Oreo coming to ALL V20s on September 7, 2018

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
dt2lfm5z8wc11.jpg

According to a Reddit user that spoke with an LG rep. Some of you have already gotten it. Can you tell me if you got it yet? And also state your carrier/model below. Also, is there an option to change the display resolution? That might be the only good reason why I'd upgrade. The US unlocked model US996 hasn't gotten it yet. Seen some videos of it on YouTube, the UI looks updated a little bit to match the newer LGs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv20/comments/92uyu4/september_7_oreo_for_all_v20s/

UPDATE: All Sprint and International users should have it by now. With AT&T, it should be out now... with my experience with AT&T OTA updates, they randomly select who gets the update and when. If you check and it's not there, you have to wait 24 hours before you can check again.. this is to prevent the network from jamming from simultaneous downloads. You can manually move the time forward to bypass it. If you still don't get it, just wait until September 7. BTW you are REQUIRED to have an active AT&T SIM and service for the OTA update to work. Everyone else needs to wait till September 7.

REMEMBER, once you update, you CANNOT revert back. So make your decision choice wisely... If you like it the way it is, you can just leave it alone.

***UPDATE 09/09/18:
A Reddit user spoke with LG and they confirmed the LG-US996 US unlocked version will receive the Oreo update around *MID OCTOBER*. Be patient, don't get mad, be glad they are making sure the update doesn't have any issues and testing to make sure there are no bugs or problems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv20/comments/9b9n6a/us996_oreo_date/?utm_source=reddit-androidScreenshot_20180909-124621.png

So far, the following V20s should have Oreo: Korean F800 series, Sprint LS997, Canadian H915 and AT&T H910

*******UPDATE 09/17/18:
Verizon models now has the Oreo update. Still waiting on US996 US unlocked version and T-Mobile. Keep checking and let us know if you get the update. The US996 is expected to be released in mid-October.

*******UPDATE 09/28/18: T-Mobile now has the Oreo update. Now every single V20 should have the update except for the US996 US Unlocked variant, which is expected to be released in mid October.

*******UPDATE 11/09/18: The remaining V20s (US996 specifically), the update has been pushed back to THE END OF NOVEMBER. This was told by an LG rep.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 288405

According to a Reddit user that spoke with an LG rep. Some of you have already gotten it. Can you tell me if you got it yet? And also state your carrier/model below. Also, is there an option to change the display resolution? That might be the only good reason why I'd upgrade. The US unlocked model US996 hasn't gotten it yet. Seen some videos of it on YouTube, the UI looks updated a little bit to match the newer LGs.

How can an LG rep give you a global date for multiple carriers?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
It may begin to roll out but who know when each carrier will get their own updates. Don't hold your breath.

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 288405

Sprint and got mine about two or three weeks ago. It's so cool.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Pie is not much of an advancement over Oreo. I have Pie on an Essential PH-1 and frankly, if you never get it there's really nothing material you'll be missing.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Pie is not much of an advancement over Oreo. I have Pie on an Essential PH-1 and frankly, if you never get it there's really nothing material you'll be missing.

I'll go as far as saying if you don't know what you're missing you won't miss anything. After using Pie for awhile Oreo is awkward for me. Oreo will get the job done...for that matter so will Nougat. If I had to choose one though it would be Pie. Not saying it's perfect but it works for me.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
The only *real* difference I've found is that Pie attempts to detect battery pig behavior in background processes on an automated basis and "offers" to restrict same. You can do the same thing with Oreo, but you have to do it by hand. It also false-positives a decent amount of the time too, which can lead you to restrict things you probably won't be happy you did (and wind up reversing your decision.)

The gesture UI thing is a preference issue and doesn't impact actual operation.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Exactly, people just want the "new" feeling of a new OS on their phone. I'm almost 100% positive there's nothing drastically great, just some new UI changes, I guess that's what people like. The phone will not magically perform faster, if you think so that's just a placebo.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Oreo or Pie update? Who cares about Oreo? Where is Pie update?

Phones usually just get 1 major OS upgrade, any more upgrades the manufacturer don't see any point in investing time and effort into it, the phone is almost 2 years old. People will have moved on from the phone to another one, it will just satisfy a small group of people which will be a waste of money.. that's why we have custom ROOTING options with a community of enthusiasts that support old devices. If you want upgrades immediately, get a phone with pure Android (Pixel or Essential).. but even those phones have EOL (end of life support, usually 2 years).

I have a soft modded PlayStation 2, thanks to developers that still love the old system, there are custom apps and hacks available. Small groups of people like these keep old devices up to date with custom apps and hacks, giving life to an old device for years to come. Tech is built well and can last for centuries, manufacturers drop support for it because they don't have any incentive for doing so.. they want you to throw it away and buy a new device. Take the case of computer printers like HP; they have a chip inside that keeps track how many times you print. Once you hit a certain number, the printer self-destructs.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's kind of my point. I wouldn't count on the rep's date as global.

That was a LG USA rep as you can see in the image. This website is USA based and probably only has US users. I assume other users from other countries don't know English and they probably have their own website for their country (India, Europe, Russia, etc.).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It may begin to roll out but who know when each carrier will get their own updates. Don't hold your breath.

Sprint and AT&T already have it. Still waiting on unlocked version and others. I believe Verizon is updating their bloatware apps as well, that's why it's taking long. They have to do several conversions. T-Mobile has WiFi calling so they gotta update that. The rep was a USA rep and their rollout date is for the REST of the USA V20s.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll go as far as saying if you don't know what you're missing you won't miss anything. After using Pie for awhile Oreo is awkward for me. Oreo will get the job done...for that matter so will Nougat. If I had to choose one though it would be Pie. Not saying it's perfect but it works for me.

Since you have experience with them all, what are the differences between Nougat, Oreo, and Pie?

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Sprint and AT&T already have it. Still waiting on unlocked version and others. I believe Verizon is updating their bloatware apps as well, that's why it's taking long. They have to do several conversions. T-Mobile has WiFi calling so they gotta update that. The rep was a USA rep and their rollout date is for the REST of the USA V20s.

I don’t think at&t version received Oreo yet. I know sprint received Oreo.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Because they have inside information. If the rep doesn't know, they ask their manager who knows everything. They wouldn't give false information, that'll backfire and make customers upset.

Mostly presumptuous and not always true.
I think the main point is the date mentioned may have nothing to do with carrier release dates.