Android Wear 2.0 on Moto yet?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just updated the Android Wear app on my smartphone, but when I checked for updates on my Moto 360 it say I'm current. Anyone get 2.0 installed on their 360 yet?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Not yet on my Gen2. I'm honestly not really looking forward to it. I have my watch and LGV10 dialed in so smooth now with google messenger. I don't want anything to screw all that up. (After Verizon botched up their latest update to their bloatware Message+ app). From what I can tell AW 2.0 doesn't do anything to extend battery life... thats my one and only complaint.

Hopefully they will give us an option.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Not really... I have reverted back to wearing my regular watches.

I am not actively posting in this thread though. My comments are in the main AW 2.0 thread.

$330 device, out-dated and inoperative in one year of owning it. Not happy about that. As far as I am concerned, I am done with android wear. I am looking at fitness bands now for my wrist buzz notifications.

There is a google AW forum thread here for the 360... Same story there as here, problems reported but no answers from google.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/android-wear/m0B7r_d5QBw

Last edited:

skid_

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I think I will give wearable tech a miss for a few years until things get a little better.

Thought Samsung was slow on updates for phones but at least a bit more tech is involved with phone firmware than a watch that needs a phone to work correctly anyway.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I think I will give wearable tech a miss for a few years until things get a little better.

Thought Samsung was slow on updates for phones but at least a bit more tech is involved with phone firmware than a watch that needs a phone to work correctly anyway.

Thats the smartest move IMHO, at the prices they want for these devices. If this is how google and the manufacturers are going to handle OS updates. $250 - $400 is WAY too much for what is essentially an ~18 month throw away.

My thoughts here...

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Update 4/21:

Finally got my moto 360 Gen-2 to work.
-Deleted Android wear from my LG V10
-Re Downloaded AW fresh to phone, installed and tried to set up and pair with watch. (as before with no luck with notifications)
-Factory reset the watch... It will pair and connect over bluetooth, but notifications will not reach the watch.(just as before)
-Leave it in this state for 30~60 minutes, for AW to optimize itself.... I suspect this is a critical step.
-In the Application Manager (on the phone) clear cache and clear data.
-In Android wear (on the phone) turn on all permissions, and Resync apps.
-You may have to clear cache, clear data, Resync apps more than once. I only needed to do it once.

That did it... it may take 30-60 minutes and multiple Resyncs for apps to fully propagate from the phone to the watch, but Bluetooth notifications should return in this time.
I have been running fine for 2 days, and all seems well.

Final note, this just brings back a fully functional AW1.5.xxxxxx with notifications. This does not bring AW 2.0 to the 360.

Note also that this still does not change the views on the overall "value" of this device in its current price range.

Update 4/30:
Turns out the solution I mentioned above was short lived. After ~4 days my blue tooth notifications once again stopped. I have since retired my moto 360. Its just a night stand clock for now.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
5/6/17: Update. I tried again this morning to re-download android wear to my phone, and factory reset my watch and this time around it can't even complete the factory reset. It gets 5-6 minutes into the routine and gets stuck on the "Syncing..." black screen. Now its completely bricked. I can't even terminate the reset and get back to the main time-keeping screen. SO its not even useful as a dumb-watch or desk clock.

So I am nailing the coffin shut on this one. They got my $350, I hope they are fat and happy... because I surely am not.

Android Wear was a nice 11 month run, but I surely will not be re-investing in this ecosystem ever again. ~$350 and obsolete after ~11 months is a complete ripoff. My $$ would have been better spent on a pebble. Say what you want about fitbit, at least they have the common decency not to brick the older deployed devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty