which LG should i buy next?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i have a LGV20 from verizon that i bought after my LGV10 died (i can't recall what the problem was but it froze on me one day and never recovered).

i see there is a LGV40 coming and the G series seems to get good reviews.

what i like about LG is the quality feels good compared to samsung. and i love their camera features and the hifi DAC although i don't believe my current headphones utilize it. i also like that i can swap batteries. i carry a spare but haven't used it yet. oh and the micro SD card in the back for carrying music.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thank you!

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
i have a LGV20 from verizon that i bought after my LGV10 died (i can't recall what the problem was but it froze on me one day and never recovered).

what i like about LG is the quality feels good compared to samsung. and i love their camera features and the hifi DAC although i don't believe my current headphones utilize it. i also like that i can swap batteries. i carry a spare but haven't used it yet. oh and the micro SD card in the back for carrying music.

I'm pretty sure the V40's battery won't be removable. The V30's wasn't.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the V40's battery won't be removable. The V30's wasn't.
But... Do we really need it? I have spare batteries for both my G5 and V20 and hardly use them. I'm probably gonna be wanting a serious upgrade before the need to actually replace them. I figured d the LG's great on battery life.
I'm like you. I love the Quad DAC, the fact that LG's come with aptX (V20) and aptX-HD (G5) codec built in. Really makes a very noticeable difference in the sound quality.
Good luck! And, please, let me know what you decide.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
But... Do we really need it? I have spare batteries for both my G5 and V20 and hardly use them. I'm probably gonna be wanting a serious upgrade before the need to actually replace them. I figured d the LG's great on battery life.
I'm like you. I love the Quad DAC, the fact that LG's come with aptX (V20) and aptX-HD (G5) codec built in. Really makes a very noticeable difference in the sound quality.
Good luck! And, please, let me know what you decide.

true. i have the spare batt but never used it.

since you have both, can you tell me what the main difference is between the V and G series?

thank you!!

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

since you have both, can you tell me what the main difference is between the V and G series?

thank you!!
I wanted a spare when I went to Disney world a few months back. I ended up buying an extended battery and swapped that out. The extended lasted me all day taking pics, video and occasional wife for the park maps.

Do you use a fast charge juice box to charge your v30 when on the go?

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

thank you!!
Sure!
The G5 is obviously a bit smaller and has no Quad DAC. But, it has the aptX-HD.
The V20's camera has manual control for video. And I think, personally, the wide angle shots are less fish eye with the G5.
The G5 selfie camera is 8mp whereas the V20 is only 5mp. But the V20 has a wide selfie mode like the rear. Of course the rear does it with two separate cameras. I'm not positive how the front camera does it. (I'm not a big selfie fan anyways.)
Let's see..
If you aren't in to manual camera controls, in my opinion, I think the G5 takes the better shot in auto mode.
Also, as I proved yesterday in my back yard with about 80 guests over, the V20 has a stronger sound signal due to the Quad DAC preamp. I used my phone plugged straight into my 500 watt amp to provide tunes and the G5 wouldn't go loud enough when playing music using Google play music (no problem using Poweramp though.) The V20 was way better.

Both phones are, in my opinion, awesome!
I've had the G5 for over two years and, despite all the negative reviews (a lot of BS actually), fell in love with it. The reason I went for the V20 was definitely sound and video related because I am a musician and wanted those extras.
Nobody does smartphone sound as good as LG. Nobody!
If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
Oh! I believe the wide angle camera on the G5 is wider than the V20 . But, like I said, the G5, to me, looks better.
And, of course, there's the obvious differences. The second screen vs notification LED.

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I love the ability to swap batteries. I don't have to carry a charger anymore. The spare battery is a god-send. I see a lot of long rock concerts that usually have set breaks. I change my battery during the break when the lights are on and return to 100% while my friends are looking for an outlet to patch into or are using their portable chargers to preserve their phones. I am going to really miss this feature when I next upgrade. I have 4 batteries and rotate them. I know I will never have this capability again and it sucks. My next phone will be a 5G phone in 2019.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I too love LG, and had an LG G3 that I loved until the battery started giving me issues (but I think it was a corrupt/failing battery from the offset - not an actual fault of the phone). I'd recommend you stick with the V series if you are more into the audio/visual side of things with phones. That series seems to do an excellent job with any type of media.

