I have attempted to search this but always come up a little short. I trying to understand the filing system Android uses. I have a Moto G (2015) running Marshmallow with an 16 gig external memory card set to portable.

I use ES Explorer to view the filing structure. Using the tree I select the "/ device" option. I see several folders and files. One is "sdcard". I understand this is not the memory card, but seems exactly like the "storage emulated 0" folder listed in the tree's "0" option. It does not however appear to be the same folder as listed in the "/device/storage/emulated" folder. What' up with that?
    I also think the external memory card is located in "Device/storage" Is that true?

I am really having a time wrapping my head around this. Thanks for any help.
    01-26-2016 09:28 AM
    Maybe this will help.
    internal storage - Confused by the many locations of the virtual /sdcard/ - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

And your external micro sdcard should be under /storage/"name of sdcard".
    Crashdamage likes this.
    01-27-2016 07:55 AM
    Thanks.
    That does help a little bit.

With ES explorer:
    When I open "Device /", I see a lot of folders and such.
    When I open "Device / storage", I see three folders, One seems to the external memory card, emulated, and self.
    When I open "device / storage / emulated", it is empty.

From the ES explorer tree if I select the 0 option, it appears to open "Device/ storage / emulated / 0", that includes what appears to be a bunch of folders.

In the first scenerio, the emulated folder is empty.
    In the second scenario, the emulated folder has a folder labeled (0).
    Why is that?

Also when I select the 0 from the ES explore option, then, back up one level to "emulated" the folder appears to empty.
    Why is that?
    Thanks again.
    01-27-2016 01:16 PM
    when set to portable storage, you should "see" the content of the SD card without issues. Internal storage is another question and there's a solution in the forum (look up "external media" and "media" data and cache clear).
    01-29-2016 06:03 AM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, The portable storage seems a little more straight foreword, after you discover it, at least.
    01-30-2016 06:30 AM