How are Moto X buyers justifying the price?

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I get a kick out of this. Yes we have not had the phone in hand yet to see how it performs. The question though posed by the OP is quite valid. If this wasn't a Googlrola and another company tried to pass this off as all sunshine and rainbows. You know the community would laugh them off the stage. Instead we have people who are trying desperately to justify why this is the right price point for it. For myself I won't be on contract anymore. So that doesn't mean as much. What has been mentioned but not fully confirmed either way is what the non contract and or unlocked pricing will be. At 575-630 for an off contract one from ATT, that is just a deal breaker for this kit. This cpu isn't a quad even if it's based on one and the bit of how you get to 8 cores is a joke in itself. Based on this tech in this it should have been much closer to what Google is selling the N4 for say 400-450. Had they done this with what they did with the software and they would have had a hit on their hands. As of now I can wait for the price drop when they need to move these.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I get a kick out of this. Yes we have not had the phone in hand yet to see how it performs. The question though posed by the OP is quite valid. If this wasn't a Googlrola and another company tried to pass this off as all sunshine and rainbows. You know the community would laugh them off the stage. Instead we have people who are trying desperately to justify why this is the right price point for it. For myself I won't be on contract anymore. So that doesn't mean as much. What has been mentioned but not fully confirmed either way is what the non contract and or unlocked pricing will be. At 575-630 for an off contract one from ATT, that is just a deal breaker for this kit. This cpu isn't a quad even if it's based on one and the bit of how you get to 8 cores is a joke in itself. Based on this tech in this it should have been much closer to what Google is selling the N4 for say 400-450. Had they done this with what they did with the software and they would have had a hit on their hands. As of now I can wait for the price drop when they need to move these.

Okay, we heard you, it doesn't have a quad core. thanks. get a nexus.

"Even though the Galaxy S 4 retains our Editors' Choice, if I was to personally pick an Android phone right now, the Moto X would be my phone". -PC magazine

Last edited:

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

If this phone came from any manufacturer other than ZTE or Pantech I'd still be interested. I'm interested because of the battery life, innovative developments in software married with hardware, size, performance (framerate leading to smoothness), with the minimal adjustments on stock Android. I hate Touchwiz and Sense.

You keep harping on the specs not being good enough yet I wouldn't be surprised if it was much cheaper to get off the shelf quad core processors to toss into the phone than doing the engineering work to R&D the DSPs to where they can achieve all the features in the Moto X providing the hands free capabilities with a battery life that blows the other flagship's out the water with a smaller battery allowing for an amazing form factor.

There is absolutely no way the GS4 is worth 50-100 dollars more than the Moto X because it has substantially worse performance and cannot last as long on its battery without babysitting it.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
There is absolutely no way the GS4 is worth 50-100 dollars more than the Moto X because it has substantially worse performance and cannot last as long on its battery without babysitting it.
My favorite is the GS4 owners who claim they get "great" battery life, then go on to list all the features they've had to disable to get there.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My favorite is the GS4 owners who claim they get "great" battery life, then go on to list all the features they've had to disable to get there.

BINGO. If you have to disable all of those fancy features, why exactly would you bother shelling out the money when you can get a Moto X (or a nexus 4 for that matter) with better battery life without having to disable anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
So why not consider an Iphone 5? Or the Iphone 6 when it comes out? If you know, specs don't matter and all that matters is that it works fluidly.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So why not consider an Iphone 5? Or the Iphone 6 when it comes out? If you know, specs don't matter and all that matters is that it works fluidly.

?? That doesn't even make sense on an Android site. If you're gonna take up space in a sub-forum just to be annoying, at least make sense. On 2nd thought, never mind.

We get it, it doesn't have a quad core. If we wanted the phone you have, we'd buy it....Shouldn't you be out buying an S5, i mean, an LG G2. I hear it's AmZIng and has a faster cpu! If you are unable to understand everything everyone has said, you're never going to get it, so stop asking/saying the same thing over and over again. You had a moto, you like the S4 better. Enjoy it.

Last edited:

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
That is not all that matters.

