Visit site
QxXEjGP.jpg

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
3 different Moto G models.Should it be safe to say that Motorola..no i mean Lenovo has lost it ?

Did they lose it last year when there were three Moto X models (Play, Style, Force)?

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Did they lose it last year when there were three Moto X models (Play, Style, Force)?

They were at different price points. All these new G4 models are squished between a very narrow price band.
And Moto G4 Play is basically Moto G3.Using outdated Snapdragon 410 chipset and selling as a new phone. Snapdragon 410 was announced way back in December 2013.Thats very outdated chipset with weak Adreno 306 gpu.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm more puzzled by what appears to be some backwards moves, perhaps for cost savings? I'm ready for a move up and have stuck with Moto phones for the quality radios, and I like the hands free operation, quick flip camera, and all.

But the Droid Turbo 2 has a shatterproof screen, and more water resistant...which makes it appealing. But my wife's battery life is horrible compared to my Droid Maxx I think it is. The names are all running together. But I can get 2-3 days...she's getting one long day. . .

Which way do I go? Which way do I go?

Huh. Decision might be getting made for me...getting the impression that these won't be Verizon phones.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
nevermind, went to motorola.com. will this be availible on verizon?

Promo materials say they can be used on Verizon but likely won't be available from Verizon though there is one model of the Moto G Play that could possibly be a prepaid variant.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm more puzzled by what appears to be some backwards moves, perhaps for cost savings?
All indications, so far, seem to point to them cheapening the product line: Yes.

My wife's G3 feels every bit as solid as my G1. If Lenovo/Motorola/Motorola Mobility/what-have-you hadn't cheaped-out on getting that phone certified for VoLTE on TMO's network I would have bought one, by now.

As it is: I think I'm going to wait it out with my G1 and see what the Nexus line brings. (I'm not much impressed with current Nexus devices, either.)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All indications, so far, seem to point to them cheapening the product line: Yes.

My wife's G3 feels every bit as solid as my G1. If Lenovo/Motorola/Motorola Mobility/what-have-you hadn't cheaped-out on getting that phone certified for VoLTE on TMO's network I would have bought one, by now.

As it is: I think I'm going to wait it out with my G1 and see what the Nexus line brings. (I'm not much impressed with current Nexus devices, either.)

T-Mobile should make VoLTE certification easy.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile should make VoLTE certification easy.
Indeed.
Particularly since...

Here's how T-Mobile presents their coverage:

TMO_Michigan_Extended_Coverage.png

Their site no longer gives the option of showing their coverage without their "Extended LTE" network. No need to wonder why. Here's what Sensorly reports for T-Mobile 2G/3G coverage in the same area:

TMO_Michigan_2G-3G_Coverage.png

Quite a difference, no? That's the coverage my wife and I, for example, would get. Now one could argue that, my phone being now three years old: It's on me. But my wife's six month old phone that was originally listed to include Band 12?

To be fair: I only have Lenovo/Motorola/whatever's claim that TMO's VoLTE certification process is painstaking and expensive. For all I know: They're simply being cheapskates. Or trying to persuade customers to move up to the more expensive X.

Bonovox72

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Okay,I got a new Moto G4(not plus model) 16 gig 2 gig version for £159 from Argos UK yesterday. What a great improvement on the Moto G3!! I was so surprised to see(after changing animations speed in Developer Options) how fast & smooth this phone is!! First of all the screen is much better this time around,better colours,contrast & brightness over the dull drab Moto G3 of last year. The 1080p & bigger size is a lovely welcome too!! Build quality is very good although I had to swap my first one due to the back cover was ill fitting at the top right corner,it would not click down. New one is fine. Camera is great,clear and pretty fast & I love the new camera app too a much needed overhaul. Performance wise as I said I am shocked how much better it is over G3 and Moto X of last year,no lag at all on mine really pleased. Now for battery life,which is fantastic. I have come home from work with 74% battery left on this phone and for a heavy user that's great for me. I am really pleased with the battery life and overall performance of this handset!! Go buy oneIMG_20160629_120717587_HDR.jpg

Here is one image in the rain today still clear on a dull day HDR