LG v20 - How to turn on My Places in Smart Settings?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm missing something... if not; this is another part of the "Stuff Verizon Takes Away" posts...

Someone on the forum told me about using Quick Shortcut Maker to make a shortcut to Smart Settings. Great. So I had a minute to play with it tonight, and in order to USE the Quick Settings for when you're at home or away from home, you have to set your Home location in something called, "My Places"...

which I cannot find... anywhere... <sigh>

Is this something else I can't use on this LG version of the phone, or am I just missing it?

Thanks!

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
In the location menu unless they took it out for you.
e632a0a2f2be1fa1f5fac94e4e7c0842.jpg

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
cddde8a78e96fd6b4bf0edd0b0edf688.jpg

Wow... It looks like they may have disabled it... But you know, it's probably for the good of society as a whole...

I'm getting really sick of all of the things Verizon removed considering they are the most expensive carrier out there.

Charge me a premium price? Okay no problem! But when you do, you better give me premium service. What does that mean to me?

It means that every single thing that my phone is capable of doing better be supported on this network that I'm paying over $200 a month for and have been for approximately 10 years!

Sooner or later, another carrier is going to have a decent signal in my area. I am currently off contract with Verizon and just paying month by month. When the time comes, if they don't start giving me what I want, I am gone.

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
It was in another thread. You can only use partial features(basically useless ) because Verizon removed the switch. They crippled or removed a lot on this phone. More than I ever remember. The LG G4 had a few but this is ridiculous.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Charge me a premium price? Okay no problem! But when you do, you better give me premium service. What does that mean to me?
Except they didn't charge you a premium price for the phone. They are the cheapest list price out there, and offered the biggest trade in credit for select phones. That cheaper price comes with consequences.

You could try setting it up and give it the 5 days to auto-detect your home location. I personally haven't tried it because it does require location to be set to high accuracy. Using battery saving or even GPS only will not work. I just wouldn't get enough functionality out of smart settings to justify the added battery consumption from all the scanning.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Except they didn't charge you a premium price for the phone. They are the cheapest list price out there, and offered the biggest trade in credit for select phones. That cheaper price comes with consequences.

I agree with you to some extent, but they really ought to disclose to their customers that some features have been removed.

To OP - I was a loyal but disgruntled VZW customer for 12 years with a 4 line family plan. They got more than their pound of flesh from me and I put up with their nonsense because they had the best service in town. As soon as Tmobile upped their game here I willingly 'jumped' (pun intended) and now I have more toys, more lines, and less bill.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you to some extent, but they really ought to disclose to their customers that some features have been removed.
True. I'm guessing they get around it by simply omitting those things in their advertising/descriptions and just hope the general public don't notice the discrepancies.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

You could try setting it up and give it the 5 days to auto-detect your home location. I personally haven't tried it because it does require location to be set to high accuracy. Using battery saving or even GPS only will not work. I just wouldn't get enough functionality out of smart settings to justify the added battery consumption from all the scanning.
Except that I didn't know why the price was cheaper. I honestly thought the price was cheaper because big red negotiated a better deal for more units. Every carrier has a different price on this just like on other phones. It would have been nice if they would have disclosed that to me! It would have made me try the unlocked version. Even though I know that there can be inherent problems doing that as well...

:-( unfortunately for me I am now past my 14 days... I almost took this phone back because of the other things that were removed that I did already know about. This one would have pushed me over the edge I think had I known a few days ago.

I have waited 5 days for my home location to be automatically set. I have been on high accuracy the whole time I've had the phone which is now over 14 days. I don't think it's going to set... You know I like this phone okay... I just wish everything worked on it. It would be a much easier pill to swallow as a replacement for my beloved Note 7.

And although Verizon may not have charged me a premium price for this phone, this time... $30,000 over 10 years is what I'm guessing I've given them. It feels pretty doggone premium to Me overall :)

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
It was in another thread. You can only use partial features(basically useless ) because Verizon removed the switch. They crippled or removed a lot on this phone. More than I ever remember. The LG G4 had a few but this is ridiculous.

Yes thank you!!! One or two things here or there but I never remember having so much functionality missing/gimped/not-bought-in/not-supported/disabled on a phone!!! On the most expensive carrier??? Geez...

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Update;
as suspected, after a rather long tech support chat with Verizon, she verified that My Places was indeed "removed". So, this is not a bug that might be quickly fixed, as I had tried to hope.

I then asked her if I could get a copy of "All things Verizon does not support on the LG v20", and was told that those are internal documents, not for public dissemination.

For a "First-World Problem" it sure does get under my skin... :) just thought you ought to know.

I would encourage anyone that might be bothered by this kind of thing to contact Verizon execs through their leadership website - Leadership | About Verizon

Only if they hear from enough of us will it change...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87