Got it today

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Agree that the ambient watch faces are nice, but very bright, on some of them they seem nearly as bright as "on". And TOTALLY want ability to map buttons. For example, I use Google Fit, not LG Fit, and probably will never use LG Fit, so want to map Google Fit to that button. Also, it is rather big, but dang that Garmin is ginormous! Lol. Also really disappointed in the charger. Way too fiddly. Forsee myself waking up in the morning to a dead watch, many days.

And lastly, haven't taken the protective film off the stainless, since still deciding if I'm keeping it. Is there a film on the glass? When I put my fingernail at edge of glass near stainless, I think I feel protective film edge. Is there one on the glass?

Mine didn't have anything on the glass, just around the stainless.

The Garmin is big, but really I don't notice it. I'm 6', 180lbs - tall, but not a big guy by any means and I don't think I have big wrists or arms and I like the way it fits. The black part of it is a carbon plastic mix and the whole thing is pretty light (with the leather strap, I've heard the metal strap version weights a lot more). I've had people comment on the size of it but I guess I'm used to it because it seems like a good fit now.

And it uses a docking cradle too, its not a magnetic disk or anything - BUT the good thing is, I only need to use it once a week. battery life is awesome. :)

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Is it sold online only?

Best Buy has the Garmin in stores. At least by me the demo unit on the sales floor is a non-working model but you can get a feel for the size of it. I bought mine from REI - 10% back and a 1 year return policy.

BTW - I have no affiliation w/ Garmin. :) Not trying to steer anyone away from the Urbane, it just wasn't for me. Physically I think its beautiful and I do wish I liked it more - I only threw the Garmin comments out there because its my point of comparison. Definitely don't want to seem like I'm hi-jacking or trolling this thread.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Mine didn't have anything on the glass, just around the stainless.
The glass protector, if there is one, isn't really apparent, like it is on the stainless, but put your fingernail at edge of glass and move inward. I definitely feel a lip/resistance. I know I could just try to lift it, and I would if I knew I was keeping it, just not sure yet.

Main reasons for my uncertainty are I use a Bluetooth headset for work calls a hundred times a day, and it is pretty quirky since the U2LTE is also treated as a BT headset in Bluetooth settings on phone. And apparently only one BT headset can be connected (for answering/making calls purposes) at a time. Was hoping to be able to answer on watch and transfer to headset if necessary, but apparently is not possible.

Other reasons are that I'm not thrilled with charger, after having a cradle, and all the Android Wear swiping is so awkward compared to the rotating bezel of the Samsung Gear S2 I got recently. And it is 90g compared to the 60g S2.

Oh, and least I forget, their is no automatic brightness like on the S2, and my U2LTE vibration is virtually non existent. And sounds are currently extremely limited - seems to only work for phone calls, alarms, and timers. Only get vibrations for texts and reminders. This is a major oversight.

Do kinda like it though...

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I found the limitation on BT headset rather disappointing. This is where Samsung did it right with its Gear S and Gear Manager app. It allows BT connection to Gear S and a regular BT headset both at the same time on the phone. On the watch, you can transfer call between watch and phone/BT headset easily.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I found the limitation on BT headset rather disappointing. This is where Samsung did it right with its Gear S and Gear Manager app. It allows BT connection to Gear S and a regular BT headset both at the same time on the phone. On the watch, you can transfer call between watch and phone/BT headset easily.

So your phone cannot connect to another BT device if it is connected to the watch?

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You can but you have to do it manually. Once you connect to headset, it will disconnect from the watch (for BT HFP only). I assume in this case, the incoming phone call will be ringed on BT headset instead but I have not tried.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
So your phone cannot connect to another BT device if it is connected to the watch?

It's a little confusing, but these are my findings: My phone treats the U2LTE as a headset, so I had the option to have the U2LTE "connected", or my regular BT headset "connected", even though both are paired.

With the U2LTE connected, I can use the U2LTE to make outgoing calls or receive them and have a conversation using the U2LTE speaker, but I cannot connect that call to my headset.