The reasons why I won't go back to iOS is because:
-I want actual tabbed browsers and smooth access to bookmarks as my phones default (That's why I use Dolphin)
-I loathe tapping on my keyboard (That's why I use Swype)
-I want quick settings toggles throughout my phone (available in the notification shade)
-I want a widget to keep my weekly calendar persistently on my homescreens
-I want better control over my lockscreen (via Widgetlocker)
-I want to be able to navigate between apps (not just recently used ones) without taking the extra steps to back out to my home screens (That's why I use SwipePad)
-I want to always know where app settings are located (That's why I loathe the new software buttons got rid of the menu button), but the new option is more reliable than iOS
-I want to have direct dial shortcuts to my wife on my homescreen, swipepad, or lockscreen so I can easily call if I need to with just two taps.
-I like my weather and clock widgets on my lockscreen
-I love having my data usage in a widget on my home screen
-I love being able to see a breakdown of what all is using my battery/data
-Tasker is wonderful

The thing is that I can get ALL these features plus an amazing form factor, great screen, great battery life, AND still some of the smoothest performing UI with the Moto X.

The GS4 can do all these features as well, but I always feel the sacrifices most times I would use it because it is to large and thin to easily fit in my hands and use one-handed, the phones stutter way to much, and the battery life is uninspiring (due to it struggling to power the screen and processors needing to work overtime to provide the screen)

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
That is not all that matters.

The reasons why I won't go back to iOS is because:
-I want actual tabbed browsers and smooth access to bookmarks as my phones default (That's why I use Dolphin)
-I loathe tapping on my keyboard (That's why I use Swype)
-I want quick settings toggles throughout my phone (available in the notification shade)
-I want a widget to keep my weekly calendar persistently on my homescreens
-I want better control over my lockscreen (via Widgetlocker)
-I want to be able to navigate between apps (not just recently used ones) without taking the extra steps to back out to my home screens (That's why I use SwipePad)
-I want to always know where app settings are located (That's why I loathe the new software buttons got rid of the menu button), but the new option is more reliable than iOS
-I want to have direct dial shortcuts to my wife on my homescreen, swipepad, or lockscreen so I can easily call if I need to with just two taps.
-I like my weather and clock widgets on my lockscreen
-I love having my data usage in a widget on my home screen
-I love being able to see a breakdown of what all is using my battery/data
-Tasker is wonderful

The thing is that I can get ALL these features plus an amazing form factor, great screen, great battery life, AND still some of the smoothest performing UI with the Moto X.

The GS4 can do all these features as well, but I always feel the sacrifices most times I would use it because it is to large and thin to easily fit in my hands and use one-handed, the phones stutter way to much, and the battery life is uninspiring (due to it struggling to power the screen and processors needing to work overtime to provide the screen)

You don't have to tell me, kizzle. I left the Iphone world and have tried to for many years.
For me the Iphone is a good phone with good warranty/servicing/ecosystem. However that's all it is: Good. It doesn't branch out or try different things. It's just good, not spectacular. This is what attracted me to Android: there were mfg's willing to risk it to try something new and if it failed back to the drawing board. Finally they got it right in my opinion in the past year or so.
Mostly I've been waiting for better audio, and camera experience on top of all the extra goodies Android comes with.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
You done?

I think if someone is happy with the Moto X from what they are hearing so far, they should just say so. Nothing wrong with that. No need for justification.

It's just funny when people want a fluid experience, don't care for gimmicky features, and want amazing battery life when the Iphone could provide all of that. Nope instead they just absolutely want those extra set of features found in android, as gimmicky as they may seem to iphone users (whom by the way seem to do just fine without them).
Isn't it the Android experience in general compared to the iPhone experience same principle that drove Samsung to include so many features in their phone, and let you turn them off if you didn't want them? Heck even provided an easy mode.

What's that called? Oh yes, choice.

With the S4 I have the choice of taking:
* Beautiful pictures far better than the Moto X and so far better than any other smartphone there for the obvious exception of the extremes: the Nokia 1020.
* Choice to carry a pack of 10, 20, or 30 batteries to go on for a month without ever charging, not to mention make it very cheap to replace the battery: about $20-$40. Or just get one large battery (7000+mah) to last me more than the Moto X could.
* Choice of not only increasing, but having multiple SD cards for storage concerns.
* Choice of servicing my own phone because it isn't glued together instead it's mostly screwed together and isn't terribly difficult.
* Choice of voice controlling or gesturing my music player.
Bleh.

