Really Need Your Help: Phone won't connect to pc through MTP & sd card unmounts

A

AC Question

Hello everyone,

I have a big issue with my Moto E 2nd Gen: I formatted my sd card as internal storage.

-Now, I can't access the memory card because it unmounts itself after seconds of being inserted ( btw, phone memory is saturated) I also get this message "please turn off usb storage and try again" even if phone is unplugged.
(data is not corrupted: I can see my files for few seconds)

-When I try to connect my phone to my PC through a usb cable and MTP is on, it's not detected on the PC and the little battery icon on my phone oscilates very fast between charging and uncharging mode. But when I set USB configuration to charging only (in developer menu), my phone is charging correctly (no oscillation)

How can I access my memory card?

Thank you very much for your help :)

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Did you try rebooting? It seems that formatting SD card as internal storage causes such problems, and it is said that rebooting fix some.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Once you format your microSD card as adoptable storage it's no longer a card you can use to transfer files between external sources like your computer. The card's file structure is changed and in a sense it's become a part of your phone. You can remove it physically but as all the warning messages clearly stated you should not do so. You can't see its contents on your PC because it's now encrypted, and in such a way that it only works in conjunction with your phone.

If you need to transfer files back and forth from your phone to your computer you should either use a USB cable or a WiFi transfer app like AirDroid. Or re-format your microSD card back to external storage.

yoenn

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
Did you try rebooting? It seems that formatting SD card as internal storage causes such problems, and it is said that rebooting fix some.

Hey thanks for answering.
I tried to reboot multiple times. I even forced stop External storage & Media manager app and rebooted. After reboot card is visible for 10 seconds (I can see the files) and then it literally says "ejecting" before it disappears.
I think card unmounting problem and my phone not being able to connect to pc by usb problem are linked.

yoenn

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
Once you format your microSD card as adoptable storage it's no longer a card you can use to transfer files between external sources like your computer. The card's file structure is changed and in a sense it's become a part of your phone. You can remove it physically but as all the warning messages clearly stated you should not do so. You can't see its contents on your PC because it's now encrypted, and in such a way that it only works in conjunction with your phone.

If you need to transfer files back and forth from your phone to your computer you should either use a USB cable or a WiFi transfer app like AirDroid. Or re-format your microSD card back to external storage.

Hey, thanks for your reply
The problem is my sd card keeps unmounting after seconds of being inserted (I can see my files but just for seconds). Plus I can't conect my phone to my pc using USB it keeps oscilating between connected & not connected very fast.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey, thanks for your reply
The problem is my sd card keeps unmounting after seconds of being inserted (I can see my files but just for seconds). Plus I can't conect my phone to my pc using USB it keeps oscilating between connected & not connected very fast.

Have you tried using a different USB cable? That could be part of the problem. Also, are you using a USB hub or plugging directly into one of your computer's USB ports. If a hub, is it a powered unit (there's a power adapter plugged into it) or one that just gets its power from the USB port it's plugged into? If it's not a powered hub try plugging your phone directly into your computer's USB port, or get a powered USB hub.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
.... automatic always on cloud backup.... and look into backup services.

Your SD card is tied to THAT phone. Cloning the phone is probably not what you want.

Cloning an SD card?

SD cards fail. I've had better success - won't use word luck - with Samsung.

yoenn

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried using a different USB cable? That could be part of the problem. Also, are you using a USB hub or plugging directly into one of your computer's USB ports. If a hub, is it a powered unit (there's a power adapter plugged into it) or one that just gets its power from the USB port it's plugged into? If it's not a powered hub try plugging your phone directly into your computer's USB port, or get a powered USB hub.

Thank you for your reply,
My old cable was bad.I got a new one and my phone connects now. But same problem with sd card, when I reboot it's visible for few seconds and then it ejects.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply,
My old cable was bad.I got a new one and my phone connects now. But same problem with sd card, when I reboot it's visible for few seconds and then it ejects.
Please clarify about '...visible for a few seconds and then it ejects.' Are you trying to view your microSD card's contents using a file manager app on your phone?

yoenn

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
I tried both file manager app and through Storage & Usb in the settings menu. In this menu, moments after booting and detecting the sd card properly, it says ejecting below memory card name, and then disappears.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non