Speaking of the V series, I was actually going to buy an LG V30 a few months ago; but decided on the smaller Pixel 2. It's a great phone and I would've been happy with it; but the Pixel just fit my needs better. You're right, though: there's just something about LG's build quality and I love LG's skin.

Keep us posted on what you decide

Mikie Kyes

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

I've had T-Mobile V20 for about 16 months, and luv it, but I am considering upgrading to a V30, but will probably wait for the V40 unless my V20 dies

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sure!
The G5 is obviously a bit smaller and has no Quad DAC. But, it has the aptX-HD.
The V20's camera has manual control for video. And I think, personally, the wide angle shots are less fish eye with the G5.
The G5 selfie camera is 8mp whereas the V20 is only 5mp. But the V20 has a wide selfie mode like the rear. Of course the rear does it with two separate cameras. I'm not positive how the front camera does it. (I'm not a big selfie fan anyways.)
Let's see..
If you aren't in to manual camera controls, in my opinion, I think the G5 takes the better shot in auto mode.
Also, as I proved yesterday in my back yard with about 80 guests over, the V20 has a stronger sound signal due to the Quad DAC preamp. I used my phone plugged straight into my 500 watt amp to provide tunes and the G5 wouldn't go loud enough when playing music using Google play music (no problem using Poweramp though.) The V20 was way better.

Both phones are, in my opinion, awesome!
I've had the G5 for over two years and, despite all the negative reviews (a lot of BS actually), fell in love with it. The reason I went for the V20 was definitely sound and video related because I am a musician and wanted those extras.
Nobody does smartphone sound as good as LG. Nobody!
If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
Oh! I believe the wide angle camera on the G5 is wider than the V20 . But, like I said, the G5, to me, looks better.
And, of course, there's the obvious differences. The second screen vs notification LED.

The selfie cam is wide and crops for normal

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I wanted a spare when I went to Disney world a few months back. I ended up buying an extended battery and swapped that out. The extended lasted me all day taking pics, video and occasional wife for the park maps.

Do you use a fast charge juice box to charge your v30 when on the go?

if that's the white charger that comes with the device, then yes! i actually just replaced mine after losing the original in an atlanta hotel room.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
perfect. thank you! i will stick with the V series then. the main reason i bought the V to begin with was the camera and manual controls (and VSCO edits)...

2017-08-03 03.33.29 1 (1).jpg
2017-09-30 08.26.20 1.jpg
2017-11-24 12.47.56 1.jpg

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
But you're tied to a wall for at least thirty minutes for 50% juice. Is there a juicepack that charges fast when walking if I can't recharge my battery in a wall?
if that's the white charger that comes with the device, then yes! i actually just replaced mine after losing the original in an atlanta hotel room.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

V35 or G7 are both great options, G7 is easier to install glass screen protectors

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
But you're tied to a wall for at least thirty minutes for 50% juice. Is there a juicepack that charges fast when walking if I can't recharge my battery in a wall?

i've never personally been tied to a wall. i have a spare battery for my V20. so if the battery dies (and i have the spare with me) i simply swap in a freshy.

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Same here for my v20. My question was more for folks who swapped batteries regularly but now have an unswappable battery.
i've never personally been tied to a wall. i have a spare battery for my V20. so if the battery dies (and i have the spare with me) i simply swap in a freshy.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, the removable battery is probably not gonna happen with a flagship device.

Apart from that, I'm waiting on the V40. I'm currently on the S8 and I'm tempted by the G7. I've had several LG devices and loved them and I've got the itch to upgrade. Going back to LCD though? I'm pretty addicted to the AMOLED panel. So, as it stands, I'm waiting for the V40 for that reason. Just my two cents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87