V20 Camera tutorial?

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I am a novice when it comes to manual cam settings and really don't have the time to study up on a photography book to learn all the ins and outs. I would like to take advantage of some of the basic manual setting the V20 cam offers.

Anybody have any video recommendations for tutorials? I know it's probably too early for a V20 specific video, maybe not. Any suggestions for instructional videos nobs like me? Preferably closer to the V20 functions.

BB_Bmore

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
There's a built in tutorial in the camera app but I guess the best right now would be looking into a G5 camera tutorial or V 10 since they are the closest you will get to this very new amazing... Did I mention that it's amazing, device.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't had the V20 yet to know the exact layout, so here's some general tips based on my G4 experience.

The shutter speed is how long it activates the sensor. The faster the speed, the less light it captures but freezes the action. Slower shutter speeds let in more light, but moving objects will start to blur. For longer exposures (about 1/60sec or slower, especially for a full second and more), you'll want to prop it up or get a tripod adapter so you don't blur things with camera shake.

ISO is how sensitive the sensor is to light. The lower the number, the less light it'll pick up but it'll be more crisp. Increasing the ISO can help in low light, at the expense of adding more noise to the image. Ideally, you'll want it as low as possible while balancing out the other settings.

The aperture is fixed and can't be changed, so ignore that part of this chart. Basically it controls the amount of light through the lens itself and also affects depth of field.

05f4eb3081b1c7fb7f99d91a088168f1.jpg

The AE-L button locks the shutter and ISO levels to your manually set values. It's automatically activated when you set them. Turning it off basically puts it back into an auto type mode. With this off, there may be a +/- button that activates that lets you adjust how bright or dark you want the image relative to the auto exposure calculation.

White balance is used to adjust the color temp. I usually leave this on auto.

Manual focus should be self explanatory, but I believe has a focus peeking function. This will highlight the areas of the scene that are in focus to help you zero in when using manual focus.

The flash has an additional function called rear curtain sync, indicated by an R next to the icon. When active, it uses the flash, but only at the end of the exposure. This is useful with long term exposures to show speed and create things like light trails.

50c5016281c6fae553c8c967eecaac20.jpg

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't had the V20 yet to know the exact layout, so here's some general tips based on my G4 experience.

The shutter speed is how long it activates the sensor. The faster the speed, the less light it captures but freezes the action. Slower shutter speeds let in more light, but moving objects will start to blur. For longer exposures (about 1/60sec or slower, especially for a full second and more), you'll want to prop it up or get a tripod adapter so you don't blur things with camera shake.

ISO is how sensitive the sensor is to light. The lower the number, the less light it'll pick up but it'll be more crisp. Increasing the ISO can help in low light, at the expense of adding more noise to the image. Ideally, you'll want it as low as possible while balancing out the other settings.

The aperture is fixed and can't be changed, so ignore that part of this chart. Basically it controls the amount of light through the lens itself and also affects depth of field.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161024/05f4eb3081b1c7fb7f99d91a088168f1.jpg

The AE-L button locks the shutter and ISO levels to your manually set values. It's automatically activated when you set them. Turning it off basically puts it back into an auto type mode. With this off, there may be a +/- button that activates that lets you adjust how bright or dark you want the image relative to the auto exposure calculation.

White balance is used to adjust the color temp. I usually leave this on auto.

Manual focus should be self explanatory, but I believe has a focus peeking function. This will highlight the areas of the scene that are in focus to help you zero in when using manual focus.

The flash has an additional function called rear curtain sync, indicated by an R next to the icon. When active, it uses the flash, but only at the end of the exposure. This is useful with long term exposures to show speed and create things like light trails.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161024/50c5016281c6fae553c8c967eecaac20.jpg
Man, I could had used that chart during my days in Photography class.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I really wish we can change the focus peaking color to red. Green just doesn't work well for me especially taking pics of landscape. Plus I'm also accustomed to red from my dslr/mirrorless cameras.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Can you customize tap and shoot settings if they are not great by default? I want it to be like the N7 with great tap and shoot pics for night and day.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Can you customize tap and shoot settings if they are not great by default? I want it to be like the N7 with great tap and shoot pics for night and day.
First thing I suggest is change it to 16mp 4:3 ratio... It comes default to 12mp 16:9 ratio ..Some people are scared away from 4:3 but the note 7 also shoots in 4:3 at 12mp.....(Note 7 ScreenCap)
8940043b99fcf83876977c7aeea7eb1a.jpg

jordankreationz

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I did learn a few things by downloading the phone manual today. I wish they would do some downloadable extra options like Samsung offers for their camera. I got some fairly decent shots tonight. Some will require editing which is one thing that note 7 didn't require. But with Snapseed I think there is definitely hope. I didn't feel that until today. I tell you one thing. I'm sure enough ordering a skin or thin case (poetic) if I keep this sucker. It's a slippery little booger.

BB_Bmore

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I did learn a few things by downloading the phone manual today. I wish they would do some downloadable extra options like Samsung offers for their camera. I got some fairly decent shots tonight. Some will require editing which is one thing that note 7 didn't require. But with Snapseed I think there is definitely hope. I didn't feel that until today. I tell you one thing. I'm sure enough ordering a skin or thin case (poetic) if I keep this sucker. It's a slippery little booger.
Is the phone manual link in the papers that come with the packaging?

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I remember hearing something about quick button presses to access the camera and quick notes? Any info on this? I remember the v10 had it on the volume buttons.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I remember hearing something about quick button presses to access the camera and quick notes? Any info on this? I remember the v10 had it on the volume buttons.
It's only when the screen is off. Double tap volume up for quick capture anddouble tap volume down for camera.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

I believe you can change that in the settings somewhere, you can set a function for the volume up button, and one for the volume down as well. I believe by default double pressing the volume down opens the camera.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
This was for the G4 but most of the tips carried forward to the V10. Not exactly device specific, but a good tutorial all the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8gshF_hTOo

That video is great, thank you so much! LG hasn't changed their manual camera UI much since the G4, so it's still applicable. And to be honest, I don't think they've changed the camera module itself since then either lol.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
First thing I suggest is change it to 16mp 4:3 ratio... It comes default to 12mp 16:9 ratio ..Some people are scared away from 4:3 but the note 7 also shoots in 4:3 at 12mp.....(Note 7 ScreenCap)

Thanks. I was playing with camera setting yesterday and saw it. Don't get why 16:9 is default.