Stylus options for someone finished with the Note line

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The Note 8 just seems like I'm not going to like it. I would really only be getting it for the s-pen and Im starting to feel like I cant justify that.

The V30 is looking sweeter and sweeter but there's that one thing... I really use the S-pen a lot for drawing. Ive done a little research and the stylus market doesnt look much different than it did back in 2012 when I was looking for one to play Drawsomething on my Incredible2.

Are there any that work on V30 that are similar to the s-pen?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but there's NOTHING that comes even remotely close to the S-Pen other than Note-like devices (and the V30 is not one of such clones). If that's something that you really must have, your options are very limited, I'm afraid. Active stylii still don't come close to the accuracy of the S-Pen, especially if you're gonna use it for drawing (for writing badly as long as you're OK with bad handwriting that's not tiny and precise yet legible, then OK).

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Note 8 just seems like I'm not going to like it. I would really only be getting it for the s-pen and Im starting to feel like I cant justify that.

The V30 is looking sweeter and sweeter but there's that one thing... I really use the S-pen a lot for drawing. Ive done a little research and the stylus market doesnt look much different than it did back in 2012 when I was looking for one to play Drawsomething on my Incredible2.

Are there any that work on V30 that are similar to the s-pen?

What do you like with the V30 over the Note8?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
The Note is the only phone with a pressure sensitive stylus, no one else builds the required tech into the device. To make it even better, Samsung uses a Wacom digitizer for the S PEN, which is the industry leader in pen tech.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
This is what I was afraid of.

I don't like the tall aspect ratio or the rounded sides. I especially hate the whole idea of Bixby and the dedicated button. Also it's expensive.

The v30 looks like alot of what I want. Wider screen minimal bezels and a focus on audio quality. Dual cameras seem comparable. Also I'm just really sick of the ubiquity of Samsung.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
If you want a pen that writes well without the hardware and software of the S pen opt for the fabric mesh stylus.

On my S8+ I write to S Notes with a thicker setting and for writing only it is just as good as the S pen. I'm not saying it's a super replacement as it lacks the various controls. But people are plain wrong when they claim it doesn't write clearly, boldly or without skipping.

People are determined to misinterpret what I say. I'm not representing that this type of stylus is a substitute for the S pen. I am saying it writes well and far superior to the rubber egg like stylus that is the most common replacement.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This is what I was afraid of.

I don't like the tall aspect ratio or the rounded sides. I especially hate the whole idea of Bixby and the dedicated button. Also it's expensive.

The v30 looks like alot of what I want. Wider screen minimal bezels and a focus on audio quality. Dual cameras seem comparable. Also I'm just really sick of the ubiquity of Samsung.

Based on what you didn't like about the Note8, I don't think you're going to like the V30 either.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If you want a pen that writes well without the hardware and software of the S pen opt for the fabric mesh stylus.

On my S8+ I write to S Notes with a thicker setting and for writing only it is just as good as the S pen. I'm not saying it's a super replacement as it lacks the various controls. But people are plain wrong when they claim it doesn't write clearly, boldly or without skipping.

People are determined to misinterpret what I say. I'm not representing that this type of stylus is a substitute for the S pen. I am saying it writes well and far superior to the rubber egg like stylus that is the most common replacement.
I don't necessarily need controls. Honestly I hate that it has a button right where you hold it. I'm mainly just looking for a fine tip.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

It does write better than the rubber ones and even active ones I've tried, but it's NOT comparable to S-Pen. Sure, if you use a super-thick brush, anything will be good enough. But if you use a normal stroke, like a pen or pencil, those just won't do. It will be enough to write and be legible, but it will be a very bad penmanship and nowhere near what your actual handwriting looks like with a real pen.

Not trying to debunk your 'this kind of pen works for me' assessment, it's just that for precision (which is what the OP is asking about specifically), there's no way that a mesh stylus will do it.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Voice commands would be easier than the stylus to use

I use my stylus to take notes in meetings. I use OneNote and the handwriting recognition in the Note line works great. My Meeting notes are immediately synced to my laptop. After the meeting I can change the notes to tasks and assign them to team members.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
It does write better than the rubber ones and even active ones I've tried, but it's NOT comparable to S-Pen. Sure, if you use a super-thick brush, anything will be good enough. But if you use a normal stroke, like a pen or pencil, those just won't do. It will be enough to write and be legible, but it will be a very bad penmanship and nowhere near what your actual handwriting looks like with a real pen.

Not trying to debunk your 'this kind of pen works for me' assessment, it's just that for precision (which is what the OP is asking about specifically), there's no way that a mesh stylus will do it.

Respectfully, I disagree. It's not designed to draw pictures and I would never use the brush mode. But if you want to make notes only using a thicker setting it is just as good as any S pen or Microsoft stylus. And I have them all.

As I said before it writes boldly, does not skip and is absolutely precise enough to make notes and store them in S Notes or One Note. And the better fabric mesh pens do not suffer from the ridiculous fragility of the Note 5 S pen, for example.

Don't misunderstood me. I'm not saying it has the versatility of the S pen but for regular notes it is superb.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I use my stylus to take notes in meetings. I use OneNote and the handwriting recognition in the Note line works great. My Meeting notes are immediately synced to my laptop. After the meeting I can change the notes to tasks and assign them to team members.

I have a Surface Pro, One Note is simply AMAZING. Use it on my Note as well, it's great how they sync.