I've got the Moto X, you've got questions ? fire away!

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Dunno, but it's way more useful.

Posted via Android Central App

Would you mind elaborating a bit on that one, I'm curious as to why you feel that way? I think a lot of people really like lightflow and the ability to see which notifications they have just with a quick glance at the color of the LED.

Do you think this is the start of a shift during which LED notifications will disappear. Blackberry got me hooked to those ages ago..

Cheers

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Would you mind elaborating a bit on that one, I'm curious as to why you feel that way? I think a lot of people really like lightflow and the ability to see which notifications they have just with a quick glance at the color of the LED.

Do you think this is the start of a shift during which LED notifications will disappear. Blackberry got me hooked to those ages ago..

Cheers

Active display isn't just notification of an e-mail or text or whatever. A quick tap *shows* you the subject line or preview or whatever.

Doesn't change the fact that at some point I'll have to deal with the message ? it's not actionable from the active display ? but it's a quick look, and you get it without having to power up the display.

I haven't even started messing with the settings yet.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not calling the phone midrange; I don't like the term either. I was just referring to all of the spec-geek talk, which unnerves me a bit (even though I know it shouldn't). That's why I'm asking your opinion. Would you be comfortable signing a two-year contract on the Moto X?

I'm never comfortable signing a two-year contract for a phone. But I'm also not a normal consumer anymore. And, being perfectly honest here ? I'm not sure I can properly appreciate it like you guys. (That's why I need you to keep me honest. lol)

If it were my money every time? I'd probably save up and do Nexus every year.

bandityo

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Daily driver....coming from iphone5... I have an HTC ONE but size is getting to mah brains....MOTOX feels better in my hand may go that way.... I think it may win you over lol

steveb24

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info Phil. Two things:

1) Do you know if bootloaders are going to be locked on the X, specifically on AT&T, since they are notorious?

2) After using it a bit do you feel that the X can go toe to toe with the Galaxy S4, HTC One, and iPhone 5 priced the same? I won't call Moto X "mid-range", but the S4 and One do clearly out-spec the X, and iPhone of course has the Apple heritage and can always command a price premium. Key question for me is, does the X have enough stuff beyond the customization to directly compete at the $199 on contract level against those three heavy hitters?

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Sure hope we didn't ? and without a link, I can't tell ya. But that's not how NFC works, nor is it anything I ever heard of in regards to the Moto X.

I found the reference... It was on wired.com! Sorry, thought i read it here...

HANDS-FREE AUTHENTICATION. Only fools don?t protect their phones with a password, but it?s a pain in the neck to punch it in a few hundred times a day. Motorola plans to ease that pain (though not available at launch) by selling plastic tokens that can clip onto clothing?if the tab is within a few feet if the Moto X, no password necessary. (The tokens use NFC technology, built into the phones.) The Moto X will also let you set up password-free ?safe zones? like your car.

I guess I was a little off on my description. It says NFC and a few feet... I sure would love to get a couple feet out of NFC tags!

forpar

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Will the ok google now work when your phone is password protected? If so you mentioned that other people will set off your phone - will that mean that they can get by the password protection by saying ok google now?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Spec wise how does it compete? OK dual vs quad they win. But at 1.7gz speed the same Gpu the X has same same as s4 and one. Screen both are HD. As I see the X is slightly ahead of both phones. And motos radios and battery and above both devices. And yes it was reported yesterday the bootloader is locked. And cracking a moto bootloader is rough if not impossible.
Thanks for the info Phil. Two things:

1) Do you know if bootloaders are going to be locked on the X, specifically on AT&T, since they are notorious?

2) After using it a bit do you feel that the X can go toe to toe with the Galaxy S4, HTC One, and iPhone 5 priced the same? I won't call Moto X "mid-range", but the S4 and One do clearly out-spec the X, and iPhone of course has the Apple heritage and can always command a price premium. Key question for me is, does the X have enough stuff beyond the customization to directly compete at the $199 on contract level against those three heavy hitters?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

cvanlone

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey Phil,

Thanks for the Q&A! I'm required to have a PIN/Password on my phone for work emails, will Quick Capture or Touchless Control still work?

Practical Performance

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Sure. But it gives a good indication of a starting price point. Unless you want to suggest that LG is actually losing money on every N4 they sell....

Not being argumentative here. But trying to explain why people feel let down.

From my perspective, Google had an absolutely amazing opportunity here. With a $0 phone on contract, the sales pitch with always on voice commands and customizations would have been so compelling. They would have stolen marketshare. They would have eroded harward margins from Cupertino to Korea. With $300-$400 off-contract, they could have really made headway in emerging markets like India. Motorola and Google could have shown the world that cheap doesn't mean poor quality. Now? The iPhone 5C will launch with lots of colour options that achieves 80% of what the Moto X does on customizations, with iPhone 4S internals and likely a $400 price and eat Moto X's lunch.

To me, this has been Motorola's Z10 or Touchpad moment. They're done.

Why would/should Google push Motorola to sell at a lower price and make the other Android phone makers upset? Why would Google want to force competitors to lower their prices? It doesn't make sense to harm that relationship.

You and other "geeks" sharing the belief that this is a mid-range phone rather than a flagship phone are basing that on the hardware specs. The iPhone has inferior hardware specs in many regards, is it a mid-range phone?

Google/Motorola want to end the crazy spec war and show that what makes a phone a flagship is the experience it provides. From everything I've seen and read, the Moto X is absolutely a flagship phone experience.

techfan77

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
2 things: battery life and display quality (mainly about white reproduction). I had a galaxy nexus and those where the 2 things I hated about it. I'd like to know how the moto X handle those.

On a side note to all of us not in the USA, the moto X is showing up on brazilian e-tailers (though no price or availability yet). So I guess a worldwide rollout is coming pretty soon.