Lg v20 vs. Note 7, got both, let's compare!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was getting really good battery with the Note 7, so if this v20 can get me somewhat comparable battery life I'm good, the moto x pure had really mediocre battery life

The combo of the 1440p LCD and the hot running 808 hurt the MXPE. I stopped gaming with it since battery life was awful for that. Just used it for everything but games. Maps hurt it too. Anything the 808's inefficient GPU had to deal with.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to try to come up with justifications to give my husband why I'm going to keep both phones... Any logical insight that you all could give me would be much appreciated :) I'm starting to like the v20, but I still don't want to give up my Note 7

Happy wife, happy life. For reals.

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
The combo of the 1440p LCD and the hot running 808 hurt the MXPE. I stopped gaming with it since battery life was awful for that. Just used it for everything but games. Maps hurt it too. Anything the 808's inefficient GPU had to deal with.

To be honest though I preferred the display on the moto x pure, than I do the LG v20, the colors were more vibrant, but the v20 is starting to grow on me, I'm sure eventually I'll get used to the screen on this phone, I'm enjoying the battery on the v20

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
For the display? That's really going to be a subjective one I think... I think younger eyes are going to like the LG better. I say that because as we age, we don't see colors as well, and are probably more attracted to the really oversaturated colors in the display on the Samsung. I myself pulled up two pictures side by side and was drawn to the Samsung, but then I realized that the background that was supposed to be white was actually sort of blue... the color on the LG was more true to life probably, but I guess I've just become conditioned to that oversaturation from Samsung :) for people with very young eyes , it's probably way too much! LOL
Probably because of my years of conditioning using nothing but Samsung , I do prefer the display on the Note 7. However, it's not as big of a deal as I thought it would be. For me, the nod goes to Samsung here , but not by as wide of a margin as I thought it would
I'm 41 and get eye strain/fatigue from amoled displays when viewing for more than 1 hour. I like the way amoled looks but I now prefer IPS displays for being easy on my eyes.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly what I did... added a line to my plan so I can compare the two... :)

I had read through this thread just before I went into the att store to check the V20 out so that's how I got the idea :) it seems like a bit of a hassle to go through since I know one device will end up being returned sooner than later, but I'd hate to lose my N7 and find out I loved it so much that I regret giving it up.

I'm 29 and I honestly love the AMOLED display on the 7, I dig it being more vibrant and crisp than the v20 for sure. But my last 3 phones have been Sammy units so I'm sure it's just something I've become used to. I keep weighing the pros and cons, it's definitely a nice phone. Build quality is pretty good, I really like the lack of giant bezels on the V20, and the second screen (even with the 20ish minutes I spent with the phone) seems super useful and a killer idea really. It's that much easier/more fluid to switch between commonly used apps and to toggle the most commonly used settings. To be honest I haven't used the Edge feature much at all on the Note, pretty much only have used it for text messages and that's about it. Mostly just dig the aesthetic of the phone being curved.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a worthwhile replacement for my Note. I don't want a smaller screened phone, the S7E is a good phone but just not exactly what I'm looking for. And having Nougat right out of the box definitely has my attention. I didn't even spend enough time with the device to really explore all the new features it has.

Does the V20 use the same sim as the Note? If so, I think I will do the whole 14 day trial with it and just swap the sim from my Note and just have at it.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Does the V20 use the same sim as the Note? If so, I think I will do the whole 14 day trial with it and just swap the sim from my Note and just have at it.

They both use nano sim, so yes. I used my Note 5, which has a nano sim after returning my Note 7,and I didn't need to switch it out when I bought the LG v20.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There is no comparison. Note 7 blows it away in every category. That said Note 7 no longer exists so it is kind of irrelevant.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
To be honest though I preferred the display on the moto x pure, than I do the LG v20, the colors were more vibrant, but the v20 is starting to grow on me, I'm sure eventually I'll get used to the screen on this phone, I'm enjoying the battery on the v20

Out of box 100% agree, but you can calibrate the display in accessibility settings- why they put the settings there makes zero sense, but you can make the display look very nice and to your preference.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Out of box 100% agree, but you can calibrate the display in accessibility settings- why they put the settings there makes zero sense, but you can make the display look very nice and to your preference.
Can I make it look just like Note 7?LOL

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems a net wash IMO. I prefer flat displays and also prefer AMOLED. The calibration makes a good difference for the V20, since do not care for the Smurf tone.

Osahar 87

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
There is no comparison. Note 7 blows it away in every category. That said Note 7 no longer exists so it is kind of irrelevant.
Lies lol!!!. Screw what the Note 8 is going to look like...I'm looking forward to the next LG V series phone. This phone is amazing and fast!!

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Lies lol!!!. Screw what the Note 8 is going to look like...I'm looking forward to the next LG V series phone. This phone is amazing and fast!!

Hurry, LG V30. The Twenty has exceeded my reasonable expectations for it. Maybe the Thirty gets a stylus that I'll seldom use?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

It amazes me so many people say the Note 7 doesn't exist... There are approximately 1 million people still using it... refusing to give it back...

That said, I have both in hand, and the Note 7 does not blow it away in every category. so far...

Audio. Bluetooth connectivity or plugged in with a pair of earphones, the LG v20 really does excel. I realize sound is a subjective matter, but it's so much better it doesn't really even leave room to say it's a matter of preference.

Internet connectivity speed through wifi - the LG consistently makes more use of the bandwidth... it's faster.

Signal strength - seem to be dead even at this point.

Jury's still out for me... I'm trying to set aside my Sammy bias and give the LG a chance...

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The financial liability you would incur if it happens to catch fire and injure or burn something down would be too great for me.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It amazes me so many people say the Note 7 doesn't exist... There are approximately 1 million people still using it... refusing to give it back...

That said, I have both in hand, and the Note 7 does not blow it away in every category. so far...

Audio. Bluetooth connectivity or plugged in with a pair of earphones, the LG v20 really does excel. I realize sound is a subjective matter, but it's so much better it doesn't really even leave room to say it's a matter of preference.

Internet connectivity speed through wifi - the LG consistently makes more use of the bandwidth... it's faster.

Signal strength - seem to be dead even at this point.

Jury's still out for me... I'm trying to set aside my Sammy bias and give the LG a chance...
That was my stance too, until the flight ban. No desire to device juggle, so with Note 4 until BB gets a V20. If the $200 trade goes away, will get from Verizon store when back from trip.