Should I buy the old or now one?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
yup exactly. The newest model of MOTO G. Tonight, i am going to play music continuously and I think just playing music can answer you well by tomorrow. Even continous instant Messaging also proves it. As the both old and new MOTO G are with same battery but the "Size" "Camera" "SD slot" are new features added.
Kind of curious as to whether you've got an impression, yet. According to a chart published by The Verge, the new "G" loses about 28% runtime as compared to the original "G". I'm hoping against hope they got it wrong.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
You get a slightly larger screen which I think make a big difference in enjoyment and easier to type, my big issue with the original Moto G and X was the keyboard keys were a tad small. And at the same time I think 5" is the perfect size and what I wish the new Moto X would had been..

Yeah, I actually prefer a 5" phone, just not in this particular case. I'm not going to be typing much of anything on it :)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Depends on your needs. If you like a smaller screen then the Moto G LTE might be what you want. However it only comes in a 8gig flavor currently. SD card could be used. For the avg user this still works out fine though.

fdalbor

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Only problem is you are very limited as to what you can put on the SD card. None of the preinstalled software is allowed to be moved to the SD card. I downloaded 30 apps and only 16 could be installed on the card. You can put music, photos, and videos on the card however. On my Nokia 820 it allowed everything except two apps to moved or installed to the SD card. Sure wish Google would update SD support to allow better use of SD cards.

Posted via the Android Central App

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
> Sure wish Google would update SD support to allow better use of SD cards.

This is NOT going to happen! Google doesn't want phones to have removable memory at all as it greatly complicates the use of the operating system - especially from the security perspective. They made a huge change in kitkat to add new security features so that applications can only access files in a directory that they own.

If goggle has anything to do with it, and they do, phones will not have memory cards for much longer. You'll notice that the Google Nexus phones, while they have many high-end features, have no memory cards. Some companies like Motorola have tried to preserve the functionality, but as you've seen, it's of very limited usefulness because few programs can be moved to the sdcard.

Last edited:

fdalbor

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Tell that to Samsung, they are going to have a hard time making them not install SD slots on their phones. With the recent turn to having only 4gb of memory on the low end phones Google may be backing themselves into a corner they don't want to be in. The new Windows 8.1 system allows just about every thing to be installed to the SF card. Can't see them letting Microsoft get an advantage on the low end phones as that is where all the growth is.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stephen Spackman

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the 8GB Moto G 2013 and I've got about 2GB left. I'd be using the SD card for music and pictures only.

I have all the apps i need on my Moto G, so 8GB is plenty. I have a 32GB iPod Touch 5 and 16GB Nexus 7 2013 that handles everything else.

Posted via Android Central App

acwe

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
If you are a light to medium user I would say the 2014 Moto G is fine. There is over 4Gb available to add apps to and an SD card can hold the rest of your photos/ music etc. The phone is very easy to use. The 5" screen looks great and is excellent for reading text, pics look fantastic, The battery life as great. The stereo sound is great. For a cheap smart phone it more than excels at what I need a phone for.

If you are a heavy user who wants to download every app available and spend hours playing games, while surfing the net and on the phone, i'd suggest a Galaxy s5 or Lg g3 or Iphone 6 etc

Sorry i haven't owned a 2013 Moto G so I cant compare it to that.

P.s. The iphone 5s looks like a little toy next to the New Moto G.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the 8GB Moto G 2013 and I've got about 2GB left. I'd be using the SD card for music and pictures only.

I have all the apps i need on my Moto G, so 8GB is plenty. I have a 32GB iPod Touch 5 and 16GB Nexus 7 2013 that handles everything else.

Posted via Android Central App
You can move apps to the SDcard with the new Moto G, as long as the app developer allows it, some don't, but the majority does.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
FWIW: I decided on the 2013 G LTE. It's only been 2-1/2 days, so far, but so far I'm feeling I made the right decision. The ergos on this thing are terrific.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
You can get the SD card slot with a Moto G LTE, which is the original Moto G with LTE added. In tests in the reviews I read, it gets the same or better runtime as the original "G".

Hey Stone, do you know if I can use an SD card with the older (2013) Moto G? I took my back cover off and I can see dual spots for SD cards, but they have no openings. There's something that looks like a cover, but I'm not going to try to take them off unless I know for sure.

I'm quite happy with my older Moto G so I'm going to stick with that for a while. Occasionally I have issues like dropped calls or people can't hear me talking, but it doesn't happen that often and it could just be because I'm on Boost. Otherwise I love this phone :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa