For those who are let down...

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
That's still doesn't change facts. It's the same phone for the same price but worse... So no one on verizon SHOULD buy a X over a new droid unless they have a hard on for wood.

Similarly (but not exactly since they aren't the same phones feature wise) no one should buy an X over a S4 or a HTC One for said network/carrier...

The wood is only one option for the back, and not even available right away.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
That's still doesn't change facts. It's the same phone for the same price but worse... So no one on verizon SHOULD buy a X over a new droid unless they have a hard on for wood.

Similarly (but not exactly since they aren't the same phones feature wise) no one should buy an X over a S4 or a HTC One for said network/carrier...

Again, your going off of on paper specs. Until we see reviews, more videos, and you get to try it out for yourself, I don't think it's far to write the phone off.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The phone was hyped to kingdom come and there is absolutely nothing special about it. The only 2 things Motorola keep emphasizing is 'made in USA' and customized colors, which are such minor features they can be ignored. The phone has no great software or user experience. The wake up commands would be called a gimmick if Samsung did it. It's still a typical locked Motorola device that will get updates much later than any Nexus, is full of bloatware and carrier limitations, and has year old specs.

In other words, its just another weekly Android phone and there really is no point treating it as something special apart from the fact that its from Motorola who are now owned by Google. That fact makes it even more disappointing.

Boomax24

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
The wood is only one option for the back, and not even available right away.

I'm aware... My point was who cares... the X doesn't have 1 redeeming feature that isn't available elsewhere for the same/similar price. The X was "supposed" to be a low priced phone that did everything really well (but perhaps not much amazingly well). The X still might do everything really well but it isn't at a low price. So that being said, unless you're OBSESSED with customization there isn't a reason to get an X for the sole reason (assuming it runs/reviews well) that is was priced horribly...

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The phone was hyped to kingdom come and there is absolutely nothing special about it. The only 2 things Motorola keep emphasizing is 'made in USA' and customized colors, which are such minor features they can be ignored. The phone has no great software or user experience. The wake up commands would be called a gimmick if Samsung did it. It's still a typical locked Motorola device that will get updates much later than any Nexus, is full of bloatware and carrier limitations, and has year old specs.

In other words, its just another weekly Android phone and there really is no point treating it as something special apart from the fact that its from Motorola who are now owned by Google. That fact makes it even more disappointing.

There no way to tell at this moment when the moto X is going to receive updates compared to other phones.

I don't mean for it to sound like I'm defending a phone I haven't even used yet, but Jesus people.

Boomax24

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Again, your going off of on paper specs. Until we see reviews, more videos, and you get to try it out for yourself, I don't think it's far to write the phone off.

The X phone is the same as the Ultra and Max. Moto makes them all. The "differences" are screen size and battery life. If you saw the droid presser it showed every feature the X has. When asked why the droids debuted before the X, moto guys said "I don't know we finished them at the same time".

It is a colossal failure to release a lesser version of the SAME phone at the SAME price and justify that discrepancy with rainbow backplates...

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm aware... My point was who cares... the X doesn't have 1 redeeming feature that isn't available elsewhere for the same/similar price. The X was "supposed" to be a low priced phone that did everything really well (but perhaps not much amazingly well). The X still might do everything really well but it isn't at a low price. So that being said, unless you're OBSESSED with customization there isn't a reason to get an X for the sole reason (assuming it runs/reviews well) that is was priced horribly...

Personally I like the curved back better than the fugly kevlar of the droid also

Boomax24

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
There no way to tell at this moment when the moto X is going to receive updates compared to other phones.

I don't mean for it to sound like I'm defending a phone I haven't even used yet, but Jesus people.
You need to read more. It was already confirmed that updates will be controlled by each carrier. JUST LIKE OTHER PHONES that aren't nexus phones...

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

That is a good point and the success or failure of the phone just might depend on that. The only thing is that I think android phone users are a bit more aware of specs than iPhone users.

Posted via Android Central App

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
You need to read more. It was already confirmed that updates will be controlled by each carrier. JUST LIKE OTHER PHONES that aren't nexus phones...

That's because this isn't a nexus. I don't get where people started thinking that from it was never supposed to be a nexus

Boomax24

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
That's because this isn't a nexus. I don't get where people started thinking that from it was never supposed to be a nexus

Exactly... The nexus 5 is coming sometime "before 2014" I don't understand where the confusion came from, but for non-verizon users the N5 would probably be worth the wait.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Exactly... The nexus 5 is coming sometime "before 2014" I don't understand where the confusion came from, but for non-verizon users the N5 would probably be worth the wait.

Yeah agreed. My family swaps upgrades like mad so even though I have one of my own, my contract isn't up until January 2015. After that, I'll be looking to jump ship to a gsm carrier for some nexus love. My nexus 10 gave me the fever.

Boomax24

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
What's lesser, you mean battery? I also prefer 4.7 screen size to 5 :)

Lesser in terms of: It has smaller storage, smaller screen, smaller battery. Of what I just mentioned I mostly care about the battery/storage. I don't have particularly big hands. And my gripe is not that it has lesser specs, it's that is has lesser specs AT THE SAME PRICE.

Again the comparison is more accurate against the Droids because they're moto phones with the same features. The comparison is less fair (but still valid imo) against the S4 and HTC One

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Every one complains about price. You want to complain go buy a dumb phone a flip phone dam things cost as much with out contract as a smart phone why?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The phone is exactly what I was expecting. Looks good. Wasn't expecting them to use marketing to make up the spec difference between the x and the gs4 and one.

At the end of the day youre paying a premium because this isn't bleeding edge hardware but its priced like it is.... where is that premium coming from?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What did you expect?

How much were those expectations tied to reality versus how much were they pipe dreams that you couldn't let go of?

Just curious because I'm not really disappointed by much other than the lack of a 32gb option and delaying of Moto Maker for Verizon.

I'm not super let down.....But I do wish it had an IR blaster and wireless charging. That woulda made my day better. Price I can deal with.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to wait for LG's announcement next week, and see if there is any info about the next Nexus phone or LG Optimus G2. I'm going to scratch the Moto X off my list. I will be looking forward for the the Note 3 or Nexus 5 announcements in the next few months.