Edit:
Notice how I didn't even bring up the fact that most of you guys haven't even used the Moto X and are only going by what you hear? Nor did I attack your character or mock you?
Yeah.

You are correct that the Galaxy S4 does have its benefits, one being a removeable battery, but as I found with my Galaxy S2 it's to much of a hassle to worry about switching batteries mid-day. If I want to go on camping trips or I'm worried about something taking out power to the neighborhood then I'll get a solar recharger and have much more than 20-30 days of additional battery life.

I am not going to worry about servicing my own phone. I haven't cracked a screen in the entire time I've had phones and the only time I've had to replace any parts was hopefully the digitizer on my Atrix 4G I believe there were other things wrong that this wouldn't fix.

The SD card is a big annoyance for me, but one that I can easily overcome on my 32 gb choice, the 50 gb of free Google Drive storage, and my thankfully grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Data plan. I have no idea how Verizons customers put up with constantly being shafted like this.

The big tradeoff for anything in my opinion with the GS4 is most definitely the size and form factor of the phone. I virtually never use my phone two-handed, and I don't plan on it. I have always found it much easier to navigate with most anything one-handed and the Moto X appears to be packing more overall capability than the GS4 in a smaller body, with the smoothness (according to reviews) to rival the kings of UI smoothness.

Truly in my view the Moto X is a package that I need to make no compromises with, as opposed to how I've always seen my using the GS4. If it was up to me and the Moto X wasn't coming out I would probably be waiting till next year to use my upgrade. (I actually wouldn't, I would probably be forced to make an unhappy compromise and be frustrated using my phone because my wife really needs to upgrade her phone and wants my current one.)

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
You are correct that the Galaxy S4 does have its benefits, one being a removeable battery, but as I found with my Galaxy S2 it's to much of a hassle to worry about switching batteries mid-day. If I want to go on camping trips or I'm worried about something taking out power to the neighborhood then I'll get a solar recharger and have much more than 20-30 days of additional battery life.

I am not going to worry about servicing my own phone. I haven't cracked a screen in the entire time I've had phones and the only time I've had to replace any parts was hopefully the digitizer on my Atrix 4G I believe there were other things wrong that this wouldn't fix.

The SD card is a big annoyance for me, but one that I can easily overcome on my 32 gb choice, the 50 gb of free Google Drive storage, and my thankfully grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Data plan. I have no idea how Verizons customers put up with constantly being shafted like this.

The big tradeoff for anything in my opinion with the GS4 is most definitely the size and form factor of the phone. I virtually never use my phone two-handed, and I don't plan on it. I have always found it much easier to navigate with most anything one-handed and the Moto X appears to be packing more overall capability than the GS4 in a smaller body, with the smoothness (according to reviews) to rival the kings of UI smoothness.

Truly in my view the Moto X is a package that I need to make no compromises with, as opposed to how I've always seen my using the GS4. If it was up to me and the Moto X wasn't coming out I would probably be waiting till next year to use my upgrade. (I actually wouldn't, I would probably be forced to make an unhappy compromise and be frustrated using my phone because my wife really needs to upgrade her phone and wants my current one.)

Thanks for your posting in a civilized manner. Much appreciated.
I envy my sister for her unlimited data.
May I ask what in your opinion is a good size for a screen on a smartphone for you?

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your posting in a civilized manner. Much appreciated.
I envy my sister for her unlimited data.
May I ask what in your opinion is a good size for a screen on a smartphone for you?

My preferred screen size has been 4.3-4.5 inches in previous phones. My favorite phone so far has been my Atrix 4g. Then i went up to the 4.3" Galaxy S2 and hated it although the screen size and phone size wasn't bad. Then I moved onto the Xperia TL with its 4.5" screen although it has software buttons so more or less 4.3 with a size very close to the GS2.
I'm liking very much that the Moto X is really staying in the same size range although it has a bigger screen.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
My preferred screen size has been 4.3-4.5 inches in previous phones. My favorite phone so far has been my Atrix 4g. Then i went up to the 4.3" Galaxy S2 and hated it although the screen size and phone size wasn't bad. Then I moved onto the Xperia TL with its 4.5" screen although it has software buttons so more or less 4.3 with a size very close to the GS2.
I'm liking very much that the Moto X is really staying in the same size range although it has a bigger screen.

