For those who are let down...

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What did I expect? Anything other than this. This is a joke.

I expected stock Android at a reasonable price. Instead we got bloatware at a high-end price.

You know what they say when you assume things...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm aware... My point was who cares... the X doesn't have 1 redeeming feature that isn't available elsewhere for the same/similar price. The X was "supposed" to be a low priced phone that did everything really well (but perhaps not much amazingly well). The X still might do everything really well but it isn't at a low price. So that being said, unless you're OBSESSED with customization there isn't a reason to get an X for the sole reason (assuming it runs/reviews well) that is was priced horribly...

The x wasn't 'supposed' to be anything. Fanboys got it in their head that this was going to be a cheap phone, when there was absolutely nothing anywhere to support that idea.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I thought you were starting a support group!

I wasn't let down either, and not surprised. I am disappointed that they're using mid-range display, storage and processor - but selling it at flagship prices.

Seriously, who buys this over an S4 or One?

Posted via Android Central App

The processor is not mid range. It is a snapdragon 600 with half its cores chopped off. In benchmarks, it bests the S4 pro quad core.

If Samsung and HTC could get away with powering their 1080p screens with a dual core, they would. But those screens require too much power for that to be possible.

briankariu

May 8, 2012
Visit site

anon(5982890)

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The processor is not mid range. It is a snapdragon 600 with half its cores chopped off. In benchmarks, it bests the S4 pro quad core.

If Samsung and HTC could get away with powering their 1080p screens with a dual core, they would. But those screens require too much power for that to be possible.

If you ran those chips with a screen that was the same resolution as the Moto X, they would rape this phone.

Last edited:

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
If you ran those chips with a screen that was the same resolution as the Moto X, they would rape this phone.

But they're not, so that comment is a moot point. The only thing your comment means is that Motorola understands what is actually important to make a useful phone than the competition.

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

That's irrelevant. The fact of the matter is the Moto X runs just as well as the other top dogs because Moto took the time to optimize everything to achieve great performance and battery life.

In my opinion that R&D is just as valuable as taking the easy way out and slapping in a Snapdragon 600 or 800 because that's "the market standard."

As far as the screen goes, the Note 2 looks gorgeous with 5.5" at 720p. The Moto X should be fine with the same resolution and the same RGB arrangement at 4.7".

Posted via Android Central App

anon(5982890)

May 12, 2013
Visit site
But they're not, so that comment is a moot point. The only thing your comment means is that Motorola understands what is actually important to make a useful phone than the competition.

Just like benchmarking a video card for a computer, you cannot compare the two unless they are setup with the same environmental variables.

This is like saying a 5 year video card is better than a modern one because it can play Half Life at 140FPS on an 800x600 resolution, while the new one only plays the game at 80FPS on a 1600x1200 resolution.......they're not comparable at different resolutions.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Just like benchmarking a video card for a computer, you cannot compare the two unless they are setup with the same environmental variables.

This is like saying a 5 year video card is better than a modern one because it can play Half Life at 140FPS on an 800x600 resolution, while the new one only plays the game at 80FPS on a 1600x1200 resolution.......they're not comparable at different resolutions.
But I'm not interested in individual components. I'm interested in how they come together to provide a rich user experience.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
There is that still lingering question. When will we actually see this thing and get to check out how it performs. I believe that's the only thing I'm disappointed in. Motorola have not learned their Apple lesson yet. Announce the thing and have it available within two weeks.

I thought after the Chromecast launch, which was handled brilliantly, Google was on this. Release what you announce right away and have enough stock to fill orders.
Why announce if you don't even know when it's available?

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Actually the GPU which drives the screen *IS* the same.
It's just two less ARM cores that they replaced with two application specific processors.

If you look at the benchmarks for processing video via the HDMI, the performance is the same.
The device FPS is higher because the screen is lower resolution.

Anyway, the GPU is the same so let's stop debating GPU and video performance.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I have given Motorola the benefit of the doubt because I thought they put all their focus into battery life.. and then I read the moto x reviews today only to realize the phone has barely average battery life.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have given Motorola the benefit of the doubt because I thought they put all their focus into battery life.. and then I read the moto x reviews today only to realize the phone has barely average battery life.

What? I'm seeing great battery life, who is showing barely average?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
So far, out of the 5 or 6 reviews I've seen today, only Laptop Mag I've seen say that the battery life is about average.

Many other reviews have stated the phone getting easily 24-26 hours with very heavy use.