With my headset connected, I get texts and other notifications on the U2LTE, but it doesn't even light up or acknowledge an incoming phone call. If I try to make a call by accessing the phone app, I get a "Bluetooth phone audio is unavailable. Calling will not work" with a checkmark. If I tap the checkmark, I CAN initiate a call using the U2LTE, and the call works using my headset connected to my phone, but cannot use the U2LTE for the call. The checkmark is annoying, but it works.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It's a little confusing, but these are my findings: My phone treats the U2LTE as a headset, so I had the option to have the U2LTE "connected", or my regular BT headset "connected", even though both are paired.

With the U2LTE connected, I can use the U2LTE to make outgoing calls or receive them and have a conversation using the U2LTE speaker, but I cannot connect that call to my headset.

With my headset connected, I get texts and other notifications on the U2LTE, but it doesn't even light up or acknowledge an incoming phone call. If I try to make a call by accessing the phone app, I get a "Bluetooth phone audio is unavailable. Calling will not work" with a checkmark. If I tap the checkmark, I CAN initiate a call using the U2LTE, and the call works using my headset connected to my phone, but cannot use the U2LTE for the call. The checkmark is annoying, but it works.

Thanks for the explanation. Clear as mud lol. I just want to be able to have it connected to my phone and my phone connected to external BT speaker at work.

Also, is there a keyboard on the watch? Or is it just speak to text like apple?

Oh and also how is the GPS when not connected to phone? I heard that for running you can only use the LG health app to track a run. All other apps with just open on the phone. Is this correct? Also hear vibration was weak. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
AW doesn't support keyboards. So, none out of box. I read there is an app for that.

Most existing apps are probably designed only for current AW devices. So it has no clue how to connect via cellular connection. Given time, some apps will change for sure.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
AW doesn't support keyboards. So, none out of box. I read there is an app for that.

Most existing apps are probably designed only for current AW devices. So it has no clue how to connect via cellular connection. Given time, some apps will change for sure.

So the only way to respond to a text is to talk into the watch? Might be a deal breaker for me.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Because only the latest version of AW supports cellular radio. Baby steps. I have my three-year old Nexus 5 that is already on Marshmallow and my Nexus Player is also on Marshmallow. Its OEMs and/or carriers that are dragging their feet..

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So the only way to respond to a text is to talk into the watch? Might be a deal breaker for me.

Typing on a tiny screen isn't any better. Being there done that (with my Samsung Gear S).

You can choose from a few pre-canned messages for reply (like Ok, Yes, no etc.).

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Typing on a tiny screen isn't any better. Being there done that (with my Samsung Gear S).

You can choose from a few pre-canned messages for reply (like Ok, Yes, no etc.).

I saw wear messenger has a keyboard. Can you use it with this device?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
no, it is part of the messenger app on my phone.
it looks like a different app. Wear messenger app is a paid app. there is also a keyboard app for AW.

Thelt2000x

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
no, it is part of the messenger app on my phone.
it looks like a different app. Wear messenger app is a paid app. there is also a keyboard app for AW.

There are a couple. 1 was free. Just trying to confirm that they work with the watch. Thanks for the help though. If someone downloads I would certainly appreciate the results.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I was looking online for info and decided tot alk to a AT&T CSR. I was inform that I could not buy the watch outright if I didn't have a phone plan. The CSR told me to just buy it with the cheapest plan and cancel the plan after 14 days.

I called 2 AT&T store, the first one didn't have one, the second one did. I went there and spoke to the lady who picked up the phone. She told me I didn't need to get any plan and I could buy it outright. I spent $315 after tax and walked out with the watch. :)

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You never need to sign up for a plan if you buy full price. The problem is if you do that, the CSR get no comp from the sale of plan. So, in many cases, they can actually refuse to sell you the device (because they can sell it to next guy who is willing to pay for a plan if the device is selling hot).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699