Sept vs Oct Manufacture Date and Screen Issues

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So, it appears as though there's some conjecture on other forums that the V30s that have a manufacture date of October don't have the screen issues (or aren't nearly as bad, at least) as those handsets manufactured in September or earlier.

So, to test this, look at the sticker on your V30 box and see when the manufactured date was. Then, download the "Display Tester" to test your screen (go to the Defective Pixel Detection test, swipe up until you get the to gray screen, drag your finger right/left to adjust brightness to about 20%, and look at the screen in a dark room for most impact). After all that, post here with your results and manufactured date.

I want to see if this is really the case, as I may exchange my phone if it's shown that October handsets are in much better shape, screen wise.

traviswhayne

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine is a 09/2017 and I'm not seeing any display issues using display tester. Of course ymmv, as I've noticed display perception seems to be a matter of taste...

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
To add, my handset is Sept 2017, and my display is not as bad as some pictures I've seen, but I do have splotchiness and some banding.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine is a 09/2017 and I'm not seeing any display issues using display tester. Of course ymmv, as I've noticed display perception seems to be a matter of taste...
Yes and no. Whether the screen inconsistency is an issue for you is a matter of taste. However, looking at a solid color screen at low light and seeing splotches, banding, unevenness, and hot spots shouldn't be a perception concern. If one chooses to ignore the situation due to perception, so be it. That doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist. And that's what I'm trying to figure out, if the issue does exist on certain handsets, regardless of perception.

NationalTrust

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
September build. I sat in a dark room with brightness at 19% and as hard as I tried I could find no issues using the Display tester.

spatel19

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a September build and my screen is perfect. I was in a dark room with the gray screen and display brightness at 15% and no problem at all.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think it's conjecture and or wishful thinking. Time will tell for sure.
Possibly, as initially people were reporting that only Verizon handsets had the issue. But, I figure this is easy enough to figure out. However, could be swayed by those that don't know what to look for.

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
9/27/2017 and I don't notice any issues. But displays are subjective--aside from displaymate testing, I think there will always be some diferences of opinion. OF course, if a professional reviewer is not happy with the display, that will make a lot of people more nervous...

willypguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
To those that have Oct manufacture date, where did you buy it and what carrier?

I have an AT&T model with the banding problem, I am returning it tomorrow.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the screen issue did mainly hit Verizon because VZW got the earliest release of the handsets, which were manufactured in September. While other companies got October builds, where the issue had been better controlled.

I say this because people are reporting on other forums that when asking Verizon, most locations are still selling September handsets. While TMobile and AT&T are mainly October handsets.

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
10/2017 Sprint

Definitely some splotches dong the above test, didn't notice anything before doing the test though. But have only had the phone for just over a day so haven't used it a bunch.

willypguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
My AT&T V30 was a September. I ordered another one from Best Buy and it should be here tomorrow. I really don't want to give up the V30.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
9/17 Tmo - display tester: Might be a slightly faint banding in only one of the tests with one line towards the middle, but really, I can hardly see it with the tester and not at all up to this point otherwise. Keeper in my book.