First impressions... pretty much the same as V20 and G6

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Aquila, as I said: "To me".... I believe they both in the same mode.
But, each of us see things different.
I like both displays. Other wise I would not keep both, or one.
I am liking my V30 more each day.

Lateck,

I like both too but prefer the LCD. AMOLED is no doubt beautiful.

wk123

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My personal thoughts on the V20 & V30. I personally like the screen on the 20 better. In side by side viewing with the same photo, the 20 has whiter whites. To me truer colors.
One cannot discount the build on the 20 as being better in that it won't break as easily. And of course the removable battery.
But, I'm not returning my V30. I like the larger screen and smaller form factor . Faster response, although it is just mental. The phone is gorgeous, but it will almost aways wear a case. The cameras are the main reason I went with the 30. I have used the wide angle on my 20 a lot. So the 30 offers more. (The same reason I did not go to thr N8).

Lateck,
What scenarios do you use the wide angle camera?

Interested to see how others use it.

Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So price determines whether or not it's a flagship?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.androidauthority.com/what-is-a-flagship-710803/amp/

It's the best device they offer and the specs are pretty much the same as, actually better than, current gen phones. Their target market are flagship phone users. They don't really spend money on marketing that's why they can afford the price, VS Apple and Google with ads everywhere.

Nexus 6P = has problems too, battery problems. Don't praise Google simply because it's a Google product, they have their flaws and pros/cons. This year's con is lack of innovation and removal of widely used headphone jack.

No, price doesn't determine flagship alone. I said it's a midrange device with midrange features and a midrange pricetag. The first two make it not a flagship, the last one means they priced it correctly, more or less. It's a really good midranger, for people who like what it does.

OnePlus 5 things that are similar to flagships: SOC, RAM, generally does good at security updates (better than most OEM's on their flagships)

But the thing to key in on, is that it has far more in common with devices like the Moto Play devices, than with say an iPhone 8 Plus or V30, especially from a software standpoint. Another is that it is positioned as a US market option (in addition to other markets), but doesn't support the networks over over half of the US consumers. That alone means they're not even trying to position it as a viable Samsung or iPhone or LG competitor within that market. Finally, with OnePlus's tagline of "Never Settle", the things they do compromise in are thrown into much harsher light because it makes one wonder, why exactly they are compromising... in other words, asking their customers to settle, simply to get a lesser price tag. Value is a midranger or budget argument. Throwing your best possible efforts against the best efforts of the industry is how flagship devices are made.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The glass scratching is actually a thing with Gorilla Glass 5.

My Note8 has a faint one on the back already. While it is the same hardness roughly as GG4, doesn't seem as scratch resistant.

As for the design, let's just say it's subjective. I honestly couldn't tell a V30 apart from a Galaxy S8+ from the front because they honestly look identical, which I think is no bad thing considering that they both look stunning.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The glass scratching is actually a thing with Gorilla Glass 5.

My Note8 has a faint one on the back already. While it is the same hardness roughly as GG4, doesn't seem as scratch resistant.

Well, no phone surface is scratch proof. Jerryrigeverything tested GG 5 on the Note 8 (and other recent phones with GG5 as well) and it didn't scratch until a Mohs level 6, which is what's expected. I don't argue that the S7s had an issue with apparently softer screens (as JRE found in his S7 videos), but GG appears to have corrected whatever issue there was with GG 5. So a couple recent annecdotal stories about scratches doesn't point to a widespread issue/concern, as a grain of sand can scratch any GG screen, so it can happen to anyone.

EDIT: Actually, just saw that JRE posted a retraction video for the S7, as his Mohs picks were causing the premature scratching. He retested and the GG5 didn't scratch til a 6.

Last edited:

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a V20. I went into two different T-Mobile stores. They both didn't have it on display and they had to bring it out from the backroom to show it. Sales guys didn't really know anything about it nor seem to care.

My first impression: gorgeous looking device, a lot better looking than the Note 8 or S8 Plus (or even iPhone 8's recycled design). It's also very light weight compared to the V20, slightly narrower and shorter (not super narrow like the S8 Plus). I'm very glad the curves were done right, not too curvy nor affecting usage. The back looks kinda weird though, glass looks a little warped.

Camera: I honestly didn't see any immediate difference with the camera quality and speed (compared to the V20) with the exception of the 13MP camera which looks awesome, the wide angle distortion is gone and quality is very good. I haven't gotten to really test it out as I was in the store playing with it for a minute, I think it does focus a little faster and has a better bokeh effect when taking pictures of objects close up.

Display: I also didn't see much difference with the V20's display and the V30's AMOLED screen, looks very similar. I'm sure it would look better in dim light since it's AMOLED. I think the P-AMOLED helped make the phone lighter since it's plastic and not glass.

