LG V20 Signal and connection issues

MrLicky69

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I got my Lg V20 . It was brand new never been activated even came with its own sim card. The network was T-Mobile and i use Metro. It was locked so i ended up rooting it. Everything came out great i insert my sim card and it reads LTE signal but it wont update to open and ut wont take my wifi nither.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I replied earlier but I'm seeing more complaints.
From my personal experience the V20 on Verizon has been great.
I live in the southwest desert and travel wide open spaces. I have never felt worried about dropping a call. Even in some remote areas. Mine even had good calls in Puerto Peñasco México.
Many here are complaining but it could be your service area????
One has to remember that even landlines had problems 🤣 (if your old enough 😉)

I am on my second LG and can not say nicer things about the V series.
Sorry to read about the problems.

Lateck,

MrLicky69

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Well i did some more reading on my Lg V20 and the issue we all having . It had said to turn off your roaming and connect wcdma/gsm/lte and set up your apn if needed pimp my rom really helps

stevie_washington

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
Yes! I am having very annoying and ongoing issues with my v20. I got it in October 2016 on TM as soon as it came out and the issues started almost immediately. I had read that the issues were known (battery usage and network/wifi connectivity) but that they were happening since the hardware and OS were brand new. The v20 came out right before the pixel and was the first phone to market with the new Nougat OS. I read that firmware updates were on the way to address the issues, so I muscled though it. But the update(s) have not helped and the problem is worsening. I experience:
- terrible connection speeds in many apps, even if I am showing full or near full LTE signal
- switching from wifi to cellular network sucks, at work I have to be on the wifi as the cellular is non existent (even though I have signal bars showing)
- when switching from wifi to network if I do not put the phone in airplane mode first, it will not connect to the LTE network for a while (minutes)
- Apps that use cellular data are often very slow or hang up and sometimes lock up (forcing me to kill the app)
- Google search bar will do one search and then you change the search but it still pulls up the previous search results
- I do not get some text messages, I have screen shots of my friend's phone with the sent text to me and noting ever comes on my end. This is getting worse and worse. I use the phone for work too and its not acceptable
- Battery life is average at best but when on wifi it flat out blows. From full charge in the morning to 15% or less in under 7 hours
- sound quality on my end is great. I do not often drop calls, no more than other phones i have had, but a lot of people complain that I am hard to hear or choppy.
- I do like a lot of things about the phone. The SD card expansion and the changeable battery are why I got it. I still like that. I like the feel and form factor, for a big phone screen its slim, light, strong, and easy to carry in your pocket
- Great camera especially in good light, forward camera is good too.
I've talked to TM several times both in store and over the phone. I have cleared the app cashe a couple times which helps in the short term, I just did the network reboot which should be nice and painful to input all the PWs again but hopefully helps. I saw a suggestion to turn off the HD, but that was also a selling point for me. I am resisting doing a factory reboot as I put all my apps in folders and that gets all blown apart and I have to spend a few hours redoing it. Any suggestions for getting TM to help more? Maybe a new sim card, but that so many of us are having issues with this phone makes me think its in the firmware/harware.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My V20 has horrible cellular reception. Granted my house is in a area with poor reception, however my V20, inside my house and often even outside, gets nothing. My Mate 9, sitting right along side, always has a few bars showing. The V20 has the worse signal reception of any phone that I've owned. SMS inside the house, and often outside on the front terrace, is impossible.

2248082584a52cb048c21334ad804249.jpg

This is a screenshot from my Mate 9, which I'm using now.
I'll post a screenshot from my V20

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My V20 has horrible cellular reception. Granted my house is in a area with poor reception, however my V20, inside my house and often even outside, gets nothing. My Mate 9, sitting right along side, always has a few bars showing. The V20 has the worse signal reception of any phone that I've owned. SMS inside the house, and often outside on the front terrace, is impossible.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/2248082584a52cb048c21334ad804249.jpg

This is a screenshot from my Mate 9, which I'm using now.
I'll post a screenshot from my V20
c281be7ad650343628f9ded84f9eb54b.jpg

And this is from my V20. Both taken at the same time and sitting on my sofa.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Living among woods/trees I actually have great service/connection with my LG V20, running on Verizon. Never a dropped call, texts no problem, web no problem at all.

Capture+_2017-06-14-10-51-26.png.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My V20 has horrible cellular reception.
Screenshots showing bars are pretty inaccurate - you should try something like SignalCheck Pro https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.blueline.signalcheck&token=pjUI1QiJ (there's also a free version) to quantify your signal. (There was another app that I used to use that broke down your signal quality over time - I'll look for that and post it when I find it.)

If your cellular issues seem to be mainly at home you could ask your carrier about a network extender - they're relatively inexpensive (sometimes free depending on the carrier) and can make a big difference in voice or data (or both, depending on the extender).

Not trying to discount your issues with one phone vs. another though.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Screenshots showing bars are pretty inaccurate - you should try something like SignalCheck Pro https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.blueline.signalcheck&token=kinONOtv (there's also a free version) to quantify your signal. (There was another app that I used to use that broke down your signal quality over time - I'll look for that and post it when I find it.)

