Camera problems

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I used the Moto G4 Plus camera outdoors and after extended constant usage in direct sunlight on a hot day, it starts to lag and sometimes won't even take a picture in 15-30 seconds, and sometimes it won't take a picture at all. I tried to force close and it still won't take pictures. Tried to restart the phone and it didn't work. I let it cool down for a fee minutes and it works again like normal.

I have also had issue of the camera app closing on its own.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll give this a test tomorrow as well and report back. Aside from the heat and taking photos, is anything running in the background (e.g. music, downloading, etc.)? Not that this makes it OK, but I want to see if I can get the same problem to occur.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll give this a test tomorrow as well and report back. Aside from the heat and taking photos, is anything running in the background (e.g. music, downloading, etc.)? Not that this makes it OK, but I want to see if I can get the same problem to occur.
Not that I am aware of.

RoccoH

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I used the Moto G4 Plus camera outdoors and after extended constant usage in direct sunlight on a hot day...
What do you consider an extended period? 5 minutes? One hour? Just wondering because from my perspective, an extended period of camera use would be anything more than two minutes...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't get the slowdown when at the park last night but I do feel some heat near the power button when using the camera a lot.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What do you consider an extended period? 5 minutes? One hour? Just wondering because from my perspective, an extended period of camera use would be anything more than two minutes...
Probably 15-20 minutes. It was progressively getting worse the longer I used it. At first it would just seem to focus very slowly

RoccoH

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Probably 15-20 minutes. It was progressively getting worse the longer I used it. At first it would just seem to focus very slowly
OK so this "issue" is a totally hypothetical situation then for me :)

But not good in any way, let's just hope it is a software issue and soon to be solved with an update.

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I used the Moto G4 Plus camera outdoors and after extended constant usage in direct sunlight on a hot day, it starts to lag and sometimes won't even take a picture in 15-30 seconds, and sometimes it won't take a picture at all. I tried to force close and it still won't take pictures. Tried to restart the phone and it didn't work. I let it cool down for a fee minutes and it works again like normal.

I have also had issue of the camera app closing on its own.

same here - I was trying to shoot video on a hot day, and the phone just basically locked up in the camera app, frames stuttering and I could not get out - sure wish there were a removable battery!

I do have a case on, and maybe that contributes- but no reason this phone should heat up like this.

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
mine heated up during testing the video camcorder out at a recent concert. got damn near 110 degrees. That can't be good for battery life. I'm not much of a picture/video taker though, but still.
From what I've gathered Motorola is aware of the issue and even pushed an ota update for their customers in India. There's some that say the ota update fixed it and others that say it hasn't fixed the issue. Maybe nougat update will get everything smooth and cool, but I don't know... not sure how that stuff works.

RoccoH

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
yesterday my Moto Camera app was updated to version 6.0.43.10 dated 26 August 2016. Hoping the bug fixes will resolve the heating issue :)

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
yesterday my Moto Camera app was updated to version 6.0.43.10 dated 26 August 2016. Hoping the bug fixes will resolve the heating issue :)

Yeah I got that update too, I didn't even think at the time that maybe it'll have a fix for the camera heat issue. Hopefully it does. I haven't tested it myself yet. Next time I use the video camera I'll pay attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty