I've got the Moto X, you've got questions ? fire away!

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to activate speaker phone while using the touchless controls?

In other words, if I say "OK, Google Now, call Mom"......is there any way to turn on speakerphone without having to touch the screen?

I'd like to know this as well. I read somewhere that you cannot, but would love to know for sure.

Edit: i just saw a video online that did just that.

Last edited:

bbdub

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Phil, there were rumors that Moto X would have two antennas dedicated to 4G/LTE (Dual LTE MIMO Smart Antennas) to deliver great LTE performance. Did this turn out to be true? Thanks for answering all of our questions! It is great for those of us deciding between buying this or another device.

bryantest

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
About the off-contract prices by AT&T..

$579 - 16 GB
$629 - 32 GB

Are those prices for the "unlocked" version of the phone??

Thanks!

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
About the off-contract prices by AT&T..

$579 - 16 GB
$629 - 32 GB

Are those prices for the "unlocked" version of the phone??

Thanks!
They would still be locked, however, AT&T should be willing to give you an unlock code if you buy off contract. I think the general consensus is that at some point, there will be Google Play editions? Maybe wait for one of those? (cheaper pricing possibly?)

eyesopen1111

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So what is the screen on time for the MotoX? Like if you put a movie on loop, how long before a fully charged phone runs to zero charge? I'm worried by your comment that Motorola calculates battery life with various assumptions about "average" use and I want something more objective. Thanks.

What is the Antutu benchmark score for your device? Can you please run it and take a screen shot for those who are interested?

Many thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Practical Performance

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Once again. I'm not saying that Motorola should have sold this device at cost. I'm saying they could have traded the ridiculously high margins for market share. Especially given that their components costs are reasonably low and their software development costs are tiny. Even if the build cost was $300, they could have sold this for $400 off-contract and taken in 25% margins.

In any event, we'll get to see very soon if the public really is as dumb as they think they are and that they can capture marketshare just by offering customization.

I would NEVER call myself "dumb" or lump myself with "public" with regard to tech knowledge and making a decision such as which smartphone to buy, and I'll be purchasing this phone. I don't want the phone because of customization, I want it because the design and features align closer to what's important to me with regard to a phone.

A lot of Android enthusiasts are up in arms about the lack of a quad-core processor and a 1080p screen, but I think Motorola's decisions are brilliant and they're got a real winner on their hands.

Unless gaming or perhaps video processing large files, I doubt there is a perceptible difference in user experience between dual-core and quad-core. The processor in this outperforms 2012 flagships such as the Samsung Galaxy S3 and it has the same GPU as the Snapdragon 600 in the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One. Motorola keeps Android near stock and adds useful things to it, rather than changing Android for the sake of differentiation - I hate the S4's skin TouchWiz and I'm not too fond of HTC's sense either. I like stock Android and I like Moto X's software features added on top.

I applaud Motorola for scaling back on the cores and the screen. On a sub-5 inch phone, 720p and 1080p are nearly indistinguishable and the GPU will actually run faster with a lower resolution. I also would prefer a "smaller" phone with a ~4.5 inch screen instead of a 5 inch monster. I carry this around everywhere in my pocket. We will also see better battery life because of this.

I turn on my phone and unlock it all the time to glance at notifications - Motorola's active display sounds like a godsend.

I turn on my phone and unlock it in the car to issue voice commands to call, text, navigate frequently - always-on voice commands sounds fantastic.

I take most of my photos indoors of my daughter - the Moto X has a clear pixel camera with better low-light performance.

I hate having to unlock my phone all the time with a PIN - the Moto X has trusted bluetooth sources that will disable the lock screen security, and I read Motorola is working on a NFC "patch" that will do that same thing.

My Samsung Galaxy Nexus runs Android 4.2.2 pretty well, I would like it a little snappier on occasion, but what really irritates me is the poor battery life. The Moto X is WAY faster with much better battery life.

