Note 4 to LG V20

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

So I am thinking leaving my now 2yrld Note 4 for a LG V20, and wanted to know how are you finding:
- Display
- Battery Life
- Heat (does the V20 Heat up a lot when web browsing and using LTE?)
- Signal strength

Of the V20 vs. The Note 4?

Thank you :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm comparing to a Note 7, but the experience shouldn't be too far from the Note 4.

-It's OK, but you'll miss the pitch-black, well, black from the Note. It's definitely a different 'feel' to it, but it does look very nice. Just not AMOLED quality, I'm afraid.
-Haven't tested enough yet. So can't comment on this one. On pretty much standby and WiFi being on but only a handful of apps syncing (still haven't installed much), I've gotten a drop of 5% in 5 hours. But like I said, not enough use (so can't say how much SOT since I've barely touched it).
-I can feel it heating up when installing apps. It gets warm, not hot, but I can see it warming up with intense activities.
-Pretty much on par with the Note, if not even a bit better (I've gotten one bar where the Note gets none, but both were still getting slow service).

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I went from a Note 4 to a V20. The V20 is quite a bit faster. The battery is also better than the Note 4. The V20 just has a lot more user adjustments than the Note 4. I love my V20 :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you ever played with a G4 coming from a Note 4...that's how you'll feel with this (ish). Yeah, the V20 obviously has major improvements over the Note 4, but if you compare it to a Note 7 (or even 5), you'll feel like it's trying hard to mirror some features.

Oh, and prepare to be annoyed by the on-screen buttons and, especially, the power button/fingerprint reader placement. They're definitely a learning curve once you're used to the physical ones on the Note.

Double tap to wake/turn off, though, that's something that you'll quickly grow used to and soon you'll be tapping on every phone/screen you see thinking it'll work hehe.

canonuevo

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

So I am thinking leaving my now 2yrld Note 4 for a LG V20, and wanted to know how are you finding:
- Display
- Battery Life
- Heat (does the V20 Heat up a lot when web browsing and using LTE?)
- Signal strength

Of the V20 vs. The Note 4?

Thank you :)

1. Coming from a Note 4 to 7 to V20 here. Display is not as great as the Note's, but still enjoyable
2. Battery life will get you to 4 hours of SoT if you're lucky.
3. It has barely heat up on me. It didn't even heat up during quick charge.
4. Signal strength is pretty good.

Edit: V20 is much more snappier than my note 7, which I like.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I went from the 4, to the 7 (still in my possession, not ready to give it up) and now have the V20 to try out for 14 days. Only had it a day, but it's not bad.

Battery life while idle with a good connection is awesome. Played Spotify for 40 minutes this morning via Bluetooth and it only dropped 1%. But as soon as I got to where was working, poor signal drained the battery a good bit. Doze mode on Nougat is awesome at idle apparently.

Display is taking some time to get used to. Definitely not bad, but by no means a sweet, saturated AMOLED display from Samsung.

The rear fingerprint scanner and home button is pretty snappy and reliable, and the knock on/off as stated is pretty cool. But the on screen capacitive buttons are taking a lot of getting used to.

I think I'd take this over my note 4 no doubt. Still not sure if I like it over my N7

Nizzler

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
I made the switch coming from a note 4. No regrets for me. Even though the note 4 amoled display is much brighter and colors are more vibrant. Once I got used to the v20 display and adjusted the displaybsettings, it was no big deal. Battery life is a huge difference. The v20 blows away the note 4 battery life. Kust my opinion

d3t99

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I switched from a nexus 6 to note 4 strictly for replaceable battery. I was blowing through 2 batteries per day easily with my use.
I bought the v20 for the same reason. Other features that won me over : dac, camera, SD card slot and ir blaster.
Battery life in the v20 is so good that I may not need a 2nd battery. Every once in a while I top of with a qc 3 battery pack. I returned the v10 after 2 days, battery was horrible.
The screen is an adjustment. Amoled pops but the v20 screen is better in sunlight
Phone never gets hot
Way faster
Dac is amazing

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
You guys are awesome, thank you so much!

I was set on the V20, but what I am put off by is the Battery Life, seems <5hours SOT is the standard.