If your cellular issues seem to be mainly at home you could ask your carrier about a network extender - they're relatively inexpensive (sometimes free depending on the carrier) and can make a big difference in voice or data (or both, depending on the extender).

Not trying to discount your issues with one phone vs. another though.
I looked at that app in the playstore, however comments say it's not working on Huawei phones, so I didn't get it.
Here are screen shots from both phones, taken at the same time, sitting on my sofa inside my house. These are the signal strength as reported by the phones.

Mate 9:

fc2468dca17465790ccd920a24de5424.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I looked at that app in the playstore, however comments say it's not working on Huawei phones, so I didn't get it.
As I mentioned in my post there is a free version (SignalCheck Lite https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.blueline.signalchecklite&token=albXVw6x) so it wouldn't cost anything to try out.

It works fine on my Huawei-made Nexus 6P but perhaps it has issues with the Kirin processor. Hard to say.

Anyway, the other app that I mentioned is GSam Battery Monitor Pro https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro&token=TadjB-tG (there's also a free version of that) which will allow you to get a feel for your signal strength over time. That might be more useful to see your overall signal quality as you go about your day.
1e46cb7135b1957597b19a9b12e3808d.jpg
(Note that it requires you to use ADB to enable extended battery stats for this feature to work. It's pretty easy to do and is well documented in the app.)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately that data point is useless since you have absolutely no signal at all. If that's the norm at that particular location then it's time to get a different device or to get your carrier to fix something at their end. If it happens to be at your house you could ask about a network extender.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately that data point is useless since you have absolutely no signal at all. If that's the norm at that particular location then it's time to get a different device or to get your carrier to fix something at their end. If it happens to be at your house you could ask about a network extender.
That's exactly my point, no signal on the V20 and have signal on the Mate 9. Same carrier sim in both and side by side on the sofa table.
My original post was simply to add to the"weak V20 signal" thread.
I also have a Xperia XZ and it gets some signal about the same as the Mate 9.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly my point, no signal on the V20 and have signal on the Mate 9. Same carrier sim in both and side by side on the sofa table.
My original post was simply to add to the"weak V20 signal" thread.
I also have a Xperia XZ and it gets some signal about the same as the Mate 9.
I retired and moved to the Philippines in 2015 so signal strength and quality, especially out in the provinces is not great. I have wifi in the house so it's only a little bit of a pain inside. SMS is still very popular here because data is relatively expensive.
Outside it's not really a problem, usually. My house sits about 1/3 the way down a hill so that certainly is the main reason for the lack of signal strength here.
Anyway out of the 3 phones that I currently have and the various phones of friends here, the V20 has the worst reception.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My VZW V20 gets the best reception of any phone I've ever owned. I can use internet in big box stores where my Note 3 was useless. I was in a restaurant using twitter where my friend's iPhone 6 had no reception. Never dropped a call anywhere. Unless you live an a terrible cell area you have a bad phone or bad sim card.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
So, after suffering through months of call quality issues, bluetooth connectivity issues and poor wifi issues, I decided to do a FDR and reinstall everything from scratch. While it did improve the overall feel of the phone, it still suffered from poor call quality and wifi issues. My wife's V10 works perfect in all the places mine does not.

I called Verizon again and really pressed the issue that turning off features in a premium flagship phone is not the right solution and after explaining all that I had been through with network resets, FDR's and sim card swaps, they finally determined that I probably have a defective phone and sent me a new one. After reinstalling everything from scratch on the new phone, call quality and wifi have improved tremendously. I can now make a call without having to ask the caller to repeat themselves or me having to constantly repeat things. HD Voice works and sounds great too and my network signal strength in my home is now down from -114 dbm to the -90's..much better! I've even seen a much better improvement in signal strength at work as well.

However, I am still having bluetooth issues in my car, a 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe with the Bose sound system. Call quality is crap. Calls are disconnected and mostly garbled, yet if I turn off BT and switch to speakerphone, everything is fine. I'd blame it on the car but connecting my older LG G2 as a backup phone works fine and sounds great. It may just be an incompatibility between the older BT radio in my car and the newer BT radio in the phone. I'll read more about it on the infiniti forums to see if there is a solution.

So new (refurb) V20 seems to be working better than my original.

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I retired and moved to the Philippines in 2015 so signal strength and quality, especially out in the provinces is not great. I have wifi in the house so it's only a little bit of a pain inside. SMS is still very popular here because data is relatively expensive.
Outside it's not really a problem, usually. My house sits about 1/3 the way down a hill so that certainly is the main reason for the lack of signal strength here.
Anyway out of the 3 phones that I currently have and the various phones of friends here, the V20 has the worst reception.

Is it possible you have a bad one.... My phone is no worse or better than any other phone I have compared it too be it Motorola or IPhone. When I'm in a dead zone the LG is spotty like the iphone or Moto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
textura