06-16-2017 10:00 AM
78 1234
tools
    I'm not saying it's only the V20

I'm just saying because it's slightly raised and also because it's a larger pane of class, it's more susceptible to damage compared to a smaller, recessed camera lens cover.
    I think this is it. Consumers demand thinner more powerful devices. This means phones will be more likely to break. The reason old Nokia's and BlackBerry's seemed indestructible was because there was so much protection in the form of plastic and empty space inside.

I doubt the V20 has more issues than any other thin phone with two camera lenses. The issue is it's a niche phone and so repair parts aren't readily available.
    01-22-2017 07:25 PM
    I think this is it. Consumers demand thinner more powerful devices. This means phones will be more likely to break. The reason old Nokia's and BlackBerry's seemed indestructible was because there was so much protection in the form of plastic and empty space inside.

I doubt the V20 has more issues than any other thin phone with two camera lenses. The issue is it's a niche phone and so repair parts aren't readily available.
    Most phones don't have two rear cameras. The S7 glass fails and is a single camera.
    01-22-2017 08:29 PM
    I broke mine the first like 10 days I had the phone. I've become rather frustrated with there not being a replacement piece available, being a modular device you'd think someone would have come out with something by now. I got mine a few days after the US release and 3 months later nothing. I'm at the point of just saying screw waiting and sending it in for repair, even if it costs $100 or something ridiculous

Given the circumstances of how mine broke, I'm not surprised that it met its maker. It hit the ground very hard and fast.
    01-23-2017 11:02 AM
    I broke mine the first like 10 days I had the phone. I've become rather frustrated with there not being a replacement piece available, being a modular device you'd think someone would have come out with something by now. I got mine a few days after the US release and 3 months later nothing. I'm at the point of just saying screw waiting and sending it in for repair, even if it costs $100 or something ridiculous

Given the circumstances of how mine broke, I'm not surprised that it met its maker. It hit the ground very hard and fast.
    What does LG say when you call
    01-23-2017 04:50 PM
    What does LG say when you call
    The two times I've called in the past I was told that they wouldn't sell the pieces needed for the pair outright. I'd have to send the phone in for repair, wait a week or so for them to receive it and then just provide an estimate for fixing it after arrival/inspection. Ridiculous.
    01-23-2017 08:47 PM
    The two times I've called in the past I was told that they wouldn't sell the pieces needed for the pair outright. I'd have to send the phone in for repair, wait a week or so for them to receive it and then just provide an estimate for fixing it after arrival/inspection. Ridiculous.
    Getting that response once would take any OEM off my list of companies I'll buy from.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    01-24-2017 03:21 AM
    Did you ask to escalate to a manager or supervisor. I had an issue with them on my G5. They sent me back my phone repaired with someone else's scuffed up module. They wanted me to send the whole thing back and I refused and asked for a supervisor. Supervisor never got on the phone and they sent me a new module.
    01-24-2017 09:01 AM
    So I chatted with LG today and that was a joke. They told be that it was physical damage. I could send it in and they would see if it could be fixed. So I asked for the parts and was told a third party repairs them and they don't have parts. Asked for manager and they said they don't have one. I can see this is going no place fast. Fortunately I didn't expect much .
    01-24-2017 03:42 PM
    I'm somewhat flooded that they won't support their project for known issues. At minimum cover it with warranty. Are you still within your return period? If you bought through a carrier might be able to use their insurance, but this is dumb. Lg knows about this issue and should be backing it up.
    01-24-2017 04:24 PM
    So I chatted with LG today and that was a joke. They told be that it was physical damage. I could send it in and they would see if it could be fixed. So I asked for the parts and was told a third party repairs them and they don't have parts. Asked for manager and they said they don't have one. I can see this is going no place fast. Fortunately I didn't expect much .
    Wow. Hope you can sell your phone as damaged.
    01-24-2017 04:27 PM
    I'm somewhat flooded that they won't support their project for known issues. At minimum cover it with warranty. Are you still within your return period? If you bought through a carrier might be able to use their insurance, but this is dumb. Lg knows about this issue and should be backing it up.
    Are you just as flooded that Samsung does not own up to the same issue on the S7 and some of their other phones?
    All of these manufacturers react the same way.
    01-24-2017 06:19 PM
    Are you just as flooded that Samsung does not own up to the same issue on the S7 and some of their other phones?
    So I'm definitely not Samsung's biggest fan however there ability to just swap out devices for defects is pretty famous and I haven't heard of their camera glass breaking. I've heard of the body breaking on those devices and that'd be a good reason for thinking it's kind of nuts to buy an all-glass phone
    01-24-2017 06:26 PM
    If your argument is that it should be okay for LG to abandon their few customers for known issues because you don't like how another OEM does something I have to say that that's rubbish.
    01-24-2017 06:27 PM
    If your argument is that it should be okay for LG to abandon their few customers for known issues because you don't like how another OEM does something I have to say that that's rubbish.
    How would they be abandoning their customers when it can be sent in for repair?
    sswitzer likes this.
    01-24-2017 06:42 PM
    How would they be abandoning their customers when it can be sent in for repair?
    The way dop with describing it was if they were going to be without a phone for a while and that they were going to be charged for the repairs. This is different from LG supplying him with a new phone and then dealing with the repairs on the other one on their own time and expense. They could also a refund him for the phone.
    01-24-2017 06:43 PM
    The way dop with describing it was if they were going to be without a phone for a while and that they were going to be charged for the repairs. This is different from LG supplying him with a new phone and then dealing with the repairs on the other one on their own time and expense. They could also a refund him for the phone.
    That's exactly how manufacturer repairs work. Send it in, they fix it, send it back.

