Not charging

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
I plugged it in and it says that it is charging but the number hasn't gotten any higher. It also doesn't get lower. I restarted the phone and nothing changed. I have 10% left and am afraid that I will lose my stuff.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a different charging cable/plug? What happens if you power the phone off and let it charge undisturbed for a few hours?

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Have you tried a different charging cable/plug? What happens if you power the phone off and let it charge undisturbed for a few hours?

The first cable I tried didn't charge at all. I used a different one and it said that it was charging, but then this problem arose. I will try to leave it alone for a couple hours and see what it does.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's also worth making sure the USB port is clear of any debris -- use a can of compressed air to blow it out.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Typically when you plug the phone in when it's off there's an animation (a lightning bolt and then a charging status icon) with the phone off, the animation is constantly restarting. Is that indicative of the manner in which the phone is getting the charge? Does that provide any insight into the issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That makes me think there's a problem with the USB port. I would still check for debris in the port, and also try cleaning the contacts with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.

Try also jiggling the plug in the phone's USB port to see if there's some certain position or pressure that needs to be applied to keep the charging constant.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you've already tried different charging cables/plugs and cleaned out the USB port, then the problem is likely a faulty port.

The Moto G5 was released in March 2017, so it's not 2 months old -- you've only had it for 2 months. Was it new or used/refurbished? Is it possibly still under warranty, or did you purchase an insurance plan with it like SquareTrade?