V30 and Android Auto - A Mess

kmp14

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Well, I was loving my V30, very happy with it, until I tried Android Auto with my Ford Sync 3. It disconnects frequently, sometimes over and over again until finally it will stay connected for a random amount of time, before disconnecting again. Argh! It will disconnect all of a sudden, or, sometimes when I get a text message and click on it, it will disconnect. Frequently I get an error message from Sync saying the USB device is not compatible or has stopped responding or something. I have tried a couple other cables, both of which worked perfectly with my Nexus 6p. The only thing I have not tried is using the cable that came with the V30, which I will try tomorrow.

I use Android Auto exclusively in my car, so if this doesnt work the V30 will be returned, post haste. Very disappointed. :(

Any one else try the V30 with Android Auto?

wsgrabowski

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I had an LG G3 which worked perfectly in my 2017 VW GTI, but my new V30 using the default USB C cable won't connect. I have tried 2 other cables with the same result. I have ordered a 3' Anker USB C cable in one last attempt to connect. My research suggests that USB C cables are especially finicky. Other than that, I love the V30 and will not return it since I believe other Android phones may have the same problem.

kmp14

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Well, the good news is that the cable that came with the V30 seems to have fixed the connectivity issues. The bad news, and this is a WEIRD one, is that, when further testing the AA, when I try to send a text, and AA asks if I want to "Send It" or "Change It", it seems to ALMOST ALWAYS think I said to "Change It" . Why? Who knows. Just too frustrating for me. I use AA daily as my car system, so it simply has to work reliably (which it does 100% with my Nexus 6p), so, unfortunately, it is going to be returned. I realize they will likely fix this stuff, but I need it work out of the box. Enough beta testing for me. :(

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had an LG G3 which worked perfectly in my 2017 VW GTI, but my new V30 using the default USB C cable won't connect. I have tried 2 other cables with the same result. I have ordered a 3' Anker USB C cable in one last attempt to connect. My research suggests that USB C cables are especially finicky. Other than that, I love the V30 and will not return it since I believe other Android phones may have the same problem.

IF you are talking about data thoughput speed, yes, there are some serious differences between USB C cables. Try to make sure you get a usb3.0 capable cable... hopefully Benson approved!

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Buying good USB C cables can be tricky at times. I have been transitioning from micro to C now that 3 of our family phones use USB C.

Amazon has some good deals but I have found to ignore cables that have 5 star ratings and only a couple of hundred reviews. The majority of the reviews sound like they are all written by 2 or 3 people.

I buy cables that have at least 500+ reviews, a lot of verified purchases and have an average rating of 4.5 stars.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, the good news is that the cable that came with the V30 seems to have fixed the connectivity issues. The bad news, and this is a WEIRD one, is that, when further testing the AA, when I try to send a text, and AA asks if I want to "Send It" or "Change It", it seems to ALMOST ALWAYS think I said to "Change It" . Why? Who knows. Just too frustrating for me. I use AA daily as my car system, so it simply has to work reliably (which it does 100% with my Nexus 6p), so, unfortunately, it is going to be returned. I realize they will likely fix this stuff, but I need it work out of the box. Enough beta testing for me. :(

Cables are finicky....my V20 cable went bad. It worked with everything but AA and LG replaced it.

wsgrabowski

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Following up on my initial post. I reinstalled Android Auto and reconnected with the default V30 cable. The phone was correctly identified by my 2017 VW GTI info unit as before, but still did not automatically connect. Then I noticed on the unit that two items were highlighted: Android Auto and Mirrorlink. My LG3 had been set up by my car dealer so I missed this step. I then realized that maybe I had to select one or the other, and after I selected AA... BOOM... successful connection. This is my "operator error"! 😳

I then took it for an extended test drive to test stability. I voice commanded directions to another location which very rapidly responded, and off we went. On the way we called my son by voice command which immediately connected. We had an extended conversation with him while navigating and simultaneously listening to '60s music. This went on for 15 minutes until we got to an area of marginal cellular connection, at which point the phone call was maintained but Android Auto disconnected and reconnection could not be reestablished... until we terminated the cell phone conversation, at which point there was an automatic reconnection to AA and navigation resumed. This may be a bug.

Anyway I am satisfied now that I can get AA to work, and I await my new Anker USB 3.1 C cable to test.

Taras Melnychenko

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
I am surprised how large is the brotherhood. I have used Anker's cable for 6 months in my 2017 VW GTI and it worked flawlessly. However, AA does not want to work properly with the V30 and same cable. I have contacted Anker's customer service and will see what they say.

wsgrabowski

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just received an Anker Powerline II USB-C 3.1 Gen2 3ft cable to place in my GTI. It appears to be very high quality with a velcro strap attached to the cable for stowing. The connection to Android Auto was instantaneous and worked flawlessly with Maps, voice, music using Pandora, and screen touch selection. Test drive was no problem. Looks like a very good cable.

zombiejerky

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to chime in since I have been having issues. I have tried 3 cables, including the one that came with the V30 and I am having the issues you have described. Nothing I have tried seems to work, and I have tried so many things (clearing cache of bluetooth app, setting android auto, google services, and bluetooth to be ignored by power saver, different cables, etc.). If someone has suggestions, please let me know. It all worked fine with the Note 5 last year, the 2 Note 7s last year, and the V20 I just got rid of about a month ago. It worked fine until about 2 weeks ago, when it started to disconnect.

I am using a v30 with a Honda Civic Coupe 2016. I have a friend that is having the same issues with a Note 8 with a Honda Civic Sedan 2016.

He was thinking, from combing the Internet, it might be related to bluetooth 5.0. But I have yet to confirm that. I just know it is frustrating as F.... That wouldn't explain why mine just started to have issues after a couple of weeks of owning it.

It is crazy to think I have relied on it so much over the past year that is makes me this mad when I don't have it.

metstang

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with my 2016 Civic. I ended up factory resetting the infotainment system and that did the trick. Not a single issue since.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Well, I was loving my V30, very happy with it, until I tried Android Auto with my Ford Sync 3. It disconnects frequently, sometimes over and over again until finally it will stay connected for a random amount of time, before disconnecting again. Argh! It will disconnect all of a sudden, or, sometimes when I get a text message and click on it, it will disconnect. Frequently I get an error message from Sync saying the USB device is not compatible or has stopped responding or something. I have tried a couple other cables, both of which worked perfectly with my Nexus 6p. The only thing I have not tried is using the cable that came with the V30, which I will try tomorrow.

I use Android Auto exclusively in my car, so if this doesnt work the V30 will be returned, post haste. Very disappointed. :(

Any one else try the V30 with Android Auto?

Sorry to hear this. I have a LG V30 and a 2017 Ford Explorer with Sync 3 and android auto works fine for me. No different than my Galaxy S8 worked with it.

wsgrabowski

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Android Auto is still working well for me on my 2017 VW GTI after about 6 weeks of usage. By the way, if you have not tried Waze, do so; it is excellent, more fun than Google Maps, and works with Android Auto.

domhnall dods

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I think it is an LG thing, my G6 (work phone) refuses to connect with any cable to my car, every other phone I have ever plugged in works fine. My personal phone (lenovo P2) is away for a warranty repair so I dug out my olg LG G4. It worked fine with AA for one day and now refuses to connect. The car says that mirrorlink is not supported by the phone (and yes, I have selected AA not mirrorlink).