LG G Stylo GPS loses fix above 36° C

TexasLG

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've searched and found posts here and other places from people with intermittent GPS problems on the LG G Stylo.

Through trial and error I found it happens shortly after the battery temp reaches 36 C. When it cools, GPS gets a fix again. It happens so regularly that I'm guessing it's a setting somewhere internal, cutting off the GPS when it's warm enough.

Anyone have any insight or workaround to set the cut-off temp higher so I can use my GPS?

This is happening in cool weather, so a Texas summer might keep me from using this phone at all!

Kent Krive

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
In my experience, thermal issues are usually mechanical, at a micro or macro level. I started having problems below about 58 F. Flexing my case usually cures the problem. The GPS/NFC antenna is on the back cover, so that makes sense. Also, check this thread for info on the antenna contacts: forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/gps-constantly-signal-t3256710

PchiodaNdfw

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I've searched and found posts here and other places from people with intermittent GPS problems on the LG G Stylo.

Through trial and error I found it happens shortly after the battery temp reaches 36 C. When it cools, GPS gets a fix again. It happens so regularly that I'm guessing it's a setting somewhere internal, cutting off the GPS when it's warm enough.

Anyone have any insight or workaround to set the cut-off temp higher so I can use my GPS?

This is happening in cool weather, so a Texas summer might keep me from using this phone at all!

My Stylo has had NON stop GPS issues no matter what I've done. Even trying attaching it to my A/C unit... Still sayes i'm sitting in DFW airport while i'm at home in West Fort Worth!!!! Hoping the Stylo 2 has a working gps....

Pandaman

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the LG Stylo 2 plus and I was looking up if it has any GPS issues.

I have this same problem with a Samsung Galaxy S 3. I would be using Google Maps when after about 10 - 20 minutes, I would hear "gps signal lost", and the screen would become UN-responsive and quite hot. I understand that Google Maps uses a lot of resources these days which is probably why it is overheating the phone.

But when I sat the phone in my cup holder in front of my air conditioner vent, Google Maps had no problems at all. Maps worked perfectly all the time while also streaming internet radio. Blowing cool air on the back of my phone while using it fixed this GPS issue. It's not the ideal fix, especially in the winter time, but it works.