I've got the Moto X, you've got questions ? fire away!

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Sure if these forums really had any pull, Apple would be the worst smartphone selling company and Google would be making everybody Nexus devices and ignoring all the oems.

When was the last time Apple released a new iPhone, said it was gonna be on every carrier, really pushed certain features of it, but then said those features will only be available on iPhones from 1 specific carrier right now, but they will be available on iPhones on the other carriers...eventually. I can't stand Apple but they have marketing down to a science and they would never pull a bonehead move like that.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
When was the last time Apple released a new iPhone, said it was gonna be on every carrier, really pushed certain features of it, but then said those features will only be available on iPhones from 1 specific carrier right now, but they will be available on iPhones on the other carriers...eventually. I can't stand Apple but they have marketing down to a science and they would never pull a bonehead move like that.

They did that exact same thing with Siri.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
apples and oranges. He was talking about being able to buy/customize a device on all carriers at launch. Siri was a feature that only came to the newest device. Very different things.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
when exactly did that happen?

With the release of Siri, it wasn't available on all carriers and all countries even though the iPhone was a worldwide release.
apples and oranges. He was talking about being able to buy/customize a device on all carriers at launch. Siri was a feature that only came to the newest device. Very different things.

Not talking about the hardware. Siri wasn't even available for certain locales till IOS 6 came out.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
With the release of Siri, it wasn't available on all carriers and all countries even though the iPhone was a worldwide release.

Not talking about the hardware. Siri wasn't even available for certain locales till IOS 6 came out.

Siri was introduced with the iPhone 4s. Which carriers got the iPhone 4s when it first came out but those iPhone 4s didn't have Siri? Because that's what I said Apple wouldn't do.

wakazuki

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for answering the questions Phil.
Mine is one which has been often repeated without being answer to, I assume it's because you've had the phone for little time.
Now that you've had at least one full cycle, can you screenshot the on screen time when the battery is almost over? ( say 5%)
Thanks

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
when exactly did that happen?

Siri was introduced with the iPhone 4s. Which carriers got the iPhone 4s when it first came out but those iPhone 4s didn't have Siri? Because that's what I said Apple wouldn't do.

When Siri was released, not every Carrier that had an iPhone 4s had Siri activated.

Mapping, local search, and other features were only available in the United States, in other countries, a majority of the other features were disable.

Here is screenshot example.

26899_27.jpg

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
When Siri was released, not every Carrier that had an iPhone 4s had Siri activated.

Mapping, local search, and other features were only available in the United States, in other countries, a majority of the other features were disable.

Here is screenshot example.

http://657b072aab060d50f8ce-d7abb53cb376b4947d77643d4b4a48d3.r79.cf1.rackcdn.com/26899_27.jpg

This actually shows that the phones did have Siri. If they didn't then these screenshots wouldn't exist, but those phones clearly had Siri. Did it work well? no, but I think everyone is well aware that when it was introduced it was actually still in beta and had tons of bugs. But those phones certainly did have Siri.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
This actually shows that the phones did have Siri. If they didn't then these screenshots wouldn't exist, but those phones clearly had Siri. Did it work well? no, but I think everyone is well aware that when it was introduced it was actually still in beta and had tons of bugs. But those phones certainly did have Siri.

I didn't go through every carrier. There were several carriers that did not have Siri available or activated till IOS 6.

You are also working against your own argument.

Moto X has customization, it isn't available for everybody yet.

Instead of bugs, they might have supply constraints because nobody else has done this with a smartphone before. Maybe they don't know who wants what color. What if they under order pink and get too many pink orders. Maybe they hired 2000 people and do to demand from ATT alone they realize they need to hire another 1000 people.

This idea is just as much in Beta as anything else.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't go through every carrier. There were several carriers that did not have Siri available or activated till IOS 6.

You are also working against your own argument.

Moto X has customization, it isn't available for everybody yet.

Instead of bugs, they might have supply constraints because nobody else has done this with a smartphone before. Maybe they don't know who wants what color. What if they under order pink and get too many pink orders. Maybe they hired 2000 people and do to demand from ATT alone they realize they need to hire another 1000 people.

This idea is just as much in Beta as anything else.

How am I working against my own argument? I said Apple wouldn't release a new iphone to all carriers, promote a feature on those iphones and not have it available at certain carriers. When the iphone 4s came out, you could go to any carrier that sold the iphone 4s, ask for an iphone 4s with Siri and get an iphone 4s with Siri. I can't speak to the mindset of the sheep that would want a phone with a half-baked feature, but the fact is if you wanted an iphone 4s with Siri, you got an iphone 4s with Siri. With the moto x, if you want a moto x that you can customize and aren't on AT&T you're SOL. That's a boneheaded move and nobody with any marketing sense would make that kind of move. If they can't handle the demand for it, then don't promote it as a feature.

bryantest

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Question

If you're going to issue voice commands to the Moto X - simple voice commands like setting the time alarm - does that mean the phone still has to be connected to the 'Net via Wi-Fi or 4G/3G data connection?

Thanks!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to issue voice commands to the Moto X - simple voice commands like setting the time alarm - does that mean the phone still has to be connected to the 'Net via Wi-Fi or 4G/3G data connection?

Unless they've modified Google Now for the X, you have to have some sort of connection to the Internet. I just tried it with my Galaxy Nexus in airplane mode and it didn't work.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Unless they've modified Google Now for the X, you have to have some sort of connection to the Internet. I just tried it with my Galaxy Nexus in airplane mode and it didn't work.

Only thing mine will do without any data connection is make phone calls. (It will search for names/numbers locally)

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

How am I working against my own argument? I said Apple wouldn't release a new iphone to all carriers, promote a feature on those iphones and not have it available at certain carriers. When the iphone 4s came out, you could go to any carrier that sold the iphone 4s, ask for an iphone 4s with Siri

Once again, it was not available on all carriers. I listed Canadian Carriers as an example of missing features. There were several carriers around the world who didn't get Siri till at least a year after its release.

Last edited: