Can H990N download and upload speeds be upgraded to H99DS standards?

sebsational

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
I'm on the verge of purchasing a V20 but unfortunately the H990DS model is no longer available. The H990N seems identical apart from download and upload speeds of 300/50 Mbps (LTE Cat6) compared to 600/150 Mbps (LTE Cat12) for the DS. Is this something that could be relatively easily swapped out for the DS part(s)? If so what part(s) would I need to change and is there a guide/video to detail the procedure anyone is aware of? I'm something of a perfectionist and dislike the idea of owning an inferior phone, plus upload download speeds are important anyway. Any advice appreciated.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the verge of purchasing a V20 but unfortunately the H990DS model is no longer available. The H990N seems identical apart from download and upload speeds of 300/50 Mbps (LTE Cat6) compared to 600/150 Mbps (LTE Cat12) for the DS. Is this something that could be relatively easily swapped out for the DS part(s)? If so what part(s) would I need to change and is there a guide/video to detail the procedure anyone is aware of? I'm something of a perfectionist and dislike the idea of owning an inferior phone, plus upload download speeds are important anyway. Any advice appreciated.

Probably not.. to tell you the truth I think all models are the same with the same physical components.. just the software loaded on it is different. If you can somehow flash the phone with the other ROM, it's possible but no guarantee. To flash a phone you have you put the phone into Android boot mode and use the command prompt and side load it on your computer (I've re-flashed a phone that I accidentally soft-bricked before). To change it to another ROM that's different, you might have to ROOT your device to gain permission, otherwise you'll get an error message. Try looking at XDA developers website, they specialize that there. This website doesn't talk about hacking/modding much.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Two things missing in the N - Band 28 and Dual SIM.

As far as speeds, the internet is barely making 5mbps these days - by the time it's going at 300mbps, no one is going to want an old phone like the V20. You'll get 600mbps from your carrier - if you're close to a tower and there's not much congestion - and if they support LTE Cat12), but from the server you're connecting to, to the carrier, is seldom doing to be any faster. So instead of getting a steady stream of 5mbps packets, or a stream of 300mbps packets with large spaces between them, with the DS you'll get 600mbps packets with huge spaces between them. The thruput, the speed you'll get from measuring how long it takes to download a given large file, will be the same as long as the phone is capable og 10mbps or more - or unless you're downloading from a server that's very close (topologically) to the carrier's point of entry into the internet.

For all practical purposes, you'll never notice the difference.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I've seen real, sustained 40mbps data rates on LTE a few times.

Note: A few times.

300, say much less 600Mbps? Bah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbxbzbc