slow charging

Niv77

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Anyone here still uses the original cable and charger that came with the V20?
Mine won't fast charge anymore... Whyyy??

Niv77

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
after replugging multiple times it's now working again. But I find it weird cos it never happened before.

is it possible that my cable is damaged?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
is it possible that my cable is damaged?

This is usually the most likely cause. USB cables aren't really very durable and the constant use of them on a phone, with all plugging in and moving and bending of a cable, causes them to wear out quickly. Another common symptom is connection issues when trying to plug into a computer to transfer files and such. So replacing that is my first suggestion.

It is also possible that the charger went bad or the usb port in the phone is bad. These are uncommon, but the next places to investigate if replacing the cable doesn't work.

Niv77

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
thanks! what brand cable would you recommend?
is it advisable to replace adapter together with the cable? or any cable is okay with the original adapter?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
is it advisable to replace adapter together with the cable? or any cable is okay with the original adapter?
I'm partial to the Volutz brand from Amazon. They are a little pricey, but have been the most durable for me. Of the 2 pack I bought, the one at home with several kids bouncing around just went out at 15 months. The one in my work truck is still going strong (but now I probably jinxed myself. Lol). With most other brands, I was lucky to get 6 months.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm partial to the Volutz brand from Amazon. They are a little pricey, but have been the most durable for me. Of the 2 pack I bought, the one at home with several kids bouncing around just went out at 15 months. The one in my work truck is still going strong (but now I probably jinxed myself. Lol). With most other brands, I was lucky to get 6 months.

Btw, what do you mean by the adaptor? Are you referring to the charger?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
yes the charger itself. sorry lol

how about the speed of Volutz?
Yes, they will work fine with the stock charger and third party chargers, and are certified USB C compliant. They charge just as fast as the OEM cable too, using slightly larger than normal power wires. They do claim "up to 20% faster charging than the OEM cable," but don't expect that. With the capabilities of current phones and chargers, it's more up to them than the cable that determines charging speeds. The only time I've seen the cable matter was when I bought a wimpy dollar store cable, and that did result in slow charging.

This is the cable I'm currently using, but it's out of stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6131118

Niv77

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
wow looks durable..
I'll save this link and wait for it.

btw, someone told me before that LG released a statement regarding bootloop. That bootloops are caused by using different oem cables.
you aware of this?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
wow looks durable..
I'll save this link and wait for it.

btw, someone told me before that LG released a statement regarding bootloop. That bootloops are caused by using different oem cables.
you aware of this?
I've heard that, but only in one or two isolated cases and even then I'm not sure I believe it. I guess it could be possible with a poorly designed cable, but I'm not sure why or how. They did catch a lot of grief over bootloops on the G4 and V10, but that was due to a poor design of the phone and solder joints that went bad. They did acknowledge that issue, but the V20 has been free of that defect. Yes, some likely have bootlooped, but that can be caused by a number of reasons.

In terms of wide spread issue on the V20, the only one it suffers is screen image retention. While not good, it's a rather benign problem that at least isn't a permanent burn in or affects the performance of the phone. Most phones seem to have one or two wide spread problems, so I'd say we're lucky that's all it is.

Niv77

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
I see. Well so far I've only seen one bootloop on V20.
Screen retention? Yea I got my screen replaced cos of that and now still have it.
if that's the case then I'd wait for the Volutz to be available. But in case it doesn't restock or takes too long,
any other recommendation?

thanks mate!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
if that's the case then I'd wait for the Volutz to be available. But in case it doesn't restock or takes too long,
any other recommendation?

Not really. There may be other brands, but not that I've looked into since finding these. I looked at www.Volutz.com and they redesigned their cables, so I'd suggest searching Amazon and see what else may be in stock.

If I absolutely had to go with another brand, I'd go back to https://www.mycablemart.com I used to buy their's in small bulk quantities when I was still using micro-USB and before I found Volutz. I was lucky to get a couple months use out of one of them, but buying in bulk let me save money overall (I.e. Cost per day, so to speak) compared to even premium cables.

Niv77

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi again Mooncatt!

i have another question that I'm hoping you can answer..

