LG V20 - My Camera Glass Cracked!

kdi68

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
No drops, in an Otterbox and all of a sudden I noticed it cracked.... BS.... That glass is defective and I regret my ever deciding to switch to LG... Had iphone, S3 and a S5, never even scratched the camera glass... Now I have to find a replacement glass so I can sell it. Hopefullly they sell one soon. That or fight LG on it and we all now they will get right on it....LOL LOL I would not recommend this phone period!!!!!!!

wricu01

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Was it out in the cold makes no sense. I dropped mine in my spigen case on the office carpet no damage so far. Not a very good design on LG part and good luck with the replacement I don't see them doing that at all. Maybe they will eat some of the repair cost

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Camera Glass Cracked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask them about the warranty, it has to be covered for that. I'm really sorry this has happened to you, but they should be able to cover it and you should have it back in about a week and a half. If you have your older phone still, you might have to use it for the time it is away though.

kdi68

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site

Plan on talking to LG. Trying to find a replacement glass with no luck so far. Its a shame, other than that its a good phone. You can charge the crap out of the battery and when its dead just replace it.

Infiniti14

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site

That really sucks. Hope you can get it sorted without too much fuss.

Don't know how common this defect is, but it's common enough there should be replacment glass.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site

No drops, in an Otterbox and all of a sudden I noticed it cracked.... BS.... That glass is defective and I regret my ever deciding to switch to LG... Had iphone, S3 and a S5, never even scratched the camera glass... Now I have to find a replacement glass so I can sell it. Hopefullly they sell one soon. That or fight LG on it and we all now they will get right on it....LOL LOL I would not recommend this phone period!!!!!!!
Assuming that you are being straight up here with us here. Did you put the phone in your pocket with loose change or with a set of car keys? My phone is "bare naked" with exactly as it was shipped to me almost 3 months ago. Having an Otterbox on the phone is concerning. How long did you have the Otterbox on the phone? is there any chance that the lens was cracked before you put the Otterbox on the phone? Good luck with your results....:D

wricu01

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

Assuming that you are being straight up here with us here. Did you put the phone in your pocket with loose change or with a set of car keys? My phone is "bare naked" with exactly as it was shipped to me almost 3 months ago. Having an Otterbox on the phone is concerning. How long did you have the Otterbox on the phone? is there any chance that the lens was cracked before you put the Otterbox on the phone? Good luck with your results....:D

Or maybe the, OtterBox put stress on that glass

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Talk to LG via live chat. I'm sure that they will honor the repair. It is a flaw on their end.

I've owned my V20 for about 2 months and no cracks yet.

kdi68

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site

If I would have dropped it and it cracked my questions would have been: Does anyone know how much it would be be to replace? Or has anyone done it with success. Not hide it and try to say manufacture defect... That would do no good in this forum and waste everyone's time.
No, it didn't go from 30 degrees to 90.
No, the Otterbox didn't stress the camera glass.
Yes it had been in my pocket like every other phone I have owned.
Did I have rocks or sharp objects? NO.
Yes it had the same 4 keys I always carry.
I even handled it a little better because of the reports.
I have had it about 2 months..
There is no way that glass should have broken, its the glass that they use and its not manufactured correctly.
Its a great phone but that is a deal breaker. If LG replaces the phone or the glass and makes no explanation on it. It will be sold.
If they tell me it is replaced with a `New` glass that should not have that issue I will keep it.
I posted this as an FYI to people who own one or want to buy one. It should be considered. I had also hoped someone else would have either replaced theirs or had it done. So I could get an idea on how much of an issue it would be. I know one thing, I wll be paying more attention to `JerryRigEverything` reviews now.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site

That's suck in many level. They start selling camera unit, but not the glass.

My first phone completely die without knowing good reason.

Time to search for another phone.

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site

No, it didn't go from 30 degrees to 90.
No, the Otterbox didn't stress the camera glass.
Yes it had been in my pocket like every other phone I have owned.
Did I have rocks or sharp objects? NO.
Yes it had the same 4 keys I always car.

Did you have the 4 keys in the same pocket as the phone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

This is a well known flaw that has impacted devices ever since reviews started. LG needs to own it; there are just an insane number of these.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

I don't understand why no glass for it yet! You can find the S7 ones for cheap all over and it isn't a very hard repair for repair shops.

Btw this guy doing the Poetic Revolution review for the V20 does multiple slamboyz on it and the camera doesn't break. Another review with the Defender and doing slamboyz on it and it survives.

I just hope mine doesn't break and last until sometime in April or May until I buy the S8 Plus or whatever the hell the call it so I can sell it online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X12evlJiOO0

I decided to go back to my S7 edge in a Defender case today and going back to the V20. 7.0 just soooo much better and smoother.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Knock on wood. Hope this don't happen to me lol. This might make me consider other phone.

Let us know what LG says.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

This is a well known flaw that has impacted devices ever since reviews started. LG needs to own it; there are just an insane number of these.

I've seen an insane number of posts talking about it but not an insane number of actual occurrences. This actually happens to other phones including Samsung.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to recap the 3 most talked about occurrences of camera glass breaking that I remember on this forum:

1. JerryRigEverything: A 'reviewer' that intentionally damaged the camera glass before it cracked. Shocking result. This is the same guy that blasted Corning and Samsung over the Gorilla Glass used in the Note 7 saying it wasn't as scratch resistant as they claimed when in fact it was his hardness picks that were defective.

2. The other thread on here with the lady that pulled her phone out of her purse one day and noticed the glass broken. Turns out, as stated in a separate thread, the phone was actually dropped into the bottom of the purse with countless other things where it could have easily been damaged before cracking.

3. This thread. User admits to carrying 4 keys in same pocket with the phone. Any or all of those keys could have easily scratched the glass causing it to crack.

So we have 1 definite and intentional damage to the glass before it breaks and 2 occurrences where the probability is high that the glass was damaged in some way before it cracked.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Note that it's a large pane of glass that's also slightly raised up.

This makes it more susceptible to damage compared to a more typical glass lens cover.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty