High Contrast

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine has been the same. Although, I do notice that the high contrast allows me lower the screen brightness down to 50% with ease now, and still see it very well. Sometimes I can go to 40% .

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been the same. Although, I do notice that the high contrast allows me lower the screen brightness down to 50% with ease now, and still see it very well. Sometimes I can go to 40% .

Did you come from a Galaxy phone? I find the screen to be way brighter than my V10. Sometimes I put it down to 10% haha not often though.. I keep mine on automatic

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Am I the only one that noticed the screen used a bit more battery ok high contrast? Or am I crazy?

I have only had it on high contrast since I got it yesterday. As far as battery it has been unplugged for almost 17 hours and I still have 35%. Thats with an hour plus of spotify streaming to bluetooth. I have autobrightness on with comfort mode set to medium. Since I got home from work 5 hours ago I havent really put this phone down. I'm super impressed with battery life.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have only had it on high contrast since I got it yesterday. As far as battery it has been unplugged for almost 17 hours and I still have 35%. Thats with an hour plus of spotify streaming to bluetooth. I have autobrightness on with comfort mode set to medium. Since I got home from work 5 hours ago I havent really put this phone down. I'm super impressed with battery life.

I didn't get too much less with high contrast than I did with the normal theme.. But that's amazing.. The battery on this device is something else.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Ironically high contrast boosts the brightness in background of the display even though the dark colors are what is showing. This is a feature better suited for AMOLED, since only the lit pixels are bright and the dark ones are mainly off. LCD all pixels are on regardless of what is light and dark. The reason brightness setting can be low is because the contrast setting is already boosting the lumen output to the display.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Are u all talking about high contrast screen under accessibility? I thought the dark background would save battery?

Though it would be great, LCD does not get any power benefit from dark backgrounds. The entire display is on all the time with the same level of power output to each pixel, based on the brightness setting. The accessibility setting ironically boosts the brightness even more for the bright to contrast with dark more. Depending on how the display was assembled, you might notice more light bleed as well, if your display has much of that.

The only thing that helps an LCD to use less power is the brightness setting.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Though it would be great, LCD does not get any power benefit from dark backgrounds. The entire display is on all the time with the same level of power output to each pixel, based on the brightness setting. The accessibility setting ironically boosts the brightness even more for the bright to contrast with dark more. Depending on how the display was assembled, you might notice more light bleed as well, if your display has much of that.

The only thing that helps an LCD to use less power is the brightness setting.

I understand LCD vs AMOLED, and that LCD is always on (which I hate, and prefer AMOLED). But the high contrast setting isn't just boosting the lumen output, but converts much of the washed out white space to black. This makes it much easier to read, and I can turn the brightness down much further. Here is the setting in the phone that shows the difference.

I can't screen shot the drop down, but the default color is bright white and looks terrible with small font. The contrast setting changes it to black, and so much easier to read.

Capture+_2016-10-27-15-44-25.jpg

Frundeh Tabeh

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
I understand LCD vs AMOLED, and that LCD is always on (which I hate, and prefer AMOLED). But the high contrast setting isn't just boosting the lumen output, but converts much of the washed out white space to black. This makes it much easier to read, and I can turn the brightness down much further. Here is the setting in the phone that shows the difference.

I can't screen shot the drop down, but the default color is bright white and looks terrible with small font. The contrast setting changes it to black, and so much easier to read.

View attachment 244011

So does high contrast drains battery more or less ?
Beacause I wish to switch to high contrast on my lg g5 but I wanna know the effects before doing that

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas