G5 dual SIM version - problem and questions

greg_atlanta

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had this phone since Sept 2018, I bought the dual SIM version since I get a local SIM card on trips sometimes and was tired of carrying two phones.

Prior phone was 1st gen Moto X, liked it so much I bought it twice.

Phone has been mostly OK but a few gripes lately, and it's really slowed down.

1) From day one if I'm streaming music (like Spotify or NPR one) and launch the camera, it usually (not always) kills the music app. It doesn't just pause, the app has to be relaunched. has this happened to anyone else?

2) Just in the past week the power/sleep button on the right is unresponsive at least half the time.I can't wake the phone or turn off the screen using this button. i can wake the phone using fingerprint sensor but I can't lock the screen manually, I have to let it timeout (had to set timeout to 15 seconds). I don't use a phone lock, if that matters.

3) Phone has really slowed down lately, apps like Instagram and Snapchat just hang sometimes. May delete Snapchat, don't use it much.

4) I formatted the memory card for internal instead of external storage. I read on another thread this may have been a bad idea. I'm mostly concerned about photo storage, don't have a lot of apps or music. External card is 64GB so plenty of space (phone is 32 GB). If I use the "format as portable" option in the Memory menu will this set it back to portable storage? Any risks with that?

I just figured out how to sync with windows laptop (had to change USB mode on phone) so I'm planning to backup the hard copies of photos just in case I need to do a hard reboot (I do have auto backup to google photos). Do you think I'm going to need to do a hard reboot to fix the power button and the slowness? I am not a phone freak, pretty moderate use.

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It's more than likely the SD card set as internal storage. There are numerous threads both here and with other devices that point to issues with that setting. Backup your files on your PC, reformat the SD card as external and transfer your files back the card. It should solve your problem. Good luck

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can set the camera to save to the SD card by default. Transferring to and from a computer is the same. Just select SD card

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty