Can we stop calling the LG V20 a replacement phone?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I see your point, but frankly most of LG sales for the V20 will probably be Note 7 ex-patriots. Local Best Buy and Verizon stores have even said this. Shame though LG did not make a better marketing effort, but that's how LG rolls.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank God!

Agree in regards to signal reception.

The more I use my Note 4 (waiting for V20) I notice how weak LTE and wifi reception were on the Note 7. With the Note 4, I get reception where the Note 7 failed and wifi stays cool while downloading. The Note 7 got rather warm. The Note 4 gets better battery life in weaker signal areas.

The Note 7 was a great device, tempered by weak signal. Hoping not the same for the V20. I have documented the dBm signal in various areas where the Note 7 had issue and the Note 4 does not.

You do not notice weak signal if in strong areas- ignorance is bliss.

AzSportsFan86

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I am using my first post to say it is my note 7 replacement and I don't think it lives up to the N7. I really like the phone but something about it just feels...less than. I really believe the 7 was the best phone of the year BY FAR. I am having a hard time adjusting to it for some reason. my biggest annoyance so far is the finger print scanner. seems like it takes 2 tries each time. kinda hard to get my finger over it correctly without feeling around for it first. I will give it another week and decide if I wanna go to the pixel xl or the moto z.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
At the same price I would agree (AT&T must be trying to make money off Note 7 recallers), but at $672 and also the $200 BB card, IMO bridges total cost and then some (even without the BB card). The V20 though may surpass in some regards:

1. Two lenses (just hope tap and shoot and low light are as N7 good for standard lens- or it would negate)
2. Improved DACs
3. Less fragile build (lens glass could be issue though)
4. Replaceable battery (Samsung wished this now, me thinks)
5. Better LTE and wifi reception (Note 7 has weak LTE and wifi)

No water resistance though, but with a case and presuming the front is not a sponge, it should provide some protection from brief rain exposure or dampness.

Number 5 BTW is a biggie IMO. That was the N7 Achilles heel and why some reported bad battery life sometimes and other times good battery life.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I am using my first post to say it is my note 7 replacement and I don't think it lives up to the N7. I really like the phone but something about it just feels...less than. I really believe the 7 was the best phone of the year BY FAR. I am having a hard time adjusting to it for some reason. my biggest annoyance so far is the finger print scanner. seems like it takes 2 tries each time. kinda hard to get my finger over it correctly without feeling around for it first. I will give it another week and decide if I wanna go to the pixel xl or the moto z.

You must have a bad one? Everyone here has been racing about how quick the finger print scanner is.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
At the same price I would agree (AT&T must be trying to make money off Note 7 recallers), but at $672 and also the $200 BB card, IMO bridges total cost and then some (even without the BB card). The V20 though may surpass in some regards:

1. Two lenses (just hope tap and shoot and low light are as N7 good for standard lens- or it would negate)
2. Improved DACs
3. Less fragile build (lens glass could be issue though)
4. Replaceable battery (Samsung wished this now, me thinks)
5. Better LTE and wifi reception (Note 7 has weak LTE and wifi)

No water resistance though, but with a case and presuming the front is not a sponge, it should provide some protection from brief rain exposure or dampness.

Number 5 BTW is a biggie IMO. That was the N7 Achilles heel and why some reported bad battery life sometimes and other times good battery life.

#5 IS a biggie... but one I didn't have an issue with, even though I live in a somewhat remote area and weak antenna phones have been a problem for me in the past. I'm on Verizon, although I don't know how that could make any difference...

and #4... yeah... bad karma boomerang on that. Their customers said, No. They said yes anyway... Hmmm...

#1... initial reviews are saying low light photos are not so great...

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I planned to get the V20 in any situation. It would have been nice to team the V20 and Note7; that's a lot of power. Three days in to the V20 ownership experience I can say, subjectively, that it is a solid performer with (thus far) amazing battery life/power management.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
For the person with the fingerprint sensor issue above, did you remove the protective film from the fingerprint sensor? I didn't realize it had a protective film at first

Osahar 87

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Well, and the screen. And the spen. And the wireless charging. And Samsung pay. And the animated gif maker. Ok, nobody used the animated gif maker.

The 7 was great, but it's a memory now. The V20 has better second screen lockscreen notifications, an IR blaster, a cool screen capture app that is about as good as the spen screen capture feature, reversible capacitance buttons, removable battery, high end DACs, focus tracking, and focus peaking. And build quality is on par with the 7.

So all in all its a great replacement phone. Lol just kidding OP.
The N7 was slow, bloated and the screen is way overhyped. While the spen was nice I barely used it. Battery life was terrible, LTE/WiFi signal was laughable. So glad I departed from it.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
The N7 was slow, bloated and the screen is way overhyped. While the spen was nice I barely used it. Battery life was terrible, LTE/WiFi signal was laughable. So glad I departed from it.

Now that my Note7 is waiting to be returned, after a factory reset, it's taken over 48 hours to run the battery down to 14% as of this post. Of course the device's interface isn't cluttered with my favorite apps and so forth but I did play YouTube videos for eight hours yesterday.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to testing the Note 7 replacement device's signal, AKA- V20 ;) Joke for the OP.

Case in point: My basement the Note 7 struggled for LTE (first phone to have the issue for me). Note 4 is fine. My desk at work I get 97 dBm with the Note 4, but 107 dBm with the Note 7. That is a bigger difference than the ten points suggests.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a replacement phone for many of us....but I'm keeping both. I needed a back up phone and my V20 is it. I actually really enjoyed it over the weekend. The only thing I really dont like is the LCD screen which probably takes getting used too...also it just opened up a whole new set of habits for me....now i have to have expensive headphones....lol. I am still using my N7, I am back n forth between the 2 (yes I know...blah, blah, blah). Anyway, If LG keeps it up, Samsung will have some serious competition....

jordankreationz

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a replacement phone for many of us....but I'm keeping both. I needed a back up phone and my V20 is it. I actually really enjoyed it over the weekend. The only thing I really dont like is the LCD screen which probably takes getting used too...also it just opened up a whole new set of habits for me....now i have to have expensive headphones....lol. I am still using my N7, I am back n forth between the 2 (yes I know...blah, blah, blah). Anyway, If LG keeps it up, Samsung will have some serious competition....
Well you'll get the free $150 headphones from LG. I just listened to mine thru my Sammy grasshopper headphones tonight with the quad dacand it was pretty sweet. As of the 26th I'll be trying for my free headphones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can we please stop calling the V20 a "replacement" phone now? Most of the people that has it, now like it and are impressed.. So, can it be a standalone phone now? Haha or is it too soon?

Well technically unless its your very first phone it is a replacement for something but I get your drift. It's not second to anything out there unless you want it to be.

AzSportsFan86

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I have taken the sticker off already and still have issues with the scanner. Its driving me crazy. Other than that the screen is my only other issue. Its good but im sorry, its not as good as the n7. I do love the phone though. Gonna take some time to really get used to it. Dying to get the headphones!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress