LG V20 Saves thumbnails but not photos

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This was in Safe Mode? I didn't see you mention anything specifically about your Safe Mode test. If it does happen in Safe Mode, then I'd start to wonder if the storage chips on the motherboard are failing.

Rincewindwiz

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
And then another. This one produced thumbnail only.

Really weird because I (am sure I) checked in the gallery to see if it was OK and it was. Then an hour later when I went to show it to someone, only the thumbnail was there.

I'll do some more carefully documented testing including safe mode.

BTW if it was motherboard chips why only the camera?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
BTW if it was motherboard chips why only the camera?

Not sure -- I'm just speculating here. But if you think about it, the Camera app is probably the app that generates the most user-created files, unless you create a lot of documents or spreadsheets locally using some kind of productivity suite. Have you noticed any problems with those kinds of files?

Rincewindwiz

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
I dont create many files. However, I have a load ot Whatsapp photos and they all appear to be fine.
And Ive never had a problem with a screenshot
So I think it highly unlikely that it is the storage medium (SD card or internal memory) and is more likely something to do with the camera or the camera app
Will have some time later this morning so will run a number of tests

Rincewindwiz

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
OK will that provided some insights. Seems there was an error in the SD card. chkdsk /F didn't show a problem but format reported Track 0 unusable. Different SD card installed and problem has not so far recurred - but very few photos taken.

Does not really explain internal storage problem or thumbnail only problem

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, interesting. Maybe the SD card corruption was indirectly causing issues. I've certainly seen posts here where removal of a malfunctioning SD card corrected various odd issues that didn't necessarily have to do with saving files on the card itself. Hope the problem stays gone!

Rincewindwiz

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
Im hoping you are right. Encouraging that others have found SD card errors appear to contribute to other odd circumstances.
I will consider this 'solved' and start a new thread is the problem recurs