Instagram App often crash on G5S Plus

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Samsung 64 GB SD card as an internal storage (there are two options, standalone or internal), then when I install instagram, I notice that once in a while, the IG app crash (or unable to load).

I see that the app is automatically installed by Android OS on the SD card instead of the internal storage. I also notice that Whatsapp is installed on internal storage instead of Samsung, LINE is installed on SD card.

So what cause the IG app to crash? Because of the faulty SD card? Software Android problem/bug? Does user have options to install app on SD card or internal card?

Thanks.

jdesignz

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Its app why would you install it on SD card? SDs are use for media and other files only. Installing app on external storage is not recommended.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend you to redefine the SD card as portable storage, following the instructions in your storage settings. Adoptable storage can be glitchy and a bit risky, much better using the SD card only for your media files and such.

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its app why would you install it on SD card? SDs are use for media and other files only. Installing app on external storage is not recommended.

I said it before, the app is automatically installed by Android OS in the SD card instead of media storage... I didn't have an option or choice to pick...

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend you to redefine the SD card as portable storage, following the instructions in your storage settings. Adoptable storage can be glitchy and a bit risky, much better using the SD card only for your media files and such.

so how do I redefine the SD card as a portable storage without resetting the phone? Thanks.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
so how do I redefine the SD card as a portable storage without resetting the phone? Thanks.
I haven't done it myself, but if I remember correctly there should be an option in settings - storage - internal - menu to move/migrate data from the card to the internal storage before formatting as portable. I remember reading about these steps when adoptable storage was introduced with Marshmallow. I can't confirm on my phones, right now I'm not using an SD card.

Search around and, if you decide to go back to portable, make sure you have enough free storage in your phone to save the combined data.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Settings > Storage > sd card > 3 dots on right upper corner > storage settings > format as external ( or something like that). I think apps will get transferred to internal storage automatically during the process. But I suppose it would be better if you can do it yourself before formatting as external storage.