V20 supports Quickcharge C 3.0, is that right?
If it does, is there a noticeable difference in the charging speed of QC 2.0 and QC 3.0? or it's just all about marketing strat..
Thanks!

I've thought of this because I haven't checked any cables yet so I figured why not upgrade along the process of finding one

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi again Mooncatt!

If it does, is there a noticeable difference in the charging speed of QC 2.0 and QC 3.0? or it's just all about marketing strat..
Thanks!

I've thought of this because I haven't checked any cables yet so I figured why not upgrade along the process of finding one
From my understanding, QC3.0 was about improving charging efficiency over 2.0, not speed. So while charge times will be roughly the same, a QC3.0 charger would use less electricity and have less heat generated (which is wasted electricity). As for the specifics of how this is done, I don't exactly know.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi again Mooncatt!

Thanks!

QC2.0 has three fixed voltages selectable from the charger: 5V, 9V and 12V.

QC3.0 has variable voltage selectable from the charger instead of three fixed steps.

In both cases the charged device does the selecting. The reason you want a higher voltage is because the current required for a given desired wattage is lower at higher voltages. Delivering more than 2A on USB cables is problematic and there is always loss so in order to get a charge rate of more than ~1,500ma you pretty much need to have more than 5V available and selectable somehow. The reason you don't want too high of a voltage is that dropping to the desired voltage is inefficient (all transformations of energy are) and this results in heat. Heat is bad because you're wasting energy but in addition it limits safe charge rates with batteries, and the heat from the charging circuit inevitably winds up heating the battery too since they're so close physically.

So QC3.0 is generally more efficient because it can match the voltage that the charging circuit wants more closely, basically. It thus tends to deliver a faster net charge rate simply because less waste heat is generated and thus the delivered rate can be maintained at a higher level.

It's not earth-shattering in either event but there's no reason not to get a QC3.0 charger if you're buying today since they're backward compatible and if the device you plug into it is only 2.0 capable it will still respond to those requests.

Niv77

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
QC2.0 has three fixed voltages selectable from the charger: 5V, 9V and 12V.

QC3.0 has variable voltage selectable from the charger instead of three fixed steps.

In both cases the charged device does the selecting. The reason you want a higher voltage is because the current required for a given desired wattage is lower at higher voltages. Delivering more than 2A on USB cables is problematic and there is always loss so in order to get a charge rate of more than ~1,500ma you pretty much need to have more than 5V available and selectable somehow. The reason you don't want too high of a voltage is that dropping to the desired voltage is inefficient (all transformations of energy are) and this results in heat. Heat is bad because you're wasting energy but in addition it limits safe charge rates with batteries, and the heat from the charging circuit inevitably winds up heating the battery too since they're so close physically.

So QC3.0 is generally more efficient because it can match the voltage that the charging circuit wants more closely, basically. It thus tends to deliver a faster net charge rate simply because less waste heat is generated and thus the delivered rate can be maintained at a higher level.

It's not earth-shattering in either event but there's no reason not to get a QC3.0 charger if you're buying today since they're backward compatible and if the device you plug into it is only 2.0 capable it will still respond to those requests.

Wow! Thanks for the effort of explaining this very well..

So If I were to buy a QC3.0, Will any type c cable will do? Or is there any specs that I should be looking for on a cable? Like should it be Anker adapter = Anker cable or cable doesn't really matter?

The QC3.0 brand that's easy to find here is Anker.
Is that good?

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Any of the decent name-brand QC3.0 units are fine. I own a couple of Anker units and a couple of Aukeys, and both have been fine. I also have a RavPower QC3.0 vehicle adapter that works well too.

The only issue to be careful with when it comes to cables comes with USB-C cables if used to a device that can provide (as well as sink) power. There is a standard for a pull-up resistor that is supposed to be in these cables if they're not double-ended USB-C (that is, they're the common Type-A to C); it is possible for a cable that does *not* have that proper pull-up to result in a malfunction of the circuitry in the attached device and potentially damage either it or the other device plugged into it. There were problems with this a year or so back from some of the Chinese sellers but as far as I know all the branded cables out there at this point are safe, and in the context of a phone charging cable that particular problem will not come into play (it CAN in the case of a laptop with a Type C port however, for example)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non