I have elected to go with a S7 Edge instead. I am not a huge Audiophile and I think the 'Lucky' DAC in the S7E will be fine for me. :)

Thanks again!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The S7 Edge is also an awesome device! The only thing that kept me from getting it (for the third time) after the Note 7 recall was that it's not 64GB. That's why I'm trying out the V20, but a few design quirks (back fingerprint reader, touchscreen buttons instead of physical/capacitive, no notification LED, crappy AOD implementation, no waterproofing) are definitely making me want the S8 to come out SOON hehe

William Nale

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I had a Note 4 with a G5 inbetween. Get the V20, you won't be disappointed. Doesn't get hot (my Note 4 was unusable after the Marshmallow upgrade), battery life much better and the V20 is waaaaay faster in all aspects.
It's a no brainer..

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd say the S7 Edge is a no-brainer. The V20 is a 'yeah, sounds cool, but I need to brain it a bit', really. It's not a bad phone, mind you, but if you loved the Note 4 experience, the V20 WILL mean having some learning curve and adjusting yourself to LG's ways. The S7 Edge is just as good (better, even, if it wasn't for that 'meager' 32GB) and keeps on with the Samsung way. Easier, smoother transition.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The S7 Edge is also an awesome device! The only thing that kept me from getting it (for the third time) after the Note 7 recall was that it's not 64GB. That's why I'm trying out the V20, but a few design quirks (back fingerprint reader, touchscreen buttons instead of physical/capacitive, no notification LED, crappy AOD implementation, no waterproofing) are definitely making me want the S8 to come out SOON hehe
I really wanted to try the V20 myself, but I was not impressed WRT those battery stats.

Haha, yeah, S8 will be a major beast, I personally got the S7E as a sort of stop-gap between the Note7 debacle and Note8.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to try the V20 myself, but I was not impressed WRT those battery stats.

Haha, yeah, S8 will be a major beast, I personally got the S7E as a sort of stop-gap between the Note7 debacle and Note8.

Well I've had two S7 Edges (prior to Note 7 and loaner before the replacement Note 7 came in), so I thought I'd give the V20 a chance. So far it's not so bad. But I do miss a lot from the S7/Note 7. If it doesn't convince me, I'll get a blue S7 Edge when it comes out and then just wait for the S8 (thank you, JOD! :) )

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've seen a couple people mention the V20's on-screen buttons. They can be set to hide, and that setting can be app-specific. Once hidden a quick swipe up restores them for use.

This ability has been useful.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a couple people mention the V20's on-screen buttons. They can be set to hide, and that setting can be app-specific. Once hidden a quick swipe up restores them for use.

This ability has been useful.

It's not that they're 'in the way', it's that they're not, for me. I'm just used to having those buttons available at all times without interfering with the screen (and without having to do the swipe up thing to get them). But what's proving to be more difficult for me is to get used to the fact that you don't have the fingerprint reader on the front of the device. With the phone lying on my desk or propped up on a car holder, THAT becomes a problem. If it wasn't for double tap to turn on and Smart Unlock, this phone would have made it back to the store the first day haha.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It's not that they're 'in the way', it's that they're not, for me. I'm just used to having those buttons available at all times without interfering with the screen (and without having to do the swipe up thing to get them). But what's proving to be more difficult for me is to get used to the fact that you don't have the fingerprint reader on the front of the device. With the phone lying on my desk or propped up on a car holder, THAT becomes a problem. If it wasn't for double tap to turn on and Smart Unlock, this phone would have made it back to the store the first day haha.
Yeah. It definitely is no Samsung. To some that's bad, to others not so much. I'm in the latter crowd. Yes, my S7e's FPS and buttons are convenient but this phone is still the bees knees to me.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Last night proved to be tricky with the fingerprint reader on the back: Cooking. It's really, REALLY inconvenient having to pick up the phone with food-covered hands every time the screen goes off to follow an on-screen recipe. Ugh.

The phone is really zippy, though. I'm liking it, despite the quirks. But not loving it. So it's S8 for me as soon as it launches, I'm afraid (or sooner if a blue, 64GB S7 Edge comes along mid-way hehe).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo