Lenovo Tab3 8 memory usage

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lenovo Tab3 8 with 1gb ram and 16gb storage, running Android 6. It's SOOO slow, apps can take a full minute to load, and even search results can take 30 seconds to appear. I looked at the memory stats, and it says the average usage over 3 hours is 187mb, Total is 0.90gb, and the average memory usage is 20%. Sounds good, except Available is 0.00%. Not sure how average usage is 20% but still have 0% remaining. And this has been consistent over several days of varying usage.

I also checked storage, but it's reporting 9.8gb used out of 16gb total, so it shows a lot of storage free.

This table may just be a dog and I need to get another one, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any other ideas. I don't really have a lot of unnecessary apps running, and I have disabled animations.

Steve

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. When I try to boot into safe mode, it gives me 9 rows of 4 kanji characters in the upper left corner. Hmmm, something is amiss here for sure. I guess I need to contact Lenovo.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds more like the bootloader. You're not pressing holding Power and Vol Down at the same time, are you?

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Oops, yes I was. And I didn't notice it since the bootloader is in kanji not western characters. Anyway, I got it to safe mode, It now shows 25% average memory used, and still 0 free of 0.9gb ram. As far as app loading, most apps are nearly twice as fast in Safe mode as in normal mode, but still kinda slow.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's normal for an Android device to keep RAM mostly full -- that's how the OS works. Since it works faster in Safe Mode, something you installed is probably causing things to slow down. Do you have any antivirus apps or "RAM booster" apps installed? Those can often slow things down.