Issues with Note 2 switching from 3G (H) And H+

Pyrosiege

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi, i saw an old post about this with no answer so i decided to ask in a fresh thread.

I have a Galaxy Note 2 running Cyanogenmod 12.1. t0lte.

I'm having and issue where my mobile network keeps switching back and forth between 3G hspa and hspa+. At least that's what the icon shows. This wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that when it switches to 3G H it the internet is all but non existent.

It's an issue because my job requires me to use my mobile internet a lot and if it switches mid-upload it usually times out and i have to start what i was doing all over again.

Is there any way to lock it to HSPA+ and/or LTE. (LTE coverage is spotty where i work, usually.)

Also, this issue was happening before I updated to 12.1 as well.

And info would be helpful.
Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cyngn Ray

Official Cyanogen Support
Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
In your preferred network type, what is the setting you have selected? Settings > Mobile networks > preferred network types.

Pyrosiege

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
In your preferred network type, what is the setting you have selected? Settings > Mobile networks > preferred network types.

That doesn't help at all. It only says which you prefer. It won't stop it from switching between H and H+. They are both considered 3G as far as I'm aware. Besides, you can't force it to stay on 4G through that method anyway.

(It's set to 4G atm btw)

Cyngn Ray

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
If LTE is spotty, it's going to switch. I think we have a disconnect here. In the settings screen I mentioned, you can select which mode you want the device in. Of course, if there isn't signal that won't be available. I feel like I am misunderstanding you however.

Pyrosiege

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The signal strength between H (HSPA) and H+ (HSPA+) usually is the same. They are both considered 3G under that network menu.

On an older version of cyanogenmod it showed it more specifically. And the options essentially would only block out newer technology. So you could say, i don't want it to connect to LTE, but it will connect to 3G and 2G. Or you could select only 2G.

I want it to give me H+ or DC(dual carrier) or LTE only and as far as i can see. There is no way to do that.

This is why i was asking if there is any way to prevent it from degrading.

I understand from other posts I've read that android does that to save battery life because HSPA and UMPS use much less battery than HSPA+ and LTE.

I want to know if there is some kind of override when i need the internet to be stable.

I hope that helps to clarify.

Cyngn Ray

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Not that I know of in CM itself. I will try to run it by some people who are more knowledgeable than myself in this area.