Do I wish it were cheaper? Of course. But Moto X is innovative with features that actually matter (unlike the S4's stupid features IMO) in a well-built phone of reasonable size and a great user experience. Moto X gets my $200 over HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, and iPhone 5.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
for most of the same reasons, I am eagerly looking forward to the us versions of the "mini" phones. (s4 and one). The s4 mini, in particular, iuds looking to be a market leader in battery life, and feel goods in the hand.

leo

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
How does the Moto X compare to the new Moto Droid line? If I am in the market for a motorolla device right now and cost is not the deciding factor, what should my preference be?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
How does the Moto X compare to the new Moto Droid line? If I am in the market for a motorolla device right now and cost is not the deciding factor, what should my preference be?

I would love to see somebody that has access to all of these chime in on this question, but here is how I am scoring from what I can read.

There are no features other than customization/form factor that are exclusive to the Moto X, down to and including the dual LTE antennas. So the Droid Ultra and MAXX will look different, but will have all of the cool features included in the Moto X.

The MAXX has a slightly bigger screen, much bigger battery, wireless charging and 32GB (vs. 16 GB on the Ultra and X). These will cost you $100, and are well worth it for me. As much as I like the idea of customizing a phone, I like the Maxx extras too much. Since cost is the the object for you, I think this is the decision you will need to make.

The Ultra has the bigger screen, but all else is essentially equal. At this point, for me the form factor and customization (when it comes) gives the nod to the Moto X over the Ultra. The X just seems like it will be nicer to hold, and eventually you will be able to customize on Verizon as well. The question is, are you willing to wait? If I change my mind and go this route, I will wait for the X.

I am not interested in the Mini, but it is smaller and will be missing the active display. Giving those up will save you $100.

TL;DR Maxx > Moto X >Ultra > Mini

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
They would still be locked, however, AT&T should be willing to give you an unlock code if you buy off contract. I think the general consensus is that at some point, there will be Google Play editions? Maybe wait for one of those? (cheaper pricing possibly?)

more exciting would be a developer edition. You would not loose the important features that motorola added in, but all of the bloatware would be gone.

leo

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
SteelGator, thank you. Cost is NOT the factor I am deciding on, so if MAXX is better I will definitely get it. I am just really confused by why they would hype the X so much and release it side by side with the MAXX if the MAXX is the premium device. It is really baffling consumer messaging. Can't help but think that the Moto X somehow represents a new generation, while MAXX is best of the old. Or am I overthinking this?

Would love for an expert to chime in

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
The main difference between the X and the Droid Ultra/Maxx besides the screen size and battery is the navigation buttons. One the X they are software buttons while the Droids use physical touch capacitive buttons like previous Droid devices. It really comes down to what you're looking for, as tempted as I am by the Maxx and the insane battery life, the X looks like it's "good enough". I personally prefer the size of the X as well over the new Droids so those are the differentiating features for me.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
SteelGator, thank you. Cost is NOT the factor I am deciding on, so if MAXX is better I will definitely get it. I am just really confused by why they would hype the X so much and release it side by side with the MAXX if the MAXX is the premium device. It is really baffling consumer messaging. Can't help but think that the Moto X somehow represents a new generation, while MAXX is best of the old. Or am I overthinking this?

Would love for an expert to chime in

I an not an expert, but I think Moto is hyping the X because it is available on all the carriers. The Droids are only on Verizon so they will take the lead on that marketing. Droid marketing and hype is coming. It will be interesting to see how they approach the features. There is the potential for customers to become confused.

Also, I think you are right in that the X is the new guard, the design of the device seems more elegant. It will be interesting to see if future Droids diverge from then Moto phones. I wish the MAXX had the X design.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Can't help but think that the Moto X somehow represents a new generation, while MAXX is best of the old. Or am I overthinking this?

That's exactly one of the reasons why I want an X over one of the Droids. I want to move forward with the new Motorola.

cheeto0

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Ive read that t-mobile users will have to buy it from Motorola's site. Will it be a carrier unlocked version or a t-mobile version. And if its carrier unlocked does that mean it will be customizable (motomaker)?