Until this becomes more widespread or someone with deep enough pockets gets a lawyer to force LG into action, they are going to act like any other manufacturer and consider this user damage. There is no evidence that the glass wasn't scratched or damaged in some way before cracking.
    sswitzer likes this.
    01-24-2017 06:49 PM
    That's exactly how manufacturer repairs work. Send it in, they fix it, send it back.

Until this becomes more widespread or someone with deep enough pockets gets a lawyer to force LG into action, they are going to act like any other manufacturer and consider this user damage. There is no evidence that the glass wasn't scratched or damaged in some way before cracking.
    Four known manufacturer defects they should be going above and beyond the manufacturer warranty and making sure that their customers satisfied. Especially when LG is in such a precarious position. But what matters is that this is something LG is very well aware of that they did wrong on their devices and they need to support it. That would mean replacing it with a new or refurbished device or providing the customer with the refund and not depriving them of a phone while charging them to repair something that is LG fault.
    eAbyss likes this.
    01-24-2017 07:00 PM
    Four known manufacturer defects they should be going above and beyond the manufacturer warranty and making sure that their customers satisfied. Especially when LG is in such a precarious position. But what matters is that this is something LG is very well aware of that they did wrong on their devices and they need to support it. That would mean replacing it with a new or refurbished device or providing the customer with the refund and not depriving them of a phone while charging them to repair something that is LG fault.
    Have they acknowledged this as a known manufacturing defect?
    sswitzer likes this.
    01-24-2017 07:07 PM
    So I'm definitely not Samsung's biggest fan however there ability to just swap out devices for defects is pretty famous and I haven't heard of their camera glass breaking. I've heard of the body breaking on those devices and that'd be a good reason for thinking it's kind of nuts to buy an all-glass phone
    Google Samsung camera lense breaking and you might find interesting stuff.
    01-24-2017 07:14 PM
    Google Samsung camera lense breaking and you might find interesting stuff.
    I can do that but it still would have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not LG is handling this particular case correctly. Whether or not Samsung does a good or poor job at supporting their devices and whether or not those issues are as widespread on their devices has absolutely no bearing on LG's lack of support on this particular device. So while I can do that I don't think I'm going to because it seems like it's a waste of time in a bit of a red herring.
    01-24-2017 07:15 PM
    It's not a known issue and I'm not making an argument. That's not my point at all. My point is that it's what they all do and people as of late don't do their homework before stating opinions as facts. Samsung abandoned their customers on the lense issue as well on more than one model. It is not unique for Samsung, LG or anyone else to ignore customer complaints for apparent defects or items subject to early failure where it is difficult to prove whether or not it is customer neglect.
    01-24-2017 07:24 PM
    It's not a known issue? It's been around since day 1.
    eAbyss likes this.
    01-24-2017 07:46 PM
    It's not a known issue? It's been around since day 1.
    I love when people throw terms around and I'm not referring to specifically to you. Because some people have experienced a particular problem and discuss it online does not make it a known issue. That's simply not what a known issue is. It may be a common problem with more than one root cause and it is a well discussed issue but it is not a known issue.
    sswitzer likes this.
    01-24-2017 07:53 PM
    OK my mistake, it's a very common problem that has been discussed since the first phones got to reviewers and LG pretending they've never heard of it or that it is user caused is unacceptable.
    eAbyss likes this.
    01-24-2017 07:55 PM
    OK my mistake, it's a very common problem that has been discussed since the first phones got to reviewers and LG pretending they've never heard of it or that it is user caused is unacceptable.
    Good point
    01-24-2017 08:08 PM
78 1234