How did you like your Atrix 4G. Mine was not so good, so many defects, buggy, low performance overall and the screen was not good.
It burned me out of android for a while that's why I stuck to the Iphone for a while, occasionally trying an android here and there.

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't have plans to buy this phone simply because I'm over buying anything that's not stock android now after having so many flagship phones that continue to lag, never get good support from the manufacturer and that relies on carriers to determine when the updates roll out (I'm on Verizon, so expect this phone to take forever to get updated), but I do like what Motorola is doing here. Now, all they need to do is get Google behind the marketing to pull it off. Essentially, they are just doing something Apple has done for years = focus on end user experience and not hardware. iPhone's have never had the top specs compared to Android's released at the same time, but they were never bad either. That's the same case here with the Moto X. It's not the top, but it's not the worst. It's arguably "just right" for what they are trying to accomplish = smooth user experience with useful features.

If you've used a Nexus 4 - even with its now year-old hardware - that phone just clearly outperforms every other Android smartphone on the market. It's super smooth. Stock android - or any software for that matter that has been optimized for maximum performance (something 'skinned' versions of Android often don't do - runs smooth. The Moto X is 90% or more stock with just a few tweaks Moto added. To me, this is something OEM's have needed to do for a long time... leave the design alone and just make a few tweaks to things you want to add instead of doing all of these insane skins and redesigns that lags the experience. Smartphones such as the S4 would perform better had the skin stayed the same and instead they just added things like multi-window or whatever they wanted.

Motorola is also playing to their strengths. Their design team sucks in every way imaginable - software and hardware. Yup, I said it. Every skinned phone they've made is hideous and even their hardware to me for the most part is typically hideous. The Moto X is just less hideous than Razr's, but to me it's not a great looking phone. It's just a screen. There's no character really and Moto Maker only matters if you don't want to throw a case on it (I do), but in the end that might not be a bad thing. Going with stock android eliminates the use of their horrible graphics team entirely, smooths out the experience, makes them the only OEM with a smartphone that has a near-stock experience on all carriers and allows them to update quicker (again: the issue here is that carriers will still play politics when determining WHEN they want to release updates, so don't expect them quick... it won't be much different than it is now other than the fact that Motorola will likely complete the update a lot sooner, but carriers will still delay it). If I was going to stick with non-stock smartphones I'd get the Moto X hands down, regardless of the price, as long as it came with 32gb minimum at that $199.99 price point.

I think with the right marketing this will do very well. The issue is marketing. Consumers have been taught to believe that better hardware = better experience and that's just not true. Software is greater than hardware in this industry. Plus, you have to remember that most sales reps will be selling against this phone because of its hardware for that very same reason (they aren't any smarter than the typical consumer and believe that hardware matters most). So, really...again, it will come down to marketing.

So far, most that have played with it say the experience almost matches stock in terms of speed - as it should. Given the huge battery life improvement that's a huge selling factor as well. The price shouldn't bother too many people because you should be buying a piece of technology based on "how well it works" and "not what's in it". That's what Apple sells their premium priced everything under and you see it works for them...so, why shouldn't it work for others as well?

.... release a version of the Moto X that isn't dependent on Verizon for software approval and I may very well pick it up...

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
For some weird reason, I believe I am actually one of the most levelheaded posts in this thread.

Not to sound repetitive either, I justify any price for an item by paying for it.

PS3 release week. All the crying and complaining about the 499/599 price. I gladly went and opened up my wallet and bought it.
I got to enjoy it before anybody else did without any conditions or attachments holding me back.

So a smartphone is the same way, if a person is going to enjoy these features they are going to buy it regardless of that 199 price point.

Maybe in 2 months or 6 months it will the price will drop down to a point were your expectations feels reasonable.
That is great but others have already enjoyed and used the phone before you choose too.
Or chances are you weren't going to buy the phone anyways because if you really wanted it, you would find a way to buy it at the 199 price point.

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
The one thing that is very obvious in this thread, people are very defensive about their phone choices. I think a lot of people forget that, our phones are an extension of ourselves. Esp with the way phones are made these days. People don't need to exactly "justify" their phone choice to anyone else but themselves. This phone has features and specs that belong to itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89