they just see bootloop on the repair order and swap the board out? If they don't really verify the bootloop then just sending it in saying it bootlooped could be an option. I've even had thermal shutdown warnings and no bootloop. Guess I'm just lucky...or unlucky depending on how you think about it.

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if they actually check them before repair to verify the bootloop or do they just see bootloop on the repair order and swap the board out? If they don't really verify the bootloop then just sending it in saying it bootlooped could be an option. I've even had thermal shutdown warnings and no bootloop. Guess I'm just lucky...or unlucky depending on how you think about it.
They do check. I had sent mine in like a year ago because I was having camera problems. I also noted that the phone started bootlooping on the ticket as well. When I got it back it just said camera module replaced.

ardoin

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Just wanted to report my experience. I got my phone 12/2015 and it started doing this around 10/2017. Just got a mail back from them saying they're fixing it, "In Warranty" (Unit is not charging with cable). So there's 22 months at least.

Also I was able to pull my stuff from the phone and factory reset by running it inside the freezer (usb cable through door). I actually froze it overnight and tried to boot it quickly outside the freezer. In addition to bad condensation, it went back to bootloop mode soon after it booted up so I didn't have time to copy anything. But re-freezing it for like 30 min and then leaving it in worked great.

A side note, I'm using my old LG Optimus Pro G while my phone's being repaired. I replaced the digitizer because my daughter broke it (got her a Turbo 2 with "unbreakable screen" as she broke the Optimus screen a few times). And it's working amazing, great phone 4 years and running.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Question to anyone who has sent a phone to LG for repair...do I send the battery with it? The website said to remove the battery but it doesn't specifically say to remove it and enclose it or remove it and not enclose it.

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Question to anyone who has sent a phone to LG for repair...do I send the battery with it? The website said to remove the battery but it doesn't specifically say to remove it and enclose it or remove it and not enclose it.
No you do not send the battery.

DriftinZombie

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
Hello everyone, I've been following this post since the beginning just reading your experiences. The V10 I have was manufactured 01/16 and was purchased in 02/16 and it stopped working at the 1 year mark.

T-Mobile did nothing but suggest a new phone. (Sister was still making payments on it.) She wanted nothing to do with it so she gave it to me to tinker with on 07/17. I was intending to do the fix myself seeing that it was out of the 15 month warranty mark and bought the parts but never got around to it.

I was about to recycle it when I read on another forum that LG extended the warranty to 24 months. So I went ahead and contacted LG via chat (12/27) and told them the situation. They said to send it in and I didn't need a receipt (I could have gotten it if needed). They provided the label and I shipped it (12/28) and my phone arrived yesterday 01/03/18.

The diagnostic was the same as others here. Couldn't charge with cable so the motherboard was being replaced at no charge and being shipped today! This is 2 years from the manufacturer date. So there is still hope!

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone, I've been following this post since the beginning just reading your experiences. The V10 I have was manufactured 01/16 and was purchased in 02/16 and it stopped working at the 1 year mark.

T-Mobile did nothing but suggest a new phone. (Sister was still making payments on it.) She wanted nothing to do with it so she gave it to me to tinker with on 07/17. I was intending to do the fix myself seeing that it was out of the 15 month warranty mark and bought the parts but never got around to it.

I was about to recycle it when I read on another forum that LG extended the warranty to 24 months. So I went ahead and contacted LG via chat (12/27) and told them the situation. They said to send it in and I didn't need a receipt (I could have gotten it if needed). They provided the label and I shipped it (12/28) and my phone arrived yesterday 01/03/18.

The diagnostic was the same as others here. Couldn't charge with cable so the motherboard was being replaced at no charge and being shipped today! This is 2 years from the manufacturer date. So there is still hope!
Hey they fixed mine and replaced my cracked screen after I opened it up and attempted fixing myself.
Think they are pretty liberal fixing V10s with bootloop.

Jacque2112

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
To answer your question... here is my experience so far...

I shipped mine in to LG on the 17th of this month (January - 2018). My V10 did the boot loop issue on the 16th, needless to say I wasn't happy and I'm a big LG fan.

Called LG (well out of warranty I bought my phone on 8-8-2016 and I'm 18 months in) and they emailed me a shipping label. Bought a Revvl plus to use from T-Mobile while I wait for LG to repair my phone. Zero out of pocket (not even taxes).

Received an email tonight from LG:

Service Information Unit 1 of 1
Service Information
RA Number 000000000000
Symptom: Unit is not charging with cable Repair: Replaced board
Model H901BK
IMEI 000000000000000
Service Cost 0.00
RA Created 01/16/2018 14:40 CT
Diagnosed 01/23/2018 11:51 CT
Shipped In 01/23/2018 10:55 CT
Repaired 01/23/2018 19:01 CT
Received 01/23/2018 11:43 CT
Shipped / Tracking 01/23/2018 20:06 CT

This is my manufacturer information:

IMEI: 000000000000000
Brand: LG
Phone model: V10 H901
Serial number: 0000000000000
Product model: LGH901BK
Manufacture date: March 03, 2016
Shipped from factory: March 04, 2016
Estimated phone age: 1 year(s) 10 month(s) 3 week(s)
Buyer code: TMO
Buyer name: T-MOBILE
CSN number: LG0000000000000
Blacklist status*: CLEAN

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like my experience. Everything fixed for free. Same diagnosis as well. I think it's great that LG is fixing all the V10s for free even well out of warranty. Great customer service!

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
My V10 just hit the bootloop.. It was fine one min and the next it was stuck on the lg logo.. Nothing has helped.. Time to figure out a backup phone till this one comes back.
Do I go straight to LG or Verizon to get this repaired/or replaced???

It's set up for RMA via LG.. Do i really need to send in org battery/charger? (that's what i was told) and I hope it's not a 2 week turn around time :(

Last edited:

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
They told me to definitely NOT send in the battery, charger, and battery cover when I sent mine to LG. All I sent was the actual phone. They said anything else would be discarded and not replaced. Also make sure you remove your sim card if you have one and your microSD card.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks kixfan! I did remove sim/microSD card. I did my RMA via the chat (LG website-had the info emailed) and they told me to send phone, original battery, original charger in (I asked what do i send in)... And I asked will I get this back; they said yes. I hope so! It was delivered this am (shipped 5-10)

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Weird. I did mine through the LG website and was told to only send the phone as anything else would be discarded. Different techs I guess. Maybe they are replacing your phone instead of repairing it. That would make sense in that case.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That's what my repair said too. Must be the standard fix for bootloop or any other issue they find with a V10. I originally sent it in for overheating. The website said the issue I reported was not charging with cable yet I never said that anywhere.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Got my phone and everything else sent with it (charger/adapter, batter, and back cover) back. It's weird b/c there was a sim card (not my carrier) on the tape (that I wrapped the cord with).. Going back and requesting a new card to be safe (mine's was here with me the whole time)