iPad or Android Tablet

karl1coleman

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
This is probably a loaded question here. My family is starting to want an iPad. I'm as anti-Apple as they come. I've tried using my wife's iPhone, and for the life of me I don't understand how anyone who has used both could think iOS is better, but anyway I'm talking tablets here where iPad is the clear leader. My main concern are the apps. It's been a year or so since they started coming out. Are apps starting to catch up with the iPad? I've heard some predict that this year Android could make some real inroads into the iPad's market share. I really hope so. iPad is already becoming a genericized brand, like Kleenex or Jell-O. A family member got a tablet, she said iPad, and I asked her if it was an iPad or some other brand, and she said No it's an iPad. Well, when she showed it to me it was a 7" Samsung tablet.

Anyway, my point is, I'm curious about the app situation these days compared to the iPad.

Thanks.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Here is the deal with app stores. I dont pay ANY attention to the sheer number of apps in ether the app store or the android marketplace. When you can find 20 apps that all make farting noises, you just lost credibility on sheer numbers alone.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

karl1coleman

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Still nothing???

Here's what I'm talking about. I just read this from an otherwise glowing review of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

"Google still has a ways to go on apps for Android – there are only a few dozen that are seriously worth downloading, compared to thousands of worthy iOS apps."

That was written back in June. My question still is, has that changed in the last 6-7 months?

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I wouldnt hold you breath for a legitmate response because the bottom line, is there isnt one.

The iPad has more apps, and often better done apps. All of the core apps are there but for the average none techie or someone who already uses iOS, Android just isnt going to cut it.

I like Android and i use the hell out of tablet, like typing this response, but i am on the more nerdy side and unlike the average Android user, i have bought too many apps to switch over so easily.

The one thing i can argue about is the price. For 500, an iPad is a steep price. kindle fire at 200 or the new 7in asus one announced at ces are much cheaper alternatives. The transformer, thrive, or Acer Iconia, htc flyer kindle fire all really quality tablets much cheaper then 500

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Let's be honest for a minute. Put the hatered aside and be rational.

When it comes to apps, iOS has Android beat. It's not sheer number alone, but also variety.

When it comes to games, iOS beats Android by a landslide.

I do believe Android will catch up one day soon. But as it stands today, I'd pick an iPad over any Android tablet. And I previously had a Motorola Xoom.

For me, it comes down to this. Try it for yourself. Only then will you know.

My phone is a Galaxy Nexus. My desktop is Windows, and my tablet iPad.

Despite this, I'm happily synced and loving each OS. They're all good in their own way.

Last edited:

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Glad I saw this thread.............
For starters I bought a Sammy 7"
Then upgraded to the 10.1"
U know what grates me....
Is now they a re making games for tegra 3 only I say total BS
I think I will be switching to an ipad3 at least apple doesn't
do that with their 1yr old tabs. I will be keeping my android phone but probably
switch to an ipad....

Peaches36

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I would have to agree apples apps are much better and Android has to many apps that are made by anyone that buys a book on how to make an app. It seems that Google doesn't regulate the apps that are in the market. I have downloaded apps that have malware, and to many ads, and or try to get me to download apps that directs me where to go to on my tablet. There is still plenty of applications that are not compatible with tablets and who knows when that will change. If I didn't invest in my thrive I would consider going to apple although it doesn't have adobe flash... By the way does anyone know that Android apps are more expensive?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The sole reason to choose an iPad over any android tablet is the apps. To put it bluntly, android tablet apps suck, and there's no guarantee they'll get better any time soon. There are a ton of tablet only or tablet optimized apps for the iPad, and the difference is really noticeable. Google's idea of an android tablet app (and the direction they're pushing developers) is to just have stretched out phone apps, which look horrible when you're talking about a 10 inch screen.

Put it simply: you can do pretty much anything you can think of with an iPad and its apps. Android tablets, not so much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I have every app I want on my Xoom and they work well and are of good quality. No complaints here.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The sole reason to choose an iPad over any android tablet is the apps. To put it bluntly, android tablet apps suck, and there's no guarantee they'll get better any time soon. There are a ton of tablet only or tablet optimized apps for the iPad, and the difference is really noticeable. Google's idea of an android tablet app (and the direction they're pushing developers) is to just have stretched out phone apps, which look horrible when you're talking about a 10 inch screen.

Put it simply: you can do pretty much anything you can think of with an iPad and its apps. Android tablets, not so much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

After looking at an ipad I would have to agree. I will be getting the ipad3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa