Data Usage figures jumping when not in use

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Last night using the G to tether for netflix, laptop and TV and over the course of the evening when I checked data usage each hour, it was going up slowly. Stared at 4.51gb and by bedtime was at 5.32gb. I turned off the tethering before going to bed but left the phone sleeping, wifi was also off.

This morning I checked the Data Usage and it is at 6.43gb !! It's not a problem as I have unlimited data, but I'd like to know what's happening in case I go to a limited data plan to save some bucks.

Did we have a burglar who's only crime was to watch movies on my phone?

Tonight I will turn off the phone and see what's what tomorrow morning.

Thoughts?

Thanks

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure who your carrier is, but if I use my carrier's app to check usage (voice, data, or messaging) it has a disclaimer that usage over the last 12 hours may not be indicated in my usage. I haven't double checked it against the built-in data tracker (I tend to flash a lot or ROMs so it often gets reset). Something to consider anyway. If you were checking it with the built-in data tracker then I don't know - hopefully someone else can help you

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks DB, but I figured it out last night. The night before, I was using the swap apps icon on the lower right of the screen and jumping between the already open Settings Data Usage and Netflix. The usage figures there were changing slightly but not as big jump as the overnight figure.

Last night I decided to directly go from the Settings and Netflix icons on the lock-screen. It seems that the real data is only updated when I go through the Settings process. "Settings, Data Usage" and not when I swap back and forth.

The weird bit is that figures did/do change when swapping back and forth with the running Data Usage, but they obviously do not reveal the real figures until I go through the full process.

All a bit weird, but mystery solved.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member