Have i killed my v20 ?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it does anything. I looked on my V20 and it's just a spring loaded contact point. From the tear down video, I didn't see anything connected to it. I also have an extended battery with a TPU cover to replace the stock back cover, and no ill effects other than a loss of NFC (which I don't use anyway). Look at your back cover and see if anything on it lines up with where that little point would be. I.e. A circuit trace on the inside of the cover.

I don't think I'd be too concerned about it for now, though.

Nov 29, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I've put the part back in place with a little touch of glue. It's odd though as its mounted to a tiny pcb it doesn't appear to have been connected to the motherboard at all.
Since reinstalling I notice that I'm getting a lot of call drop outs when driving along a route I've not had issue with prior, possible hand over issues? possible antenna issues?

Its contact point on the inside back cover is circles below.

Does anyone know what this contact point relates to?

Attachments

• 20191129_140410.jpg
    20191129_140410.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191129_140410.jpg
    20191129_140410.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 13

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Since reinstalling I notice that I'm getting a lot of call drop outs when driving along a route I've not had issue with prior, possible hand over issues? possible antenna issues?

Does anyone know what this contact point relates to?

I've been having issues with maintaining a connection when driving lately too. Both for calls and data. I'm sure it caused a 911 operator a small heart attack when it dropped a call to them and took a bit to reconnect to a tower to call again (thankfully it wasn't critical). It's so bad now that it's one reason I'm finally looking at replacing the phone. Fyi, this is on Verizon.

I did some more digging about those contact points. According to this thread, they were intended for a replacement back cover to enable wireless charging, but those covers never came to fruition.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/how-to/lg-v20-wireless-charging-support-t3486488

So I think there's nothing to worry about. Given the age of the phone, LG isn't going to spend the time and money to develop a new product for a phone they no longer support. Not to mention much of the V20 user base has already moved on to other phones. Those contact points serve no purpose other than to make us ask questions.

Nov 29, 2019
Visit site
thanks, unfortunately, I still had major issues when with reception when driving back today. I've taken the phone apart again and found a few other contact points that looked a little misaligned but nothing major. I still have good internet over 4g but can't make calls which is strange to me. Think I need an expert to look into this, uk based recommendation are welcome.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the U.S, but I'll ask some of the other volunteers from that side of the pond if they have any suggestions.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
thanks, unfortunately, I still had major issues when with reception when driving back today. I've taken the phone apart again and found a few other contact points that looked a little misaligned but nothing major. I still have good internet over 4g but can't make calls which is strange to me. Think I need an expert to look into this, uk based recommendation are welcome.

Maybe @belodion or @ironass know of any UK based company.

Nov 29, 2019
Visit site
thanks for the suggestions everyone, now I have an idea on price, I think a repair is going to be a false economy on this phone. Time to get a new one.replacement v20