Lightweight Linux for an old Asus laptop

kurtgn

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
What's the lightest linux version to run on an old Laptop? As for use cases, I won't need much more than an email agent and a Python console. I'm thinking Elementary OS. Am I thinking in the right direction?

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Damn Small is a great Linux, but it hasn't been updated on in quite a while, which is why I recommend Puppy.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So just what are the specs for this old laptop?
Depending its capabilities, instead of focusing on 'lightweight' I'm going to suggest you instead opt for a distro that's more 'functional'. A solid, tried-and-true distro like Debian running a window manager like Fluxbox will give you a stable OS with a much more complete feature set while requiring a lot of system resources. If you're only looking to run a basic email client and a Python console, a fully functional networking/protocol stack running in the background is going to be a benefit. If you'll be in a situation where you need your laptop to also be doing anything like running a Samba or NFS server, you'll find it easier than using on of those smaller, lightweight distros.

tpjoynt

Mar 9, 2019
Visit site
One main variable is what UI environment the distro uses. GNOME and KDE are the two most popular, but also the most resource heavy.

LXDE or XFCE are designed to use less resources, so it may help looking for distros that contain those. Ubuntu has Lubuntu and Xubuntu, respectively.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
What's the lightest linux version to run on an old Laptop? As for use cases, I won't need much more than an email agent and a Python console. I'm thinking Elementary OS. Am I thinking in the right direction?

It's going to really depend on the specs of the laptop, but Elementary has become a favorite of mine.

R6rlRNDXRX6kEJu96Oj4FA.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38