Rear camera glass.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if you guys have seen the articles and reports of some users experiencing the rear camera glass shattering on them unexpectedly? I was curious if anyone here has had that issue with their 7 or 7 Pro. I am starting to second guess my decision on this phone now. It seems that Google states they are aware of the problem but have decided to not cover it under warranty.

mutant777

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
It's a developing story. I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. The Pixel 7 & Pro are great phones, and I'm confident that if there's really a problem, Google will do the right thing.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
It's a developing story. I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. The Pixel 7 & Pro are great phones, and I'm confident that if there's really a problem, Google will do the right thing.

I hope they do the right thing. I mean obviously we don't know if all the stories are 100% true that it was completely spontaneous and never bumped or dropped. It just makes me worry a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can understand your concern! I am close to getting a Pixel 7 device and these claims worried me. But as others said, it's a developing story and we don't know about the validity of the claims (ie, whether or not the phones were dropped or bumped). I guess time will tell!

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
If I was looking for a new phone I would definately go for a pixel 7. I'd take my chances.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I can understand your concern! I am close to getting a Pixel 7 device and these claims worried me. But as others said, it's a developing story and we don't know about the validity of the claims (ie, whether or not the phones were dropped or bumped). I guess time will tell!
Don't be worried it's a very small percentage and don't know the full outcome, my pixel 7 pro doesn't have a issue

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if you guys have seen the articles and reports of some users experiencing the rear camera glass shattering on them unexpectedly? I was curious if anyone here has had that issue with their 7 or 7 Pro. I am starting to second guess my decision on this phone now. It seems that Google states they are aware of the problem but have decided to not cover it under warranty.
I've been reading some of those stories online but I have not have that happen with my 7. It's a really good phone and I think you would enjoy it if you bought it. These glass shattering incidents seem to be sporadic and not a widespread issue. But I guess time will tell.

mutant777

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I went into a Best Buy and checked out the phone before buying. Easily removed a lot of my concerns. Your concerns may be different, but handling the phone before you make a final decision is well worth the time and effort.

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
What puzzles me regarding the glass, I don't see anyone who was delivered one with a broken glass? The packaging isn't up to much, ware houses and the back of lorries and shipping containers have changing temperatures.
Delivery people arnt always too carefull as they have 500 deliveries to complete.
It they break untouched in cases, in jacket pocketes that's proper confusing.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I went into a Best Buy and checked out the phone before buying. Easily removed a lot of my concerns. Your concerns may be different, but handling the phone before you make a final decision is well worth the time and effort.

I will do that! That's why I get nervous ordering phones without testing them out in-person! I totally get what you are saying!

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
I've had a P7 come into the shop with a broken camera lens now. They had been using the phone for several weeks, but couldn't verify if they had indeed cracked the lens by hitting something while in their pocket. Very easily replaced - if you can get the part.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had a P7 come into the shop with a broken camera lens now. They had been using the phone for several weeks, but couldn't verify if they had indeed cracked the lens by hitting something while in their pocket. Very easily replaced - if you can get the part.

That's good to know that it can be easily replaced!

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Absolutely! It's hard when they're wired to displays, though! However, I want to see if I can actually wield the Pixel 7 Pro.

I couldn't do it Morty. Going from the Pixel 5 to the Pixel 7, the P7 was a big as I could go, and still use it one handed. Even then it's a stretch compared to the P5. The P5 was the perfect size IMHO.

BruceCk

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I suspect the camera glass was kept thin to avoid chromatic aberration, and people are grabbing the phones by the lens cover from pockets that are tight! The breaks I've seen have all been over a camera where pressure would make it vulnerable. As a keen photographer, I avoid touching the lens glass as much as possible, and find it natural to grab the bar edge under the camera. The temperature change explanation is possible if the tolerance is too tight between the glass and aluminium.

I have found the finger print sensor a bit temperamental. Maybe a firmware update will improve it. The cameras and processing are stunning. My mirrorless camera system hasn't had much use lately!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the pixel 7 pro since launch without a case and i have not had any issues with mine and i throw my phone in my pocket every day when i go out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member