If you already have the V20/G6, then maybe it's better to hold off till a price drop or wait for the G7/V40. Otherwise, I still think it's a MUCH better choice than the Pixel 2 and Note 8 personally, price wise and feature wise. If you have the extra cash this holiday season and willing to splurge, I'd say do it! Think I'm gonna wait a bit longer, at least until a very good tempered glass screen protector is released and see if there are any reports of issues (there's already reports of glass scratching easily, not surprised with Gorilla Glass 5).

Hold on now, I have a v20, S7 EDGE and ZTE axon 7. The v30 is way ahead of these devices. And, lg did it by keeping the size of this phone nice and user friendly, while you can't say that about the v20. The audio, and camera prowess that is built in is also stunningly ahead. Don't forget, too, that your getting an oled screen that's on parks with my Sammy phone,and not the horrible lcd screen with washed out colors. Now I'm not knocking the v20. A good phone. But not even in the same league with the v30.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
100% disagree. It's firmly a midranger, with midranger features and midranger pricing. Only the SOC and RAM are high end, but there's so much more to a phone than that.

Where'd the 6P come from?

I'm gonna leave the rest alone :) We're pretty far apart on the rest and don't think we're gonna agree.

So question to you have you used a one plus 5? The experience of having used one for a while it absolutely flies I had a note 8 for a few weeks do you know what I found software Trump's specs the one plus flies in everyday use the oneplus was much faster and the funny part in everyday use the note 8 never got as good battery life before someone says it's because the screen is 1080p the note 8 like the s8 before it default to 1080p. Everyone experience is different price and name do not make a flagship. Look at the original reviews of the pixel software Trump's physical aspects in the end.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So question to you have you used a one plus 5? The experience of having used one for a while it absolutely flies I had a note 8 for a few weeks do you know what I found software Trump's specs the one plus flies in everyday use the oneplus was much faster and the funny part in everyday use the note 8 never got as good battery life before someone says it's because the screen is 1080p the note 8 like the s8 before it default to 1080p. Everyone experience is different price and name do not make a flagship. Look at the original reviews of the pixel software Trump's physical aspects in the end.
I think you're possibly making my point but thinking we disagree. The SOC and RAM on the Note 8 and OP5 are similar, but there's a whole lot more to a device than just that. Software absolutely matters, so does design, support and many other aspects.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you're possibly making my point but thinking we disagree. The SOC and RAM on the Note 8 and OP5 are similar, but there's a whole lot more to a device than just that. Software absolutely matters, so does design, support and many other aspects.

While I agree with you here's what I have found though in the end you can have the most gorgeous​ phone in the world. Personal experience have had just as good experience of with one plus as have had with the larger brands. Am I buying the new pixel XL yes because here is the thing Samsung great for security patches but longevity of there software sucks. It was a hard choice because I think lg clicks all the right boxes but each there own. We will care to disagree but I respect your answers

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
While I agree with you here's what I have found though in the end you can have the most gorgeous​ phone in the world. Personal experience have had just as good experience of with one plus as have had with the larger brands. Am I buying the new pixel XL yes because here is the thing Samsung great for security patches but longevity of there software sucks. It was a hard choice because I think lg clicks all the right boxes but each there own. We will care to disagree but I respect your answers
For me personally I would really like to use the V30 except for a couple deal breakers. Note 8 has several more deal breakers.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I've owned the phone for a few days (I have a relatively extensive thread somewhere with my more extended thoughts) and I'm thoroughly pleased with it. The display is incredible at higher brightness, but my device does have hotspots at the lowest brightness with solid colors. The build quality is exemplary, and this is quite possible the best in-hand feeling I've ever had with a phone. It feels awesome. It's a fantastic, beautiful phone, but I still don't like the glass back. It's a serious fingerprint magnet. Everything has been as expected: cameras are great, but they didn't completely blow me away coming from my 950 XL, the screen is awesome, performance is on cue... but one thing has really surprised me:
Battery life...?
I've been getting extremely good battery life with this phone. 6+ hours of SoT. I have the AoD turned on, 50% brightness at all times, no features turned off. I mean, it's only been a few days, but I've been consistently getting up at 5 in the morning and coming home eleven hours later with 80% left. It's shocked me how good my battery life has been. I didn't expect this at all. I could go two days with this thing.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The V30, S8+, and Note 8 are beautiful phones but my application and use continues to make the V20 the best device for me.
8 plus hours of Screen On Time with multiple apps using GPS full time creates a lot of stress on the battery. I can't take time to charge battery.
Also, active use of the phone while connected to charging cord stresses port over time creating loose unreliable connection. I currently keep a spare battery and charging pack in my car and swap whenever I reach 50%.
I also find the 16×9 aspect ratio better for viewing video and maps.
The tall skinny display does nothing for me and provides less usable viewing area. I have good sized hands so I can easily navigate a wide screen.
Finally the IR blaster is something I use everyday.
I have over a dozen devices in my home and work environment that use IR remotes. I operate them all with my V20.
It doesn't appear that removable batteries, 16x9 screens, or IR blasters are returning so I am buying a 3rd V20 battery and good case to get as long a life as I can from this phone.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, no phone surface is scratch proof. Jerryrigeverything tested GG 5 on the Note 8 (and other recent phones with GG5 as well) and it didn't scratch until a Mohs level 6, which is what's expected. I don't argue that the S7s had an issue with apparently softer screens (as JRE found in his S7 videos), but GG appears to have corrected whatever issue there was with GG 5. So a couple recent annecdotal stories about scratches doesn't point to a widespread issue/concern, as a grain of sand can scratch any GG screen, so it can happen to anyone.

