So how is everyone liking the camera?

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Curious as to how the camera is performing on the V40 compared to other phones that people have used? I've seen some pretty positive reviews and of course some nagative ones also. I like to get real user opinions.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
i think my V20 was better, but i don't know if it's my V40 camera, V40 screen or settings on either (or both).
I am not doubting your results but it does confuse me. I am not a photographer by any means and almost always use automatic. My V20 and V30 were not even close to my V40. Low light especially. Even my son commented how much better my photos have been and he is a Pixel user (new Pixel 3). I should pull out photos I took at a concert with my V20 and post the concert photos this year with my V40. As I said, it could be me. I fully admit that I suck at pictures. Funny since years ago I had to do lighting for media.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I love the camera. I have had all of the V series phones and this is much better. As stated above, especially in low light.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I am not doubting your results but it does confuse me. I am not a photographer by any means and almost always use automatic. My V20 and V30 were not even close to my V40. Low light especially. Even my son commented how much better my photos have been and he is a Pixel user (new Pixel 3). I should pull out photos I took at a concert with my V20 and post the concert photos this year with my V40. As I said, it could be me. I fully admit that I suck at pictures. Funny since years ago I had to do lighting for media.

i am a photographer but i still shoot film. i can't meaningfully compare the V20 to V40 because i haven't shot the same picture at the same time with both cameras. but maybe i am still stuck on the problem of having to select manual camera every time. on my V20 it always opened the camera where i last left it, in manual mode. manual camera mode is the main reason i started using LG V phones.

anyway i did actually shoot the same image with both my V40 and contax T2 (film camera) recently. so here is a side by side or above by below (?) comparison:

ORIGINAL
1205181143a.jpg

V40 + VSCO
2018-12-05 04.47.39 1.jpg

35MM FILM (lo res scan from the lab with minimal PS)
LRFWshadow40410031.jpg

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
i am a photographer but i still shoot film. i can't meaningfully compare the V20 to V40 because i haven't shot the same picture at the same time with both cameras. but maybe i am still stuck on the problem of having to select manual camera every time. on my V20 it always opened the camera where i last left it, in manual mode. manual camera mode is the main reason i started using LG V phones.

anyway i did actually shoot the same image with both my V40 and contax T2 (film camera) recently. so here is a side by side or above by below (?) comparison:

ORIGINAL
View attachment 296282

V40 + VSCO
View attachment 296283

35MM FILM (lo res scan from the lab with minimal PS)
View attachment 296284
Unedited.
89460518782d47c0cd618cad08cee402.jpg

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
We love the phone. But after being able to switch to the zoom camera while shooting video with our V30 and G6 and V20, it does feel limiting with the V40.

meb12b

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Wife and I switched from iPhone 7 to V40 last week. Could not be more displeased with the camera. This was on AUTO. I might be willing to tinker with the manual settings but my wife is not. We will be returning these phones, trying out the pixel 3, and worse case scenario of the pixel 3 sucks we will end up back on iOS.

Inside, less than ideal lighting, subject in motion, this camera (in auto mode) is nowhere near what an iPhone 7 can do.

0102191848_HDR.jpg

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Wife and I switched from iPhone 7 to V40 last week. Could not be more displeased with the camera. This was on AUTO. I might be willing to tinker with the manual settings but my wife is not. We will be returning these phones, trying out the pixel 3, and worse case scenario of the pixel 3 sucks we will end up back on iOS.

Inside, less than ideal lighting, subject in motion, this camera (in auto mode) is nowhere near what an iPhone 7 can do.

View attachment 296426
Best thing to do is to hold the button down when taking a shot like this on the V40. Not to long it you could end up with 50 photos, but long enough to get 10 or so to select from. It will take them very fast.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Also looking closer at this photo you could try turning on the live photo option in settings. That makes it similar to Apples live motion photos. One final note it appears that the camera focused on the couch. Try tapping on the subject and holding briefly and releasing. It should bring up a kitty autofocus box on the subject you tapped on also.. I can't remember if it follows the subject or you need to follow it.. Our dog was moving in both of the photos.. No processing just auto taking as I described above.
e7d0cc1028edb0380c5859a5da0d7ccc.jpg

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty