Sandisk Extreme Pro & Ultra SDHC speed test

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought a new Fujitsu Q550 62gb 10.1" tablet running full Windows 7 Pro operating system. This thing has every major outlet port, such as a full size SD card reader, full size USB outlet, full size HDMI outlet. Bought this at Fry's Electronics store for a whopping $850 plus tax.

I went shopping for a the largest and fastest SDHC memory card I could find at the local stores nearby me. First I bought a 32GB Sandisk Ultra SDHC card rated at 15 MB/s speed. I bought this card at a Best Buy store for $84.99.

Not satisfied, I then went to Central Computers store, and bought a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 card rated at 45 MB/s speed. This card costs much more at $149.95.

I did the same test on my Fujitsu tablet for both Sandisk cards, whereby I copied and played a 1.87GB Mpeg-4 burned video of Star Wars-A New Hope from the tablet hard drive onto the memory cards, and here are my results for both reading and writing below.

Sandisk Ultra SDHC (rated at 15 MB/s) speed results:
1) It took approx 15 minutes to copy the entire 1.87GB video from the hard drive to the memory card.
2) It took approx 9 seconds for the video to fully boot up and start playing from the memory card upon double-clicking the video icon.

Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC (rated at 45 MB/s) speed results:
1) It took approx 14 minutes to copy the entire 1.87 GB video from the hard drive to the memory card.
2) It took approx 8 seconds for the video to fully boot up and start playing from the memory card upon double-clicking the video icon.

So what does the above results mean?

It means that with the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC card, I saved approx 1 minute (60 seconds) in having to wait for the video to finish copying from the tablet to the memory card. It also means I saved nearly a whole whopping 1 second for the video to boot up from the memory card and start playing. This also means I paid nearly double the price for this Extreme Pro card over the Ultra card to get this little bit of extra speed. Is it worth it??? That's the big question.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this experience with all the fellow geeks out there! :) My next move is to go back to Best Buy to refund the Ultra card. No use having 2 memory cards!