Quality Issues with the V30's OLED Display?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Even though I was hesitant before I purchased the phone, in everyday use I don't notice the display issues. Granted, I don't really have hotspots. But I do have some unevenness and banding. And I do notice a couple horizontal bands, in particular. But does that make me hate the phone? No. That's why the review on The Verge is preference, at best. The reviewer literally states that the bad display makes the phone unusable, which is a very liberal stretch of reality.

You are your own best reviewer. Always trust your own judgement and experience is how I live.

scubabob34

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I purchased mine via the Verizon website - arrived 10/10. Can't see any banding or discoloring using a grey screen at differing brightness. However, I have one dead pixel in the lower 1/3 of the screen, dead center. Would you return for that? (I'm not even sure they would exchange for only 1 dead pixel). The other thing that concerns me is would I get a screen with the banding issue...

Thoughts?

scubabob34

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I purchased mine via the Verizon website - arrived 10/10. Can't see any banding or discoloring using a grey screen at differing brightness. However, I have one dead pixel in the lower 1/3 of the screen, dead center. Would you return for that? (I'm not even sure they would exchange for only 1 dead pixel). The other thing that concerns me is would I get a screen with the banding issue...

Thoughts?

cnotes2016

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site

Thoughts?

I'm seeing your post in doubles on my v30

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Thoughts?
I would absolutely return for a dead pixel

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having the same issue as the verge where the screen is grainy when brightness is turned down?

Erik Sanchez2

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
it's definitely an issue for me. I received mine yesterday and it feels unusable. In low light settings you can see that one side is darker than the other. There's also a weird line going down the middle. It looks like there are squares on the screen that are uneven in color brightness.

Keep in mind this is only noticable inside when the screen brightness is low.

Gonna take it back to TMobile today.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I just got mine last night. I haven't noticed anything bad about the display. I haven't gone looking either. My old phone was the Galaxy S7 Edge, and I don't notice any extreme difference. I think it's one of three things.

1) the Verge got a bad handset
2) The reviewer is just exaggerating to make the point that the display isn't quite as good ad Samsung
3) somebody got paid.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine last night. I haven't noticed anything bad about the display. I haven't gone looking either. My old phone was the Galaxy S7 Edge, and I don't notice any extreme difference. I think it's one of three things.

1) the Verge got a bad handset
2) The reviewer is just exaggerating to make the point that the display isn't quite as good ad Samsung
3) somebody got paid.
There are varying degrees of how bad each handset is. The one I have is a bit splotchy, and does have some banding that is noticeable in certain situations, but not nearly as bad as I've seen in other handsets.

However, the reviewer is definitely exaggerating the issue, probably for click bait, since most other reviews praise the V30 up and down and his disagreement will distinguish his review from others. He's simply taking an issue that has some forum traction and blowing it out of proportion.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Thoughts?

For the price we are paying for the phone I would definitely exchange it for a new one, even if it is only one pixel that's bad.

Revelation Sound

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
I heard about this issue on the pre production models. When I went to the store and checked out the V30 the only thing I noticed was the screen looked better than my IPhone 6. Colors were more vibrant and the screen just looked better. I M very happy with the screen and have no issues with it all.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I heard about this issue on the pre production models. When I went to the store and checked out the V30 the only thing I noticed was the screen looked better than my IPhone 6. Colors were more vibrant and the screen just looked better. I M very happy with the screen and have no issues with it all.

I saw the same versus my iPhone 7+ at an AT&T store. Looked good! But hoping it's not something that would show over time. I run my phone hard all day and would hate for the screen to go to crap a few months in.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The display on my V30 is beautiful. Even at 30% brightness there is no banding or graininess. Was the Verge review of production model or pre-production?

Travis Nolen

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I have one horizontal band that is about 75% down the screen. It is only visible at 25% and lower brightness, and not at all during the day. I don't have any color inconsistencies that I've noticed. Also, using a black theme I found on the Play Store called Pixel Black made it less annoying.

That being said, it's still aggravating.

Other than the that, the phone is pretty much perfect in my opinion...which makes the screen that much more annoying.

Last edited:

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I just received my T-Mobile V30 today (a day early yay!) and so far the screen has shown no signs of banding or any of the color inconsistency. I am really amazed how dim the screen will get! Off-angle viewing does show a slight bluishness, but nothing that I can not live with. So far I am very impressed,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa