Moto G First impressions

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Which Einstein in Motorola has thought to have the operator name appear at the notification bar all the time... my operators name takes half the notification bar...

I agree! Fortunately mine in the UK is short name so no issue. If you are happy to root your phone I understand that there is a way to modify or remove carrier name -much too complicated for me but plenty of Android experts on here should be able to help if you wanted to do it. Best of luck

Valtheus

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree! Fortunately mine in the UK is short name so no issue. If you are happy to root your phone I understand that there is a way to modify or remove carrier name -much too complicated for me but plenty of Android experts on here should be able to help if you wanted to do it. Best of luck

Yeah i can do that (root) and get rid of it but i wouldn't want to go that way with Moto G, at least not for now. Hopefully they will realize their mistake and change it for the kitkat update. Actually i am trying to find Moto forums or a feedback page to complain about it.

anon5658834

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what the big deal is with network name at the top doesn't bother me. Anyway I am still getting my launcher crashing every now and again. Seems to happen when I first go into the app drawer after a certain period of inactivity. After which is fine but it seems to be a bug anyone else having their launcher crashing??

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what the big deal is with network name at the top doesn't bother me. Anyway I am still getting my launcher crashing every now and again. Seems to happen when I first go into the app drawer after a certain period of inactivity. After which is fine but it seems to be a bug anyone else having their launcher crashing??

Hey Sean,
Yeah I get the occasional launcher crash, I havent noticed it happening every time I do a particular thing or open a particular app...seems to be random.
I've had my Moto G for over 3 weeks and it's launcher has crashed maybe 4 times, I'm not that concerned about it considering it'll get a Kit Kat update sometime in January.
My black back cover is very slightly scuffed, only visable if you angle it just right in the light, but that aside it's been great...it's a joy to use.

anon5658834

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I find it happens after a period of inactivity and then doesn't happen again for a while like a few hours or so but it has crashed on me several times a day. But now am using a KitKat launcher instead as I am not a fan of the black background behind the app drawer. it is a great little device

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I would side load the "Home" launcher that came with the Nexus 5. It works terrific, no crashing, plus you get Google now on the left.

Yes I find it happens after a period of inactivity and then doesn't happen again for a while like a few hours or so but it has crashed on me several times a day. But now am using a KitKat launcher instead as I am not a fan of the black background behind the app drawer. it is a great little device

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Verge had this report about a pre-release phone they tested:

I actually had a big problem with the first Moto G I used. A manufacturing issue with the processor inside caused the device to run out of memory very quickly, making multitasking impossible. Motorola says it was an issue with pre-retail models, and indeed the retail phone I picked up later doesn’t have the issue.

Motorola tells me it’s scanning all devices coming off the factory line for the issue and that it won’t affect retail units. To date I’ve heard just a single report of a day-one retail device with the problem. I’m confident the company is on top of the issue, but if your device behaves strangely, the processor problem might be the reason.

Maybe nab a RAM-usage widget and keep an eye on it to see if it correlates with the crash?

MotoClive

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely loving this phone it a bit better than the Razr Maxx I replaced this with even though it won't match the battery life of the Maxx.

tech addicted

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Well here is my 2 cents .
I just received my girlfriend new moto G first impression it is well built very nice screen, snappy operation in general,speaker sounds loud clear ,first I got the phone I downloaded Speedtest app and the speed is around 10 mb/sec compare to my moto x with 32mb/sec big different that's explains the slower browser speed, we are using both on T-Mobile network in new York the moto g is a 3G capable device compare to the moto x 4G LTE radio T-Mobile term, some reviews pointing out the browser speed and explaining it with the 1gig ram but the radio has a big effect on it obviously ,
Regardless it is a great device for those who not into browsing the internet often , also takeing the price into consideration.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Well here is my 2 cents .
I just received my girlfriend new moto G first impression it is well built very nice screen, snappy operation in general,speaker sounds loud clear ,first I got the phone I downloaded Speedtest app and the speed is around 10 mb/sec compare to my moto x with 32mb/sec big different that's explains the slower browser speed, we are using both on T-Mobile network in new York the moto g is a 3G capable device compare to the moto x 4G LTE radio T-Mobile term, some reviews pointing out the browser speed and explaining it with the 1gig ram but the radio has a big effect on it obviously ,
Regardless it is a great device for those who not into browsing the internet often , also takeing the price into consideration.

have you tried wi-fi? i always have 1-2 bars of signal in my room but it is still damn fast lol

here in Brazil 3G is crappy and 4G we can only dream of...and also i'm basically always on wi-fi (home, university, bf home, dad's home, open spots) so i rarely use 3G (thank god...it is expensive and horrible lol)

and i can tell you on wi-fi browsing is fast! also i don't use Chrome...too heavy and buggy...been using Dolphin for a week and it's butter smooth XD

still gotta try FF and Opera!

sent from my Moto G <3

tech addicted

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
have you tried wi-fi? i always have 1-2 bars of signal in my room but it is still damn fast lol

here in Brazil 3G is crappy and 4G we can only dream of...and also i'm basically always on wi-fi (home, university, bf home, dad's home, open spots) so i rarely use 3G (thank god...it is expensive and horrible lol)

and i can tell you on wi-fi browsing is fast! also i don't use Chrome...too heavy and buggy...been using Dolphin for a week and it's butter smooth XD

still gotta try FF and Opera!

sent from my Moto G <3

The internet is not so important for her its good enough ,I use opera because they have text wrapping so you don't have to scroll from right to left when you read something, its really cool you should try it.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I love mine I sold my iPhone 5 for it and couldn't be happier the performance is really what shocked me at first I can play all the intensive games even dead trigger 2 on high even though there's a tad bit of stutter and the design doesn't even feel cheap at all

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013

anon5658834

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I am finding on my Motorola G the gap between the screen and frame collects a lot of dust and bits which i find hard to remove. Looks a little ugly

neha09

May 11, 2014
Visit site
can u pls solve my following problems for MOTO G..

1.unable to set personalized ringtone.
2.unable to force WCDMA (everytime i do that it changes to gsm only automatically)
3.I m unable to save my contacts on sim card.By default it is saved to gmail account if m logged in..i dont want that ..pls tell from where i can change the settings to save contacts in sim card or phone only.

thank you ,
Neha singh.

neha09

May 11, 2014
Visit site
can u pls solve my following problems for MOTO G..

1.unable to set personalized ringtone.
2.unable to force WCDMA (everytime i do that it changes to gsm only automatically)
3.I m unable to save my contacts on sim card.By default it is saved to gmail account if m logged in..i dont want that ..pls tell from where i can change the settings to save contacts in sim card or phone only.

thank you ,
Neha singh.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87