EDIT: Actually, just saw that JRE posted a retraction video for the S7, as his Mohs picks were causing the premature scratching. He retested and the GG5 didn't scratch til a 6.

Does anyone remember the Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, and Galaxy S5? Even many years after abuse, the screen looks pretty darn good still. IMO Gorilla Glass 3 back in the day was better at resisting scratches.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's a flagship (since its their latest phone) for OnePlus but I think the point is that it's not really flagship quality. They are just trying to be a player.

Then that means ZTE Axon and Huawei Mate series aren't flagships because they are Chinese brands that came from China? FYI Apple phones are all manufactured in China, pretty much all the same thing. Chinese companies are trying to take advantage of their own manufacturing labor and offer lower prices, though they lack in design and R&D.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The V30, S8+, and Note 8 are beautiful phones but my application and use continues to make the V20 the best device for me.
8 plus hours of Screen On Time with multiple apps using GPS full time creates a lot of stress on the battery. I can't take time to charge battery.
Also, active use of the phone while connected to charging cord stresses port over time creating loose unreliable connection. I currently keep a spare battery and charging pack in my car and swap whenever I reach 50%.
I also find the 16×9 aspect ratio better for viewing video and maps.
The tall skinny display does nothing for me and provides less usable viewing area. I have good sized hands so I can easily navigate a wide screen.
Finally the IR blaster is something I use everyday.
I have over a dozen devices in my home and work environment that use IR remotes. I operate them all with my V20.
It doesn't appear that removable batteries, 16x9 screens, or IR blasters are returning so I am buying a 3rd V20 battery and good case to get as long a life as I can from this phone.

I have 4 V20 batteries. The V20 isn't really that old. The camera still rocks, I still prefer the 16MP sensor vs the 12MP. Phone is still very thin in design, super fast and optimized OS, best battery standby performance I've seen. Still beats new gen smartphones in many ways.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Having switched from the V20 to the V30...as logical as it is, lol..I'll describe the improvements as incremental.

Surprisingly I haven't missed the feature I thought would bother me most, the removable battery. I'm def what you would consider a power user and I'm getting great life with the V30. Plus with fast charging, throwing it on a charger for 20 min gives you a surprising amount of charge. This should only get better with Android O.

The camera....this is tough for me, because I don't use the wide angle at all. The regular I would say is better, but how much, I'm not sure. Took some pics at an NHL game a few days ago, and no blur during action shots. They aren't Sports Illustrated quality shots but are useable.

The music part is a nice improvement. The quad dac is amazing and the audio/video recording capabilities are really good. Took some video and audio only at a rather loud Third Eye Blind concert and was quite pleased.

The overall speed is definitely faster running the web or programs on the V30.

So that's my take right now. I wouldn't consider this a "must have" upgrade if one is loving the V20, but it's good. Had I been a more patient user who doesn't always need the latest and greatest, going from the V20 to the V40 probably would've been a lot more noticeable and made more sense, but with the $200 visa card and free Google VR stuff, to me was worth it.

Is the improvement in music from the V20 really noticeable because I tried it and couldn't tell any difference?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'll be honest...not to my ears. Don't get me wrong, the sound is great, but based on what I listen to music through... Bose in home speakers, car aux connection, or beats headphones....I'd be hard pressed to tell any difference from my V20.

As I stated, I probably would have been better served waiting on the V40 having owned the V20. The perks and freebies got me, and I won't regret the purchase, but it wasn't like a complete overhaul for me. I was let down when a video showed YouTube playing from the bottom and earpiece speakers and that function seemingly doesn't exist, and the camera is better, but again, not enough to make it a must have. Just my opinion on the phone as a whole.