Trying to get started with Moto G4 and USB connection

Tom Bl

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm now trying to get started with a new Moto G4 "Play" and USB connection to my Windows 7 computer. I have downloaded and installed a Motorola Device Manager 2.5.4.exe. Plugging in the USB connection to the phone does not result in any listing on Windows Explorer. "MotoHelper Agent" is listed as "show icon and notifications" but there is a bubble that says "This notification icon is not currently active." There is nothing about a USB connection under "Storage & USB" on the phone's screen.

The connection is needed to upload ringtones, wallpapers, etc. and to download photos. Help is needed because I can not find instructions on this. Thanks.

Tom Bl

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
> Go to Motorola - Mac & Windows Drivers, download the proper driver and install it on the PC.

Done. "Motorola Device Manager" is listed on the Windows 7 Start menu. Selecting it results in the message "Checking for new device software" then "There are no updates for your Device at this time. Current version N/A"

> Then pull down the Notification bar on the phone and choose MTP.

There is no "MTP" there.

Last edited:

Tom Bl

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
Apparently the cable I started with is for charging only (these cables are not marked as to which is 'charging only' and which handle data.) I found another cable that results in a response from the Windows 7 PC (Its packaging, not the cable itself, says "Charge devices and Sync data simultaneously.") Now the Computer folder shows "Mobile Devices." Selecting it shows it's empty. Selecting "Motorola Device Manager" in the start menu results in a message about checking for new device software, then "There are no updates." It does say the current version is 24.171.1.harpia.retail.en.US" instead of the "N/A" shown before. I'm still not seeing anything different on the Notification bar on the phone, such as "MTP."

What can I do from here to upload ringtone files from the computer to the phone, as well as other common files for graphics, etc. ?

OctavianCroitoru

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
What can I do from here to upload ringtone files from the computer to the phone, as well as other common files for graphics, etc. ?

On your Moto G4 Play pull down the Notification bar. You will see "USB for charging Touch for more options". Tap to choose more options and select the second one - "Transfer files (MTP)". More detailed guide you can find here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty