Moto G from Galaxy S2 ???

Andy McAdam

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Galaxy S2 running a custom 4.2.2 Rom. Will I see a big improvement in performance or battery life going to a Moto G? I like the idea of the better screen resolution and the screen size is about the same. Is the camera much worse? I don't use my camera for more than simple snapshots, I have a proper camera for taking real photos.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Galaxy S2 running a custom 4.2.2 Rom. Will I see a big improvement in performance or battery life going to a Moto G? I like the idea of the better screen resolution and the screen size is about the same. Is the camera much worse? I don't use my camera for more than simple snapshots, I have a proper camera for taking real photos.
Moto G even beats nexus 4's performance... so from s2 its a big difference

Last edited:

DavidBarnes311

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
What did you decide?

I have an S2 (running Cyanogenmod) and my wife just got a Moto G. I lust after every aspect of her phone: the 2-day battery life, the sharp screen, the snappy responsiveness. The only way this might be a downgrade is the camera, which looks worse -- it doesn't focus well. (I don't mind the lower resolution but good autofocus is essential even for simple and quick snapshots.) However this could be a problem with the camera app rather than the hardware, and I'm going to try to wrestle the phone from her at some point, install a custom app, and find out. When I do I'll post again.

I'm thinking of getting myself a Moto G as well, so if you have upgraded I'd be interested to know how much you're enjoying it.

benbird7

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the s4 it's being repaired by Samsung for the 3rd time with this new Knox rubbish thinking of selling when I get it back. I have an s2 to tide me over until I get it back running sweet with cm10.2 and superb battery life. I'm thinking of selling both and getting the moto g 16gb when I get it back.

Only downside I can see is camera not quite as good and my 64gb micro SD card and spare s2 anker batteries will become useless. Bargain of a phone for the price. I like the slightly bigger screen quad core processor And better ppi.

What do you think users with the moto g? Or do I wait and go the whole hog for the moto x.... Seems quite a lot more dosh though.

Posted via Android Central App

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I came from an S2 to the G and these are my observations starting with the positives.

Battery life is at least 2 times longer now and an absolute joy not to have to think about it. I had an Anker battery in my S2 as well by the way. Screen resolution a bit better and phone generally a bit more responsive but I never found the S2 to be slow particularly. Pure android is a joy compared to having the touchwiz overlay and the mountains of Samsung apps that are of no interest or simply duplicate all Google services. It would have been ok if I could have deleted them but you can't (without root) and some couldn't even be disabled! I like the volume and power buttons on the same side as you are less likely to press it by accident. Notification led is great feature that I love. Newer version of android and hopefully future updates is good too. Price for what you get is excellent.

Negatives are storage is not as good due to no SD card slot and I would have paid extra to have a 32gb model. I will cope with 16 but it's tight. Camera not as good but not finding the quality to be as bad as some say would prefer the shutter button on the S2 though but I haven't taken lots of photos yet. S2 quite a bit lighter and thinner but not a biggie. Changeable battery like on S2 would have been nice but again not a major problem because you charge it half as much.

That's about as much as I can think of for now. Hope it helps someone. If the S2 is a 7 out of 10 then the G is a 9.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Caz42

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Camera not as good but not finding the quality to be as bad as some say would prefer the shutter button on the S2 though but I haven't taken lots of photos yet.

Do you happen to know a quicker way of viewing the photo you have just taken (without having to come out of camera and going to your gallery)?

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you happen to know a quicker way of viewing the photo you have just taken (without having to come out of camera and going to your gallery)?

When you are in the camera you can swipe from right to left to be taken to your photos (as opposed to left to right to control camera settings) and pressing the back button then takes you back to camera when you have finished. Hope that is what you were looking for.

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That's about as much as I can think of for now. Hope it helps someone. If the S2 is a 7 out of 10 then the G is a 9.

Oh yes I forgot about the much better GPS in the G. My S2 sometimes took a while to get a GPS lock and sometimes the only way to do so was to ensure that both WiFi and mobile data were on before attempting to get a GPS lock. I assume this "narrowed down" my location to help get a fix on where I was. On the G it happens almost immediately even when I'm indoors!

I did 2 one hour car journeys yesterday with music playing via Bluetooth to my car stereo from my G and also using my G as a sat nav (Google maps for one journey and copilot for the other) so GPS and mobile data on and screen on all the journey time. I had only charged it at the beginning of the previous day so it had already had over 24 hours battery use and didn't use my car charger whilst using the sat navs and only charged the battery overnight last night as it lasts so long...doing that on my S2 would have been impossible.

benbird7

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I came from an S2 to the G and these are my observations starting with the positives.

Battery life is at least 2 times longer now and an absolute joy not to have to think about it. I had an Anker battery in my S2 as well by the way. Screen resolution a bit better and phone generally a bit more responsive but I never found the S2 to be slow particularly. Pure android is a joy compared to having the touchwiz overlay and the mountains of Samsung apps that are of no interest or simply duplicate all Google services. It would have been ok if I could have deleted them but you can't (without root) and some couldn't even be disabled! I like the volume and power buttons on the same side as you are less likely to press it by accident. Notification led is great feature that I love. Newer version of android and hopefully future updates is good too. Price for what you get is excellent.

Negatives are storage is not as good due to no SD card slot and I would have paid extra to have a 32gb model. I will cope with 16 but it's tight. Camera not as good but not finding the quality to be as bad as some say would prefer the shutter button on the S2 though but I haven't taken lots of photos yet. S2 quite a bit lighter and thinner but not a biggie. Changeable battery like on S2 would have been nice but again not a major problem because you charge it half as much.

I've got vanilla Google running on the s2 so I've no touch whizz thankfully to put up with. I've just gone in tesco and held my s2 against the moto g. S2 is sleeker. I also have 80gb of storage on s2 compared to that of the moto g which will only have 16.

Battery life on my s2 is running well and Google camera working really well. It would mainly be exchanging storage and changing batteries and camera for a better resolution screen I'm going to have to give this more thought. It's either that or put up with the s4 when I get it back knowing I can't root without affecting Knox and all that rubbish.

I think for the cost I agree with the reviews the moto g is a superb device bang for the Buck but just warranting for myself if it's worth changing the s2 for it. If I sell the s4 I should get about 250 on eBay.

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've got vanilla Google running on the s2 so I've no touch whizz thankfully to put up with. I've just gone in tesco and held my s2 against the moto g. S2 is sleeker. I also have 80gb of storage on s2 compared to that of the moto g which will only have 16.

Battery life on my s2 is running well and Google camera working really well. It would mainly be exchanging storage and changing batteries and camera for a better resolution screen I'm going to have to give this more thought. It's either that or put up with the s4 when I get it back knowing I can't root without affecting Knox and all that rubbish.

I think for the cost I agree with the reviews the moto g is a superb device bang for the Buck but just warranting for myself if it's worth changing the s2 for it. If I sell the s4 I should get about 250 on eBay.

Vanilla Android on the S2 would make quite a difference to the decision I have to admit. Especially if that also means your battery life is ok. The lack of storage is my biggest problem with the G as I have to juggle my music collection to cope. Going from 80gb to 16gb (12gb in reality as 4 is taken up) will be tricky.

benbird7

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Vanilla Android on the S2 would make quite a difference to the decision I have to admit. Especially if that also means your battery life is ok. The lack of storage is my biggest problem with the G as I have to juggle my music collection to cope. Going from 80gb to 16gb (12gb in reality as 4 is taken up) will be tricky.

Thanks for you're comments Paul much appreciated. If I was getting a new smart phone If it had micro SD support and a 8mp camera it would be a no brainer moto g. :) a lot of the review sites for the money you cant beat.

Although for ?100 is a second s2 cheaper if you put vanilla Google rom on it and with the spare money buy a 32gb card for ?16?

All depends on an individuals needs I suppose.

All the best - Ben

vipul311

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. It's been a month since the last post here.
Today my dad got a moto g. And he has offered me the device for my 16gb s2.
I'm totally confused whether i should take it or leave it.
Any further suggestions apart from what already has been mentioned?

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. It's been a month since the last post here.
Today my dad got a moto g. And he has offered me the device for my 16gb s2.
I'm totally confused whether i should take it or leave it.
Any further suggestions apart from what already has been mentioned?

Well, since i got it, I would totally choose it over a S2 and S3 :) loving this little thing

AniKhan

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I own a 16gb and I'm on tmobiles unlimited plan. All my music is on Google music. So on unlimited data and wifi I'm good and with Google drive and drop box I save my photos on there so out of 16gb I still have 8gb left. Battery life is much better and camera is decent though if I can find a better camera app than stock would be nice.